Insurance for older grey market bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for older grey market bikes

mxs

Site Supporter
I think Jevco, now Intact, is gouging me a bit. What started as reasonable 300$/year policy (250cc bike with value of about 3K), to 586$ when Intact took over. I'd like to fire these guys, because I don't consider it a reasonable rate anymore (no change on my record or location). The problem in the past was always short VIN of those bikes (9 digits), so Jevco was the only option willing to insure these bikes.

Has anything changed or am I stuck with the only game in "town"?

Thanks

I'm in the same situation too. I called around and had to stay with John R Duffy (Intact) for my grey market bikes.

The couple of guys I asked were also with Intact.
I've wondered about State Farm... have you tried contacting them?

State Farm would insure the bike I believe (I used to be with them ... unless something has changed), but .... you have to give them car insurance, which has been a no-go for me as I am not willing to give them anything else.

I need someone who can do it stand-alone ....

I have an '87 CBR250 insured with Renata Midura (State Farm broker) - just the bike - with no issues.

SF should be the easiest. Because of the way they rate by CC, the vin doesnt really matter and they enter it as a xxx cc and vin is just for identification purpose. the agent you talked to about having to move your car over is full of ----

Which bike?

I was considering importing a 1997 Aprilia RS250 before I bought my RS125 but insurance wouldn't give me a quote until after I imported it and put it in the MTO system and the only guy I could find (who is on this board) said he had a hard time finding anyone to insure it so I didn't bother even though it would've been about the same price.

SF higher than current Jevco I have .... I guess they will all gouge the small cc great market bikes. Case closed ... LOL

Which bike?

I was considering importing a 1997 Aprilia RS250 before I bought my RS125 but insurance wouldn't give me a quote until after I imported it and put it in the MTO system and the only guy I could find (who is on this board) said he had a hard time finding anyone to insure it so I didn't bother even though it would've been about the same price.

SF will do it, give them a call, just don't expect 200$ a year because it's a small cc bike ... unless you are 60 living in Algonquin park ... LOL

https://www.statefarm.ca/agent/CA/ON/Mississauga/Renata-Midura-13YQR1YS000

Jevco/Intact is your other option, they will probably less expensive ... if it's a standalone motorcycle quote ... without any other product buying from SF.

Too late now. I just went with the 125. I have no vehicles with SF because their Toronto rates are garbage. They flat out told me their GTA rates are garbage. Their apartment rental insurance is cheap, though, not that I know how my coverage compares to the other companies that wanted way more.

Back
Top Bottom