Ideas for cylinder bolt tool? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ideas for cylinder bolt tool?

Wingboy

Site Supporter
Not sure how I'm going to torque this cylinder bolt.Maybe something like a Ducati cylinder bolt tool.The other 3 will be ok with a 3" long torx T45 bit.The coolant pipe above the bolt is pressed in.Bike is a 2011 Ossa trialer.Any ideas?
P1010060_zpse004efdc.jpg

Last edited:
Drive the bit out of the socket and turn it with a wrench
or
Use a ball-end allen key.

When you put it back together use a socket head screw.

I'd ask Robbie Lang at Langs Off-road. The man knows Ossa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So somebody at the factory must have had a doohickey to torque that when it was built. If you use a torx bit , a universal joint and a short extention how wonky do torque settings get? enough to be an issue?

There's only 29.5mm between the top of the bolt and the bottom of the coolant pipe.

I wouldn't swap out the fastener. European vehicles are filled with Torx and E fasteners, and there's a reason - they are much more resistant to stripping out than traditional socket-head and hex fasteners. Sure, you need to buy another socket set, but the fasteners are better in the long run.

That is an ignorant spot for a bolt, though. I presume you can get a short Torx socket in there - or a Torx key.

Sacrifice a suitable socket by cutting slots in it so that the Torx key can slip up inside it sideways, then you can use that as an improvised offset socket and apply your torque wrench to the Torx key via the slotted socket. Apply the torque at 90 degrees to the direction that the key is slipped through the slotted socket so that you aren't changing the distance that you are applying leverage to.

Torx bit in a 1/4" crows foot wrench on the torque wrench. I'm not sure how the offset provided by the crows foot would affect the torque reading/setting.

gedore-6535940-688-tx-t25-screwdriver-bit-1-4-torx-w-pilot-t25.jpg

TMCO14.jpg

Great help guys.Thanks a lot.The bolts are torqued to 25Nm.The convertor is perfect,thanks.

Last edited:
This is absolutely not helpful at all, but I'm curious what the torque spec on the bolt is? It doesn't look very substantial

If you go this route there are tons of formulas online for it. Example: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/renderers/torquewrench/wrench_formula_en.asp?type=180degcrow

thx for the link. Apparently, it is just the ratio of original length to the torque wrench to torque wrench plus crows foot. I wasn't sure how things worked with the clicker in the middle of the torque arm.

Back
Top Bottom