longevity of car electronics | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

longevity of car electronics

My Hyundai has a proximity ignition switch. If the battery in the device dies I can't start my car even if it is 100%. For the ultimate in reliability go for a mini-bike with a Briggs and Stratton engine.

Are you talking about the battery in the proximity key? It's a standard watch type battery available anywhere. Even if the battery dies in it, the car will start if you press the start button with the key.

The only time a NAV system/reverse camera has been problematic is when it's an aftermarket unit. The OEM stuff is usually pretty good.

Like any piece of electronics, they can and do fail. It's a given, the more electronic doodads you put into a car, the higher chance you'll have of something failing.

So are we back to the days where "imports" are better than domestic...in relation to electronics?

We never got to a point that domestics were better than imports (please don't hate me domestic lovers).

We never got to a point that domestics were better than imports (please don't hate me domestic lovers).
That's true, but we did get to a point where the domestics are close enough that it no longer makes sense to distinguish reliability based on geography. There is more variance between makes from the same region then their is variance between regions (well, except maybe for the Euro brands which are quite regularly below average).

Funny, the Toyota dealer was trying to sell the extended warranty for covering the electronics and not needed for Toyota mechanicals.

20 minutes did the trick on a 2011 Escape, did the fuse pull thing as well. Worked well after that.

I disconnected the battery for a few hrs, but the radio channels didn't reset... and I still get the "No AUX" msg.

Aren't the radio channels supposed to disappear when the battery is disconnected ?

must have an aux batt somewhere.

Head unit probably has an on board battery backup. May need to pull it and find the reset button on the back.

I disconnected the battery for a few hrs, but the radio channels didn't reset... and I still get the "No AUX" msg.

Aren't the radio channels supposed to disappear when the battery is disconnected ?
Did you pull the fuse for the radio as well? There were 2 in th escape, one for the radio and one for Sync.

The cars with the most gizmos tend to get the worst reliability ratings. I remember years ago reading about how Mercedes was basically at the bottom for reliability so they pulled out a bunch of their electronic gizmos and their reliability score went way up.

Personally I think most of that stuff is just more to break and unnecessary junk added to the car. If I walk into a dealership and they start ranting about the electronic crap on the car, I usually walk away. I care more about power/torque curves, manual trans, AWD, etc. Any other electronic junk can be added later, if I so desire, usually for less money. And I don't want it anyway.

Did you pull the fuse for the radio as well? There were 2 in th escape, one for the radio and one for Sync.

I only pulled the Sync fuse, and didn't bother to pull out the radio fuse as it didn't occur to me. I will try that and report back.

What I still don't understand is how the radio stations don't reset after battery disconnection.. All the info on web suggests that they should disappear, as Ford and most other manufacturers use "keep alive memory".

I only pulled the Sync fuse, and didn't bother to pull out the radio fuse as it didn't occur to me. I will try that and report back.

What I still don't understand is how the radio stations don't reset after battery disconnection.. All the info on web suggests that they should disappear, as Ford and most other manufacturers use "keep alive memory".
I Googled your problem and found a few people commenting that pulling the battery didn't work. One guy said his didn't reset until he put the car in drive. Other people said things connected to the system can make it not reset.

There are some comments at the end of this: http://fordtechlane.com/myford-touch-problems-consider-this-reboot-workshop/

Hope it helps.

A momentary disconnect does nil with my jeep, gotta drain the residual power by turning the key to on.

A few hours is more than a momentary disconnect. On my Outlander a few minutes will clear any engine codes but won't clear the presets.

Registered onto a Ford forum and starting a thread there. I will post the results here. Hopefully my unit is not toasted.

I Googled your problem and found a few people commenting that pulling the battery didn't work. One guy said his didn't reset until he put the car in drive. Other people said things connected to the system can make it not reset.

There are some comments at the end of this: http://fordtechlane.com/myford-touch-problems-consider-this-reboot-workshop/

Hope it helps.

Thanks but doesn't apply to mine as this is for Sync Touch, and mine is Sync.

A momentary disconnect does nil with my jeep, gotta drain the residual power by turning the key to on.

I read about this as well. Some people recommend sticking in a USB charger in the lighter socket so it fully drains the surrounding areas, but then I never took my USB charger out to begin with..

Not charging, but it has a blue light on it that is always on. I imagine that the mini light bulb should be sufficient to draw out the current.

Back
Top Bottom