Leaking oil from drain bolt | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leaking oil from drain bolt

ummmm......... jb weld? heli coils? how about a good tech and a tig welder? Sandy or Z would probably charge like 40-50 and its like new.

ummmm......... jb weld? heli coils? how about a good tech and a tig welder? Sandy or Z would probably charge like 40-50 and its like new.
My thoughts exactly. Helicoil might extend the crack as you work on it. Since you gotta take it off just take it for a tig weld & retap it, a more permanent sturdy solution

Weld from the inside

If i don't go for a straight swap out, this sounds like it'll make the most sense. I don't have the time or experience to try other methods myself... and if it still leaks after all is said and done, I'll have to replace it or get it professionally welded anyways.

What shop is Sandy at? And Z as in Zed from Z1 Cycletech?

Thanks

Plot twist... cleaned the oil around the drain bolt and washer thoroughly:

i-N2qZSVp-L.png

I waited 15 minutes to see if any oil would begin to leak through the crack. To my surprise I saw this:

i-zQX7bLW-L.png

Even leaking between the washer and the oil pan. No other apparent leaking points. Going to swap out the crush washer for a fresh one and go from there. Looks like there may not be a crack after all. :D Fingers crossed.

Judging by the marks on the bolt, I can safely say you're over torquing your drain bolt. I'd recommend a torque wrench

That is how I would expect the leak from a crack to manifest. Do what you like, but be very careful with how much force you apply when tightening the bolt with the new washer if you decide to change it.

Success! Replaced the crush washer and 3 hours later it looks like this:

i-MCsWVmL.png

Lesson learned, replace the washer every oil change. No idea how the first one lasted for 10 years (close to 20 or so oil changes).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom