What insurance services can you use without increasing premiums? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What insurance services can you use without increasing premiums?

Golluk

I'm of the mindset to avoid involving insurance in any instance the cost are under 4-5k. But I'm curious what coverages/benefits you can make use of that won't cause your premiums to go up? It seems like even accidents that are 0% your fault tend to go against you since you seem to have bad luck/bad defensive driving skills.

Only at fault, and partially at fault claims can have an impact on your insurance rates. FSCO will not allow an insurance company to increase one's rate for a 0% claim, even if the payout is for example $50,000.

I know someone who drowned their bike on purpose when the floods hit burlington this summer. He got 16 grand for a bike he paid 10,500 for. Seems like I am the stupid one for following the rules. I doubt his rates will go up.

Yes and I also know someone who has brought about 10 dirt bikes back from Florida (1 or 2 each trip) and hasn't had to pay the taxes on any of them! The dummy border guards haven't bothered to open his enclosed trailer once to ask about Canadian ownership or where he got them etc. I know the first time I would try I would get caught and have to pay a grand or more in tax! He has made some good money on them before the dollar has gone south. I know they usually let my parents by without a problem in the motorhome since they're older and seem like honest people but the guards are usually not as easy on people in their young 20's I dno how he does it!

The joys of a computer search.

I bought a new car and went with a new insurer. As soon as I gave them one existing policy they pulled up a screen and knew my other vehicles and that I had a claim two years ago for $80.00, one of those windshield chip repairs. I don't think the chip repair affected my rates but nothing gets hidden.

The joys of a computer search.

I bought a new car and went with a new insurer. As soon as I gave them one existing policy they pulled up a screen and knew my other vehicles and that I had a claim two years ago for $80.00, one of those windshield chip repairs. I don't think the chip repair affected my rates but nothing gets hidden.

Comp claims do not increase your rate.

A lot of people are in the mind set that any claim will increase their rates.
When insurance companies have a rate increase and people have made a claim they automatically assume the increase is because the claim they put in.
That is incorrect, the only time your rates are effected is if you are in an at fault accident.

At fault meaning 25% or greater fault percentage.

So pretty much anything that doesn't involved your car being legally parked, turned off and you not in it.
Got rear ended this summer on the way to work (at 7am) while completely stopped in a construction zone due to completely jammed traffic - did about $3750 damage. My insurance company gave me the third degree attempting to assign me at least partial fault. Everything from "did you sleep well the night before, and were you tired?", "did you have any alcohol in your system and when was the last time you had a drink?" to "is it possible that I stopped suddenly and didn't allow the following vehicle enough warning of my intent to stop?"

I was very reluctantly assigned 0% fault.

At fault meaning 25% or greater fault percentage.

Good to know. I thought anything above 0 meant your rates were going up.

So pretty much anything that doesn't involved your car being legally parked, turned off and you not in it.
Got rear ended this summer on the way to work (at 7am) while completely stopped in a construction zone due to completely jammed traffic - did about $3750 damage. My insurance company gave me the third degree attempting to assign me at least partial fault. Everything from "did you sleep well the night before, and were you tired?", "did you have any alcohol in your system and when was the last time you had a drink?" to "is it possible that I stopped suddenly and didn't allow the following vehicle enough warning of my intent to stop?"

I was very reluctantly assigned 0% fault.

What? That's ridiculous. I'd switch just because they ****** me off. Actually, I did switch when Wawanesa ****** me off.

What annoys me is that insurance told me in a hit and run, it counts as an at fault claim. So your rates go up because someone hit your car and left. Bull.

What annoys me is that insurance told me in a hit and run, it counts as an at fault claim. So your rates go up because someone hit your car and left. Bull.

Unless you get a license plate from the offending vehicle, then you are OK. Otherwise every accident would get reported as a hit and run, it's your job to prove that it happened.

Unless you get a license plate from the offending vehicle, then you are OK. Otherwise every accident would get reported as a hit and run, it's your job to prove that it happened.

I guess that makes sense. Yeah, I knew if you got a plate number you'd be ok although if they refute your claims you have to have a witness. Supposedly proof like matching paint/dents isn't good enough. Mother in law had her bumper hit while in a parking lot, car parked right beside her car anyway. They called the cops, dents lined up, paint transfer was visibly a match. Cop and (later) insurance said if she couldn't get any witnesses, there was nothing they could do.

I’ve never heard of that before, why is a hit and run an at fault accident??
As long as you have a policy report that should never be the case.

I’ve never heard of that before, why is a hit and run an at fault accident??
As long as you have a policy report that should never be the case.

A hit and run is not treated as an at fault accident, It is treated as a not at fault accident except if you don't have a license plate of the other car, you will have to pay your deductible and have a not at fault accident on your record.

A hit and run is not treated as an at fault accident, It is treated as a not at fault accident except if you don't have a license plate of the other car, you will have to pay your deductible and have a not at fault accident on your record.

I could swear they told me it would go on record as if it were an at fault. Maybe you're right that it's just the deductible you need to pay and I'm remembering wrong. You also have to have collision for this to be covered whereas normally you don't need collision if you are not at fault.

I could swear they told me it would go on record as if it were an at fault. Maybe you're right that it's just the deductible you need to pay and I'm remembering wrong. You also have to have collision for this to be covered whereas normally you don't need collision if you are not at fault.
That is correct you need collision coverage if you don't have the license plate.

Back
Top Bottom