Indoor storage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Indoor storage

JoeRider

Site Supporter
Quick question for those who store their bikes in their house for the winter, which fluids are removed aside from gas?

Coolant
Engine oil
Relocate fuel tank outdoors.

Garage storage is tight this year, I'm hoping to store indoors. Home/auto company have not provided any details aside from the obvious - remove gas.

Plastic tank so rust is not an issue.

Be aware that even if you have asked, this may void any house/apt insurance you have. I'd get in in writing that they know you are storing inside your residence.

I would worry about the combustibles, not so much the coolant.

it might help to know which bike you are storing....

you might tell a newb to remove coolant which isnt there.....lol

Coolant and oil are not "flammable liquids" - their flash point temperature is (considerably) above normal ambient temperature. (Translation: the vapor in the vicinity of the liquid won't ignite - because there is so little of it that it can't.) They are combustible liquids - they will burn under the right conditions (basically, in an already-burning fire, or when atomized in air and exposed to a flame). Coolant is only combustible with difficulty since it's mixed with water.

Building codes and fire codes are mostly concerned about "flammable liquids" - which are essentially liquids that are capable of having ignitable vapors at normal ambient temperature. The gasoline is the one you have to concern yourself with.

It is a possibility to take the battery out and store it separately - but make sure nothing electrically conductive can ever come in contact with the battery terminals. A charged 9 volt battery carelessly tossed in the trash can easily start a fire if its terminals both touch something conductive (e.g. aluminum foil or other metal objects) and there is paper in contact with that. Personally, I think the safest place for the battery is in the bike's own battery enclosure but with the negative terminal disconnected and insulated to prevent accidental contact.

Your insurance company, and your city bylaws, may have their own ideas about what is allowed and what isn't.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will get something in writing from the insurance company.

I'll ensure all the gas is out of the tank, run it dry and perhaps leave the tank open in the garage for 24 hours. That should dry out the tank and allow most of the vapors to escape.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will get something in writing from the insurance company.

I'll ensure all the gas is out of the tank, run it dry and perhaps leave the tank open in the garage for 24 hours. That should dry out the tank and allow most of the vapors to escape.

perhaps get saran wrap (plastic wrap) and wrap the gas tank really good to prevent condensation.
add a little oil or if you can work some kinda paint brush in to coat the tank (swish oil around and drain) then seal the tank with plastic wrap.

perhaps get saran wrap (plastic wrap) and wrap the gas tank really good to prevent condensation.
add a little oil or if you can work some kinda paint brush in to coat the tank (swish oil around and drain) then seal the tank with plastic wrap.

Forgive my ignorance, what is the concern with condensation with a plastic tank?

That will leave a lot of vapors in the garage. You may want to leave a door or window open.

Speaking of vapours, if you store the bike inside be sure to seal off the muffler exhaust pipe with a piece of plastic and a rubber band to hold it in place. It will made a huge difference in keeping the smell down from petroleum products sitting on the inside of the muffler.

Or forgo all this stuff and drop it off at my house. I'll keep her nice and warm all winter! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A charged 9 volt battery carelessly tossed in the trash can easily start a fire if its terminals both touch something conductive (e.g. aluminum foil or other metal objects) and there is paper in contact with that. Personally, I think the safest place for the battery is in the bike's own battery enclosure but with the negative terminal disconnected and insulated to prevent accidental contact.

There was a picture of some kid in India on Reddit yesterday that blew off half his face with just 3 AAA batteries. I've personally burned myself when a AA shorted out on change in my pocket back in high school. I've also started a fire with a 9V and some steel wool just to try it after I saw it on some survival show. Batteries can be surprisingly dangerous!

There was a picture of some kid in India on Reddit yesterday that blew off half his face with just 3 AAA batteries. I've personally burned myself when a AA shorted out on change in my pocket back in high school. I've also started a fire with a 9V and some steel wool just to try it after I saw it on some survival show. Batteries can be surprisingly dangerous!

Holy crap, I didn't know that's what happened.

Back
Top Bottom