Winter Makeover | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter Makeover

Wingboy

Site Supporter
My 2011 Ossa TR280i is looking a bit tattered.It's going to get a powdercoat frame,swingarm.Anodize the triples and new stickers for the plastics.While the motor is out,i'm going to "detune" it a tad to make it easier for this 61 yr old to kick thru by putting a 2nd base gasket under the cylinder.

Here it is after a really good pressure wash.
PC070001_zpsd9e0d186.jpg

PC140036_zps20e74ba5.jpg

Organization is the key to easy assembly.Marked Ziploc bags for all the fasteners.
PC270057_zps6028b858.jpg

Figured out why I haven't been able to up the rear preload this summer.The threads on the shock body are an aluminum collar that is glued in place.The glue bond broke and the entire collar spun with the adjustment ring doing nothing.Took it apart,cleaned it really well and put it back with green Loctite.Good as new.
PC210037_zps08a55ab0.jpg

The Spaniards that put this together must be "rubiks cube" masters.It was really tricky getting the motor out of the frame.Gonna have to be super careful putting it back into the fresh powdercoat finish That JohnnyP636 will most likely be doing for me.
PC270056_zps7f29bf8d.jpg

Love this little motor.Six speed cassette style tranny,fuel injected 2 stroke with no battery, (140/1 premix) reverse cylinder.
PC270055_zpsa8a38fa4.jpg

Each of these weighs about as much as a bottle cap.Cool!
PC270058_zps5d104415.jpg

A buddy at work loaned me this tiny ratchet.Worked great.The cylinder is off the motor.
P1020069_zps0589c121.jpg

Booooooo,I wish I hadn't seen this now.:(
P1020063_zpsb62f5bba.jpg

Wow. Is the cylinder still usable?

Wow. Is the cylinder still usable?
Should be.An acid bath and a light hone might fix it.Very ******.A trials piston should last a lifetime!

Looks worse than it is.
P1020064_zpscb20bbcd.jpg

Last edited:
On the plus side....I have a nice new ashtray.****,I don't smoke.

Ouch. Question then becomes "why". Forgot to run premix? Wrong oil? Too lean? Overheat?

Probably my bad.The bike was running with a poorly set tps for a few months.It would "load" up and needed the occasional high rpm clean out to make it run well at idle.That,and I've been running 140/1 premix for best performance.After the new piston it'll be 100/1!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Had to make a wrist pin tool from a piece of pipe,washers and threaded rod,but now the piston is off.Really cool bunch of engineering has gone into the cranckcase of this engine.The big end bearing of the rod feels fine.i don't see any debris of any kind in the crankcase.I really need to build a proper workbench.
P1040070_zps82586ac8.jpg

P1040071_zps8fc3c961.jpg

Cylinder is toast.It's off to Quebec for a re-do of the nikasil liner at http://www.cvtech-aab.com/index.php The frame is totally stripped now.My bud at work loaned me his Mactool fuel line tools to get the quick connects apart.The lines have to be disconnected to remove anything from the tank.Frame goes to powdercoat next.
P1200950_zpse61f45bc.jpg

Anyone know if other bikes use a Mahle kl97 fuel filter?
P1200952_zps173b94b3.jpg

Finally ready for powdercoat.
P1230083_zpsblclk9d6.jpg

I admit that I know pretty much nothing about trials bikes, but I never realized that what I thought was a fancy rad shroud was actually a super substantial part of the frame!

I admit that I know pretty much nothing about trials bikes, but I never realized that what I thought was a fancy rad shroud was actually a super substantial part of the frame!
Lol.The Ossa is unique in that the gas tank is the front downtube of the frame.A common problem with the other manufacturers is the front mounted rad getting clogged with mud and overheating.can't happen with the Ossa.And with the airbox and air intake directly behind it,it's very waterproof.The airbox dumps straight down into the throttle body at the front of the cranckcase of the reversed engine design.

Rimtape came today.
P2030092_zpsivybbzmn.jpg

It's not easy being green.
P2160104_zpszmkdsfvt.jpg

The swingarm bushings needed to be removed for black powdercoat.A suitable sized socket and hammer did the trick.(thanks Jason)
P2190105_zpsigmr1lsz.jpg

Cylinder and new piston is back from Quebec after nikasil replate and fitting.
P2120097_zpsldpsaazs.jpg

After searching everywhere for copper washers for the cylinder bolts,i found them and bolted up the cylinder.The head o-rings were out of stock so i reused the old ones.Lapped the head with 600 grit wet paper on plate glass.A little grease holds the o-rings in while fitting.Motor is back together with an extra base gasket for my 62 yr old manly build.
P3220129_zps2z3mmhgi.jpg

New tires are mounted.
P3030119_zpsvw1kzy3o.jpg

New plastics with stickers on and bolted together with plastic bolts.(no more broken fenders from looping it)
P3220131_zpsglgcrdnp.jpg

P3220130_zpsox8i1igr.jpg

The new style vented airbox cover wasn't available at my dealer.So it came from ZoneTrial in Belgium.Only took 5 days,but it was an extra $30.Looks really good tho with the new graphics.
P3220132_zpsip1jftjl.jpg

Now if i could only find a Termignoni exhaust for it.But they are about $1600.NOT!!!

Back
Top Bottom