What they're teaching kids these days | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What they're teaching kids these days

Wait 'til they find out riding, sex and eating ice cream all at once doesn't add up to the sum of the parts.

I thought riding and going for ice cream were the same thing.

Send the kids to this place ... REAL eye opener as to how messed up kids can be from the projects because of society.

I only watched a few minutes but enough to remind me of a friend's grandson from London Ontario with the same attitude / family problem. It may be hard for the GTAM membership to feel the problem.

As members of GTAM we, generally speaking, actually own things that we acquired legally and enjoy legally. These kids have nothing but attitude. It's easy to say suck it up and get with the plan but you have to study the long term effects of centuries of slavery, discrimination, Jim Crow Laws, etc to grasp their frustration.

Add to that the advertising frenzy of pushing attitude (You are substandard if you wear the wrong tee shirt, don't drive a cool car, have the perfect body) and things get worse.

These kids are torn between extremes. They have nothing but are encouraged to live a Ferrari lifestyle, something that escapes 99.99% of the population.

Why is a normal job, a bungalow in the burbs and a paid for Chevy in the driveway such a bad thing?

I only watched a few minutes but enough to remind me of a friend's grandson from London Ontario with the same attitude / family problem. It may be hard for the GTAM membership to feel the problem.

As members of GTAM we, generally speaking, actually own things that we acquired legally and enjoy legally. These kids have nothing but attitude. It's easy to say suck it up and get with the plan but you have to study the long term effects of centuries of slavery, discrimination, Jim Crow Laws, etc to grasp their frustration.

Add to that the advertising frenzy of pushing attitude (You are substandard if you wear the wrong tee shirt, don't drive a cool car, have the perfect body) and things get worse.

These kids are torn between extremes. They have nothing but are encouraged to live a Ferrari lifestyle, something that escapes 99.99% of the population.

Why is a normal job, a bungalow in the burbs and a paid for Chevy in the driveway such a bad thing?

100% agree! I'm astounded sometimes talking to people how they can't seem to see past there little culture orbs. Some of my favourites used to be "bomb the boats and feed the fish" and "bomb it and pave it" as solutions to some foreign issues. That same mentality plays out at home too "get a job" and "pull up your pants". Most young minds are still processing dreams and possibilities, never mind the burden of growing up a certain way.

100% agree! I'm astounded sometimes talking to people how they can't seem to see past there little culture orbs. Some of my favourites used to be "bomb the boats and feed the fish" and "bomb it and pave it" as solutions to some foreign issues. That same mentality plays out at home too "get a job" and "pull up your pants". Most young minds are still processing dreams and possibilities, never mind the burden of growing up a certain way.

Just for background, the friend's grandson was staying with him for the summer in hopes of getting his attitude straightened out.

I was talking to him and he seemed to want something tangible and it turned out to be a ghetto blaster equivalent. I asked him how much it would cost and it was only a little over a hundred dollars. I explained to him that an electrician could make that in a day and his response was "I don't want to be no electrician". In his culture his peers didn't work for things, they scored things. FWIW his dad never worked a day in his life and died of aids, never saying a good word of encouragement to his kids. How do you reprogram that?

People tend to cling to their roots and when the roots are bad they follow. It is very hard to shake ones primal associations.

Just for background, the friend's grandson was staying with him for the summer in hopes of getting his attitude straightened out.

I was talking to him and he seemed to want something tangible and it turned out to be a ghetto blaster equivalent. I asked him how much it would cost and it was only a little over a hundred dollars. I explained to him that an electrician could make that in a day and his response was "I don't want to be no electrician". In his culture his peers didn't work for things, they scored things. FWIW his dad never worked a day in his life and died of aids, never saying a good word of encouragement to his kids. How do you reprogram that?

People tend to cling to their roots and when the roots are bad they follow. It is very hard to shake ones primal associations.

I can accept that at face value but like anything else, after putting it thru my personal prism, that answer(I don't want to be no electrician) might be the only thing his immature brain could muster under those circumstances. Strange adult getting up in his business with some angle, perceived head games etc. or just the overwhelming foreign prospect of "career". To him that might be on par with flying to the moon. I would not want to be young today with bad parents, it's so much more complex out there.

Couple of points:

It's not always the parents' fault. I know a couple with 2 kids; one is pretty much perfect, while the other is challenging. Same parenting, but different experiences in school due to different aptitudes. One is a rule follower, the other, not so much.

Children at school are being taught that they are in control of their bodies and to speak up or report if they feel uncomfortable. Nothing wrong with that. Too much child abuse goes unreported, better that a child misinterprets an innocent situation like with inreb, than remains silent and helpless in a truly bad situation.

It's not always the parents' fault. I know a couple with 2 kids; one is pretty much perfect, while the other is challenging.

Very true. It's the kind of complex problem that can't really be hashed out on this type of forum because the variables are almost endless. Any example somebody brings forward can be batted away with examples of the opposite. Altho I still think there's value in bouncing it around.

Back
Top Bottom