Two-lane roundabouts coming to Caledon | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two-lane roundabouts coming to Caledon

Having done most of my driving in North America, roundabouts took a bit of adjustment for me. What helped were those low trafficked roundabouts in the KW/Cambridge area to get me familiar with the concept. They don't come natural, but once they become a staple, that'll change.

Yup. There's a single-lane roundabout in my parent's neighbourhood with exactly what you describe. And speedbumps every 30 meters.

401/Weston?

It fascinates me how some people struggle with roundabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, this is the GTA, drivers have trouble with green lights and righthand turns. They totally nail the straights sometimes, so it's not all bad.

There's a bunch of roundabouts in the Kingsway area. They're buried in the sidestreets to confound drivers (which works) that might disturb the Richie Riches.

Last edited:
Are roundabouts covered in the drivers handbook? I don't recall.

Should be part of a driving test. Mind you, a lot of things should be.

I think you are correct. Driving should also be part of the test. If the drivers license has Kellogg's written in the background. Instant fail.

There are a lot of problems with them here in KW.A search of the local paper comes up with this http://www.therecord.com/search/news/?q=roundabout problems&location=waterlooregion&sort=datedesc

More minor collisions, fewer severe collisions - about what is expected. It's almost impossible for a head-on, or the infamous-for-a-motorcyclist left turn in front of the approaching bike, to occur at a roundabout. The minor collisions are probably because people here don't know how to yield or signal. My dad lived just off Ira Needles Boulevard, so I've gone through quite a few of them ... the perpetual construction on Ira Needles probably doesn't help matters.

I know about the troublesome one on Homer Watson. In my opinion, the roundabout is too big (doesn't slow people down enough) and the pedestrian crosswalk is too close to the roundabout - not enough time to react, and if someone has to stop for a pedestrian, it quickly backlogs into the roundabout.

There's one about 5 mins away from my house on this road that is always empty... It's fun as hell on a bike. I literally do 20+ laps of it every time I pass by lol.

Dude, this is the GTA, drivers have trouble with green lights and righthand turns. They totally nail the straights sometimes, so it's not all bad.

There's a bunch of roundabouts in the Kingsway area. They're buried in the sidestreets to confound drivers (which works) that might disturb the Richie Riches.

[video=youtube;sWBFkEEcmfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWBFkEEcmfo[/video]

Lol

I personally love the left turns from the right lane and right turns from the left lane that are extremely common in Toronto.

The only problem I ever had with roundabouts was when someone told me to "turn left" at one. They meant to take the 3rd exit, which is more logical wording to me. Go straight meant to take the 2nd one (assuming a 4 point round about). Got used to that wording quickly until I got into a 5 point round about and then I wasn't entirely sure which road lined up with the one I came from so I didn't know which one was "straight".

How about this one 6 of them. Not too far from where I lived. Boggle your mind. Plus we used to drive on the right side of the road on the left. Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9zrOWt8Ee8

We had this beauty where I grew up:
24-12-20149-16-40AM.jpg

...and since the driver examination center was just around the corner, it was very likely that this beauty would be on your driver test route.

We had this beauty where I grew up:
24-12-20149-16-40AM.jpg

...and since the driver examination center was just around the corner, it was very likely that this beauty would be on your driver test route.

Brussels? If yes. Loved the city. The food, girls, ambiance, maybe even the sprouts? Had to know how to drive there. How-about the Champs-Élysées, crazy. Never done it on a bike. Would be interesting.

Brussels? If yes. Loved the city. The food, girls, ambiance, maybe even the sprouts? Had to know how to drive there. How-about the Champs-Élysées, crazy. Never done it on a bike. Would be interesting.

I wanted to rent a bike while in france a few years back. Then i watched the action around the arc de triomphe and wondered how no scooter riders died in that ten minute span.

The roundabouts are the new darling of the urban planner so we will be seeing more and more, in an area where people "get it" the traffic flow is smooth and virtually uninterrupted . They are a good idea, there will be more collisions but the missed stop sign T bone at 80kph should be over.

I wanted to rent a bike while in france a few years back. Then i watched the action around the arc de triomphe and wondered how no scooter riders died in that ten minute span.

My opinion, skills, aggressive driving. If you wait for somebody to let you in forget it. You must go at the slightest opportunity. No arguments or cage rage, it is expected of you to move and butt in. Say a few prayers before you leave and kiss your rear hello when you make it back safe and sound. Hesitate and you will never get to where you want to be. Take it in your stride.

Back
Top Bottom