Two-lane roundabouts coming to Caledon | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two-lane roundabouts coming to Caledon

Why not a manually controlled "red" light for pedestrians to use? I love the idea of roundabouts, but they are definitely not pedestrian friendly.
I prefer flashing amber with enforceable sign, "stop for pedestrians". That way, even if it's flashing amber and there are no pedestrians you can use caution and drive through w/o stopping.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK221
Flashing amber
(17) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a flashing circular amber indication and facing the indication may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (17).

I don't like the idea of manually controlled "red" light; if nobody is crossing, I'm waiting for no reason; it's inefficient and contributes to congestion and traffic. That's the #1 thing that gets under my skin, when traffic is stopped in all directions and nobody is moving... this happens with faulty advance-green sensors.

Roudabouts are very pedestrian friendly, as long as said pedestrians are not checking their messages while walking in front of cars.

We need to stop babying people at the cost of grid lock, if you are paying attention as a pedestrian you will be fine, as cars tend to not come onto sidewalks.... as much

I read this thread and I must admit I am a bit confused and concerned.
I really don't see people getting the hang of it. After a series of fender benders and pedestrians getting hit, they will go back to the old system people know.

What happens when two cars get into a "nice" fender bender? Does that mean everything in the circle comes to a stop?

The new technology on cars is just becoming stupid, it creates and encourages more bad driving.
Tell me why does a car need to stop itself? The new Subaru commercial has a car driving by itself towards a wall and viola it stops itself from hitting the pretend car in front of it.

Translation, text away, don't look at the road, if you veer off course the car will blink lights and make noises and some will keep you back on course.
If you are looking down or not in front, no problem we will stop the car for you.

Pretty soon it will be get in the car and take a nap.

Gridlock is not going away, we are getting more people and that will equal more cars on the road.
Services such as zip cars have made it so that people that had no access to a car before now do.

All of those have been addressed already

I read this thread and I must admit I am a bit confused and concerned.
I really don't see people getting the hang of it. After a series of fender benders and pedestrians getting hit, they will go back to the old system people know.

They've been around in Ontario for years already. They are not going back

What happens when two cars get into a "nice" fender bender? Does that mean everything in the circle comes to a stop?
Most, if not all fender benders that happened in the circle you can drive away from. Also most circles are 2 lanes. If its a rare major accident then only 1 entrance would be affected until at least one of the lane is cleared up.

The new technology on cars is just becoming stupid, it creates and encourages more bad driving.
Tell me why does a car need to stop itself? The new Subaru commercial has a car driving by itself towards a wall and viola it stops itself from hitting the pretend car in front of it.

Translation, text away, don't look at the road, if you veer off course the car will blink lights and make noises and some will keep you back on course.
If you are looking down or not in front, no problem we will stop the car for you.

Pretty soon it will be get in the car and take a nap.

Gridlock is not going away, we are getting more people and that will equal more cars on the road.
Services such as zip cars have made it so that people that had no access to a car before now do.

I'd rather be on the road with computers driving then unskilled drivers.

All of those have been addressed already

They've been around in Ontario for years already. They are not going back

Most, if not all fender benders that happened in the circle you can drive away from. Also most circles are 2 lanes. If its a rare major accident then only 1 entrance would be affected until at least one of the lane is cleared up.

I'd rather be on the road with computers driving then unskilled drivers.

Thanks for your answers.

and that's the problem, unskilled drivers would less likely to be on the road without all the driving aids
manual car for everyone to do test with...lol

Seriously, since the Ford can park and parallel park themselves would that be allowed on the driving test?
I think the argument would be it just states to get the car in that spot, it did not say exactly how...lol

Well I was at blue mountain last weekend and there was a major collision near or at the roundabouts up there so people may not be getting it yet.

Middle East. Wow, commonly known as the "Wacky races" Laws do not apply. Get in car, hand over horn and move fast. Stop at lights, make 3 lanes into as many as you can squeeze to be first in line.

There are roundabouts in Saudi Arabia. I used to have to go through like 3 or 4 to get to my girlfriends compound. The description is perfect though.. lol

There are roundabouts in Saudi Arabia. I used to have to go through like 3 or 4 to get to my girlfriends compound. The description is perfect though.. lol

I was based in Dhahran and the trip to Al Khobar, Damman,etc was quite the experience. Nuts but no chance of getting caught for stunting or there wouldn`t be anybody driving and the roads would be empty.

Still have both my hands and my head is still attached. Been to visit ex-pats in prison. Now that is nasty, nasty.

You could drive over a round-about and nobody would care. Try that here and see what happens. Busted.

I was based in Dhahran and the trip to Al Khobar, Damman,etc was quite the experience. Nuts but no chance of getting caught for stunting or there wouldn`t be anybody driving and the roads would be empty.

Still have both my hands and my head is still attached. Been to visit ex-pats in prison. Now that is nasty, nasty.

You could drive over a round-about and nobody would care. Try that here and see what happens. Busted.

Dude you were in the same place as me.. lol Lived in and around Al-Khobar near Euro village. I can't remember the name of the compound.. but it was very nice. There were some terrorist attacks and some friends died. I left soon after that and came back here. But yeah the traffic is something else. ZERO rules. I used to let my GF drive my truck because she was so annoyed not having any freedom.. good times.. we got pulled over and I had to pretend she was related to me..

Dude you were in the same place as me.. lol Lived in and around Al-Khobar near Euro village. I can't remember the name of the compound.. but it was very nice. There were some terrorist attacks and some friends died. I left soon after that and came back here. But yeah the traffic is something else. ZERO rules. I used to let my GF drive my truck because she was so annoyed not having any freedom.. good times.. we got pulled over and I had to pretend she was related to me..

I worked for Aramco, early eighties,(Wow) 2 years. Based on the compound there.
I think we came back with so many stories. (Who would believe them?)
What a life.

Try handling 6 in a row on a major route in rush hour driving on the opposite side of the road.....my task every time I land in Australia for 3 months.....I usually find a car and stick to the rear quarter till I get my bearings.....oh yeah on Dunlop 606s for tires....yeehaw!!! :rolleyes:

Got me thinking about it now.....7or 8 weeks away :D

haha - was thinking about the same thing.. loved it when I was in North Lakes, Brisbane. BTW - I was in Oz for 10 days and only saw 2 stop signs the entire time. Nth America you'd see a dozen before leaving the airport parking lot!

Well I was at blue mountain last weekend and there was a major collision near or at the roundabouts up there so people may not be getting it yet.

those have been there for ages..!

Back
Top Bottom