Two-lane roundabouts coming to Caledon | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two-lane roundabouts coming to Caledon

iFly55

http://www.caledonenterprise.com/news-story/4887846-two-lane-roundabouts-are-coming-to-caledon/

Two-lane roundabouts are coming to Caledon

Caledon Enterprise
By Danielle Marr

roundabout02.jpg

The arrival of two lane roundabouts in Caledon is imminent, and the Region of Peel is taking steps to ensure drivers are comfortable with navigating them.

“There will be two that we will have, one at the new Bolton arterial route and Highway 50 and the other will be at the bottom of King and Duffy’s Lane,” said Region of Peel Traffic Manager Joe Avsec.

While residents of Caledon have gotten used to navigating the roundabout along Olde Base Line at Dixie Road, when a second lane is introduced, things get trickier.

“When you are a driver, one of the most important things to remember is to yield to traffic that is already in the roundabout, they always have the right of way,” said Avsec.

Drivers must yield to pedestrians before entering the roundabout as well as on their way out and also ensure they are choosing the correct lane.

It may seem complex, but Avsec is confident that drivers will see the benefits of roundabouts.

[video=youtube_share;AMV02ReN0lo]http://youtu.be/AMV02ReN0lo[/video]

“Generally as drivers become more accustomed to the roundabout, we think that people will favour them over traditional intersections,” he said. “It will be something new but it will eventually become second nature.”

Proponents of roundabouts say they eliminate the right-angle collisions that occur when drivers run red lights and t-bone each other. They can also reduce commuting time and reduce municipal expenses on paying electricity bills that come with traffic signals.

“You don’t have to wait for a light to change,” he said. “You are just yielding to traffic and then proceeding, it is a lot more efficient and helps to reduce idling and delays.”

The construction of the roundabouts attached to the new Bolton arterial route will not cause any major delays as at present, the Region of Peel is not anticipating road closures or detours.

Construction is underway to have the roundabout at King and Duffy’s Lane operating with two entry points by the end of this year.

An open house will be scheduled and a guide on how to navigate a two-lane roundabout will be delivered to residents in Bolton closer to the opening of the roundabouts.

In the end, however, as Avsec says, "It will be a bit of a learning curve."

They work great, but it won't be long until the caledon nannies start crying "what about the children" and stop signs will be installed on each corner.

We suck!

They work great, but it won't be long until the caledon nannies start crying "what about the children" and stop signs will be installed on each corner.

We suck!

Lol. I've seen people (women) turn left TWICE at the roundabout near blue streak

I had to legit give instructions for some friends on how to proceed through these.

We suck!

How else will the house servants get the children to the park in the middle? Safety first!

I just had the misfortune to driving Ira Needles Blvd in Waterloo from Hwy8 to Erb St.....there are 6 of these things in a row any many people that don't know how to drive them.

We have quite a few out here in eastern Ontario now. Most tards and old farts still stop like they always did before. The two in a row in Cobourg have such a tight radius that the school buses look like the dukes of hazzard evading hot pursuit and the new one on hwy 28 can barely fit a tractor trailer through. I don't mind them really. But the designers need to keep in mind we have lots of room here in Canada, just buy a longer tape measure and it'll all work out.

It fascinates me how some people struggle with roundabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It fascinates me how some people struggle with roundabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't struggle, but i have to think about it as my brain still is programmed to run them in a clockwise direction.

There is a roundabout somewhere between me and Port Colborne... my PSA would be if you enter the roundabout and go to the inside lane, do not drift to the right hand lane before you exit the roundabout. Exit in the same lane. Especially if you're driving a white plumbing van.

wait till you enter a 2 lane roundabout with an 18 wheeler beside you...

Only in Ontario, Canada will someone state such thing and only in Ontario, Canada will someone actually eventually do it.

Try handling 6 in a row on a major route in rush hour driving on the opposite side of the road.....my task every time I land in Australia for 3 months.....I usually find a car and stick to the rear quarter till I get my bearings.....oh yeah on Dunlop 606s for tires....yeehaw!!! :rolleyes:

Got me thinking about it now.....7or 8 weeks away :D

I was wracking my brains trying to think of something negative to say and then it hit me. I almost creamed somebody in a roundabout in Nova Scotia after a long day behind the wheel. Up to that point I'd probably been thru a roundy thrice (is thrice 2 or 3? doesn't matter it was about 2 or 3 times I'd been thru 1) Anyway, good fortune the other driver knew to avoid me.

We suck!

Yup. There's a single-lane roundabout in my parent's neighbourhood with exactly what you describe. And speedbumps every 30 meters.

Back
Top Bottom