2015 jetta air bag removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 jetta air bag removal

Nick_f

Site Supporter
Hey guys. I know it is not a bike but would like some help with this

I have a 2015 jetta and looking to change out the wheel for one with paddle shifters.

I have replaced the wheel on my 2006 jetta and the airbag was relatively easy to remove with two clips at the 3 and 9 position, but the wheel on the 2015 jetta doesn't seem to have them

I started a thread on VWvortex with pictures, but to no avail.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7090246-2015-Jetta-air-bag-removal&p=86845514#post86845514

reaching out to the GTAM community, if someone knows someone who works as a tech for volkswagen, that can give me some insight on how to remove this air bag.

Looks like you got it off but the Golf wheel didn't fit. What's your plan? Stick with the OEM wheel?

When you switch wheels, do you put the airbag in the new one?
would't insurance freak if you didn't?

Looks like you got it off but the Golf wheel didn't fit. What's your plan? Stick with the OEM wheel?

Going to stick with the OEM wheel for now, and wait for an fair priced airbag to show up on eBay, or a great priced GLI/GTi wheel to show up :)

You would put the airbag in the new wheel (if it fits) or in my case you would need a new wheel/airbag combo

My guess is that insurance would freak out if something happened in direct result of you tampering with the airbag.

When the airbag does get installed, it gets scanned to the VIN of the car, so if i do swap out my air bag, they can technically scan the airbag and find what car it belongs to. Same thing with ECU, gas tanks, and other parts during assembly (joys of working as an auto worker :) )

Not sure if air bags are of any importance to insurance. I usually buy cars from auction with damage and my last one I never replaced any of the airbags (only had driver and passenger). I told my insurance the bags weren't replaced and they said .... Ok. Lol. Nothing changed. Also when the car got safetied there was no problem either. And when I sold it I was upfront with the buyer and he was ok with it too.

I would say if the bag went off while driving normally u may be screwed by other than that, if your not overly paranoid about crashes, leave it out. ****** disclaimer****** I am not advising to mess with airbags, just sharing my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys. I know it is not a bike but would like some help with this

I have a 2015 jetta and looking to change out the wheel for one with paddle shifters.

I have replaced the wheel on my 2006 jetta and the airbag was relatively easy to remove with two clips at the 3 and 9 position, but the wheel on the 2015 jetta doesn't seem to have them

I started a thread on VWvortex with pictures, but to no avail.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7090246-2015-Jetta-air-bag-removal&p=86845514#post86845514

reaching out to the GTAM community, if someone knows someone who works as a tech for volkswagen, that can give me some insight on how to remove this air bag.

hey nick, not at all relevant and not sure how to help as I have no experience on newer vws, but i was wondering if there is any procedure for reconnecting the airbag once you've pulled it out and swapped in the other wheel. I haven't seen anything or searched specifically.
I did a wheel wheel and bag swap on my 02 jetta tdi but never reconnected the bag because I didn't want to screw it up. but seems like you might have some insight since you did this on an 06 jetta

Ummmm. .... you can install paddle shifters on a non dsg transmission now? When did that happen? I've been out of the loop for a while and avoid vortex like the plague.

hey nick, not at all relevant and not sure how to help as I have no experience on newer vws, but i was wondering if there is any procedure for reconnecting the airbag once you've pulled it out and swapped in the other wheel. I haven't seen anything or searched specifically.
I did a wheel wheel and bag swap on my 02 jetta tdi but never reconnected the bag because I didn't want to screw it up. but seems like you might have some insight since you did this on an 06 jetta

I don't know what your trying to get at?

the airbag should come with a harness that plugs into the steering wheel (if you have controls) and to the clock spring

Ummmm. .... you can install paddle shifters on a non dsg transmission now? When did that happen? I've been out of the loop for a while and avoid vortex like the plague.

Jetta TDi's have the DSG transmission

I think they have had them since 2006 for the TDI

Back
Top Bottom