Moving bike from Toronto to Montreal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moving bike from Toronto to Montreal

ilmarin77

Hello,

I am a new rider: got my M1 license in the very end of summer, did the training course. And was riding Suzuki GZ250 from the end of September to the middle of November. Now the bike is in storage. Unfortunately my situation changed and I am planning to move from Toronto to Montreal in January.

Now, the question for moving the bike in the spring: should I just come to Toronto some time in the April, take the bike from storage and drive to Montreal. Or should I rent a van or a truck and deal with moving it that way?

So far I did a little bit of highway driving around GTA, but never drove continuously for longer then a couple of hours.

Personally I feel pretty confident that I can ride on 401, stopping at every onroute - does anybody thinks that I am being too optimistic?

P.S. I've been driving cars for about 16 years, and drove Montreal to Toronto on four wheels plenty of times, but usually with some company.

It's your call: Transport it now or ride it to Montreal in the spring. If you choose the latter, wait until May for better/warmer/dryer weather, then take secondary highways like #2, and enjoy a motorcycle road trip.

Totally motorcycle road trip!! If you're not comfortable on the 401, I'm thinking hwy 7 to Ottawa then hwy 50 to Montreal. Make a weekend out of it.

Did you get your M2, so that you're legal on the highway?

If you go on a road trip, try and plot where the gas stations are.
the 500 series roads are great, but gas is scarcer.

The GZ250 makes 20HP and has a top speed of ~75MPH (120kph) (reference.) It also weighs 330-lbs. 120kph is barely keeping up with 401 traffic; do you want to spend your entire trip at WOT? As well, with such little mass it would be a handful in the wake turbulence of trucks and vans.

I honestly don't believe this would make a good 401 trip but it does sound like a bitchen little bike to take on twisty, scenic tree-lined secondary roads with towns you can stop in for some grub or washroom time (as well as the odd chain-lube...) Plan some time of work for a couple of days' riding through scenic parts of Ontario and Quebec. I think you'll find that a much more satisfying and less stressful ride.

The GZ250 makes 20HP and has a top speed of ~75MPH (120kph) (reference.) It also weighs 330-lbs. 120kph is barely keeping up with 401 traffic; do you want to spend your entire trip at WOT? As well, with such little mass it would be a handful in the wake turbulence of trucks and vans.

I honestly don't believe this would make a good 401 trip but it does sound like a bitchen little bike to take on twisty, scenic tree-lined secondary roads with towns you can stop in for some grub or washroom time (as well as the odd chain-lube...) Plan some time of work for a couple of days' riding through scenic parts of Ontario and Quebec. I think you'll find that a much more satisfying and less stressful ride.

In the Spring, I'd be happy to ride with you from Toronto to Brockville or Ottawa on back country roads, if we can arrange a mutually convenient time.

Ride the 401 to Montreal - Boring and straight and if you can keep with the 115 to 125 km/hr range it won't be dangerous at all.

Thank you!
The storage is available until April 15th, so I will have to take it to Montreal sometime during first half of April - I will try contact you all in the beginning of April - to see if you are available.

Fingers crossed for good weather.

It's usually a bit too early in the season.

Last edited:
So, today I exchanged my GM2 Ontario license to Class 5 6A Quebec license - all went well. Class 6A - is motorcycle license without restrictions.

Sound like a lot of fun. April is going be chilly. So bundle up with some windbreaker (pants/jacket) over you riding gear. Don't forget to wear a scarf or a necktube (klim). tubeneck.jpg

Still snow and salt and all that nice stuff up here. Maybe we get a double Christmas?

Back
Top Bottom