Forking by Frank | GTAMotorcycle.com

Forking by Frank

Delboy

I'm rebuilding (another) 350 Yamaha as a winter project. I want to do a plain vanilla OEM Kenny Roberts this time, and so want to use the original forks.

I have half a dozen sets of RZ forks lying around that were pitted or tweaked or both - and pricing for re-chroming and/or straightening started around $230 locally.

I've bought 3 sets of tubes from Frank's over the years and have been very impressed with the fit, finish and the chrome. Chrome seems very durable. I actually think its better than OEM. Its definitely a lot better than Taiwanese replacements. I have a set on my vintage RM370 and they still look perfect after 7 years of racing.

I called 2 weeks ago and ordered a set of standard 84 RZ tubes. $270 for the pair. They were shipped USPS at the end of last week and they arrived this morning. They are now assembled and in the frame.

If your forks are pitted it may be worth while checking out new tubes rather than trying to re-chrome the old ones. The cost is not a heck of a lot more.

Based on this review I took a bit of a flyer ordered a set for my YSR 50. The originals were pitted and I was doing the epoxy and wet and dry paper every once in a while to smooth them out.

They didn't have the measurements so I sent one of my originals. Two brand new ones arrived in the mail. They will USPS to Canada.

The chrome looks really good. It looks better than Yamaha. Took a bunch or measurements and compared them with the original and it's right on. I'll get them installed over the next few weeks

You were lucky to get your forks so soon.
Frank is pretty sick and his wife is looking after the shop... and making a mess of it.

You were lucky to get your forks so soon.
Frank is pretty sick and his wife is looking after the shop... and making a mess of it.

I actually read on the CB forum that Frank had passed away and you're right, his wife is not that well either. It appears that the 2 sons stepped in mid last year. I definitely can't complain about shipping time though.

I have a basketcase BSA B25 that I keep meaning to get around to and the forks on that are real mess. If I can't find some donors I would definitely try them again.

Back
Top Bottom