"Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

Re: "Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

She made a "mistake" with reckless disregard for the safety of other drivers. Either she is negligent or she is just plain too stupid to be driving on a public highway. The same kind of people who violate a motorcycle's right of way then say "Ooops, sorry, I wasn't looking that way..." I would say justice has been served to a minimum, and the ten year driving ban should stay.

I have mixed feelings about the sentence.

What she did was stupid and irresponsible, even though it was of good intentions on her part.

I was taught from day one that if I hit something sitting in the road it's my fault. I should always drive/ride in such a way that I can see far enough in front of me to be able to take evasive action if needs be. Do I always do so? No, I don't, but I try. But if something happens then I should take blame of some sort.

I do see it as quite different from someone violating a bike's right of way by left turning in front of them.

..Tom

Re: "Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

Rip to the riders, remember everybody is out to get you when you are on a bike, motives/causes are irrelevant if you get dead or injured.
she should be made to do her 240 hours in a duck slaughterhouse, to feed the homeless.

This happened, what?, 4 yrs. ago? I wonder if any of those ducks are still alive. Kind of a shame if this was all for naught.

This happened, what?, 4 yrs. ago? I wonder if any of those ducks are still alive. Kind of a shame if this was all for naught.

The same could be said of anything though.

In the heat of the moment, a surprising number of people would probably stop and try to help if a litter of puppies was mucking about on the highway. It's human nature to try to help animals in distress or danger (and if not for you, for a good deal of other people...)

Riders have to be ready for anything. People are way too unpredictable to assume they'll all stick to the letter of some law, especially when kittens, puppies or even ducklings are involved.

What she did was stupid. She is an adherent of the Walt Disney Church of Cuteness as is a large percentage of the population. Will a 10 year driving ban teach her to think? I doubt it. She doesn't even think she was wrong.

The biker was speeding and didn't allow time to stop. We would all be safer if we drove on the paranoid edge but then where would be the pleasure. BTW have any of the tailgating Nazis tried to keep the correct legal distance on a highway? Good luck here in Ontario because while you are safe ahead of you there will be a cage rubbing your butt.

i probably would have done the same
and it hurts me to know that an animals life is worth nothing comparing to us
its a living thing regardless
next time you think about running over a dog think what would happen to you if it was a police dog
you would get a life sentence in prison for killing an officer of the law
but when its just a stray dog
life goes on like nothing happened

The same could be said of anything though.

In the heat of the moment, a surprising number of people would probably stop and try to help if a litter of puppies was mucking about on the highway. It's human nature to try to help animals in distress or danger (and if not for you, for a good deal of other people...)

Riders have to be ready for anything. People are way too unpredictable to assume they'll all stick to the letter of some law, especially when kittens, puppies or even ducklings are involved.

I would bet that a large percentage of criticizers would have hit the car in the same situation.

It's known that there was a large vehicle in front of the motorcycle in question. That would have blocked view of the stopped car while that large vehicle was still in the left lane. It's known that this vehicle did a lane change to the right, thus revealing the stopped car. Keep in mind that when the rider first saw that vehicle moving to the right, he wouldn't have known or seen WHY it was moving to the right. It's quite likely that even at normal following distances, there might have only been 2 to 3 seconds between first getting line of sight, and impact.

And ... The woman was outside the car walking along the roadside behind the car ... a visual distraction. It's pretty likely that the person walking along the roadside would have caught the eye of the rider and thus he would momentarily have looked away from his direction of travel.

AND ... We also don't know what was in the lane beside the bike. If there was another vehicle in the adjacent lane, swerving right wouldn't have been an option.

I guarantee that there is no person out there, including all of those people saying "he should have avoided", who stares steadfastly and unvaryingly ahead of them at all times. Heck, you are not even supposed to do that. You have to do periodic rear view mirror scans, and periodic instrument scans. It is absolutely necessary to look around so that you know what is around you. But an inherent result, a necessary consequence, is that during those times ... you are not looking ahead.

And then there's the following distance. YES, if you maintain roughly a 4 second following distance, it is theoretically possible to fully stop from highway speed within the distance that you can see ahead including a 1 second reaction time.

If you try to maintain a 4 second following distance in normal traffic, someone else is going to jump into the gap. In fact, a good many of the "he should have avoided" criticizers would themselves jump into such a gap.

In Quebec, and in a good many other places around the world, it is explicitly illegal to stop in a traffic lane of a road having a speed limit higher than a certain amount unless forced by traffic conditions. She broke that law, and killed someone by doing so.

Excerpt from the English translation of the Quebec Highway Safety Code:

"384. No person may stop a road vehicle on the roadway of a public highway where the maximum speed allowed is 70 km/h or more, unless in a case of necessity or when authorized to do so by signs or signals.

1986, c. 91, s. 384; 1990, c. 83, s. 149.

385. If the driver of a road vehicle stops his vehicle at night on a roadway out of necessity, the driver must keep his parking lights or flashing emergency lights on, or signal the presence of his vehicle by means of lamps, reflectors or flares visible from not less than 150 metres and used in accordance with the norms prescribed by regulation.

1986, c. 91, s. 385."

This is exactly how I explain it to people. Anytime I'm on the road bike or car and I see something odd, I always do a double take in my mirrors...seeing a woman on the side of the road chasing ducks around qualifies as odd.

There really needs to be a "Like" button on here!

Or an "Inreb" button

i probably would have done the same
and it hurts me to know that an animals life is worth nothing comparing to us
its a living thing regardless
next time you think about running over a dog think what would happen to you if it was a police dog
you would get a life sentence in prison for killing an officer of the law
but when its just a stray dog
life goes on like nothing happened

It hurts me to think that you care more about animals than the two humans that lost their lives because some moron decided to try to save the life of a bunch of animals. I have a dog and I would never think that it is at the same level as my children. If the dog died we would be sad, but we would and could buy another dog, if my children died i can't buy another one. They are living things sure. But if they got ran over and got killed who would care even a year later? But 10 years later the widow will miss her husband and daughter still, until the day she dies. Is OK to care about animals, but humans should come first.

If you ran over a police dog you would not get a life sentence, that is just dumb. Unless you intentionally ran over it. It would definitely depend on the circumstances. That is just a bad example.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is exactly how I explain it to people. Anytime I'm on the road bike or car and I see something odd, I always do a double take in my mirrors...seeing a woman on the side of the road chasing ducks around qualifies as odd.

Not this rider... he sees the girl on the side of the highway... takes his hand off the bar to 'gesture' the girl... and then slams into the back of her car.

There was two morons involved in this accident.

That's nuts!

Now the Police have joined the movement. Saw on CP24 that the OPP closed both directions of the QEW yesterday eafternoon while they and animal services officers tried to rescue a cat stuck in the median. Cat eventually made it safely off the highway on it's own.

Now the Police have joined the movement. Saw on CP24 that the OPP closed both directions of the QEW yesterday eafternoon while they and animal services officers tried to rescue a cat stuck in the median. Cat eventually made it safely off the highway on it's own.

Its a cat tho....they deserve special privileges..

In related news all highways in northern Ontario have been shut down immediately due to the possibility that wildlife will come in contact with cars.

In related news all highways in northern Ontario have been shut down immediately due to the possibility that wildlife will come in contact with cars.

I have heard they are going to move the animal crossings.

..Tom

..Tom

bah...just put up crosswalk sensors. Just imagine flashing crosswalk lights across the 400....

..Tom

Although funny enough I've seen in places they build a tunnel crossing under the road so wild life and cars can avoid each other. Its a smart idea although it sounds like a great place for predators to wait. I think we have killed most predators off in Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom