"Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

Re: "Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

i agree...if you are on the bike and a car is stopped in your lane you should be able to react / stop your bike in time to avoid a collision... what if this womans car had broken down and she wasnt able to get it onto the shoulder ?
shes an idiot but i ddont think shes 100% at fault here....

Last edited:
Re: "Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

A "privilege" is removed and 90 days? Doesn't sound like justice to me considering a woman's entire life has been turned upside down and 2 people are dead.

If the extent of the damage was personal injury, or property damage then yeah... chalk it up to stupidity but people have died. I don't know how you can consider this fair.

That privilege being gone comes with more consequence than just not being able to drive though - any job that requires any amount of travel are now unattainable to her for the next 10 years, no easy transport, basically a major inconvenience.

If it were just that plus 90 days, I would agree with you.

But on top of that she's been shown all over the news as the "idiot" who stopped in the middle of the highway (no one wants to hire an idiot), face to face customer service is out in case someone recognizes her and she'll have a criminal record making the job list even smaller, she's a public pariah, insurers can refuse to insure her, landlords can refuse to sell/rent to her, no entry to the states and the list goes on and on.

Then she's got 240 hours of community service to do.

That privilege being gone comes with more consequence than just not being able to drive though - any job that requires any amount of travel are now unattainable to her for the next 10 years, no easy transport, basically a major inconvenience.
Yes, it's a tragedy that she'll be inconvenienced after killing two people. Oh, wait, nevermind ... the tragedy was that she killed two people.:rolleyes:

i agree...if you are on the bike and a car is stopped in your lane you should be able to react / stop your bike in time to avoid a collision... what if this womans car had broken down and she wasnt able to get it onto the shoulder ?
shes an idiot but i ddont think shes 100% at fault here....

... But it didn't break down. And there's no "what ifs" in a court of law.

Yes, it's a tragedy that she'll be inconvenienced after killing two people. Oh, wait, nevermind ... the tragedy was that she killed two people.:rolleyes:

Haha completely missing the point of that post but thats ok :p

What is done is done at this point, I for one am glad that she at least is no longer on our roads.

Yes, this should be a loss of privilege, but 10 years is a long time for someone that made a split decision on a busy highway.... She made a grave mistake, but I would rather see Drunk Drivers whom were very lucky not to make a grave mistake given that 10 year ban than someone that was just mentally wrong at the time... That is how I look at it.
The biker and his daughter lost the privilege of ever doing anything again. His widow lost the privilege of growing old with her husband, of seeing her daughter grow up, of playing with her grandchildren.
Controlling a ton of metal on public roads requires absolute responsibility. She abdicated that responsibility when she stopped on a narrow highway with no thought to the possible ramifications. She was in complete control of what she did. That was a deliberate choice, one that indicates she has no business being behind the wheel.
And drunk drivers should be banned for life, first conviction, jailed for life on second.
That is how I look at it.

... But it didn't break down. And there's no "what ifs" in a court of law.

its hard to think of a scenario where rear ending a car on a major highway cant be easily avoided by a motorcyclist who is paying attention and has even modest bike handling skills and/or basic rider training

shes an idiot but i dont think shes 100% at fault here....

That's ok, she's not paying the 100% price.

That's ok, she's not paying the 100% price.
There really needs to be a "Like" button on here!

The biker and his daughter lost the privilege of ever doing anything again. His widow lost the privilege of growing old with her husband, of seeing her daughter grow up, of playing with her grandchildren.
Controlling a ton of metal on public roads requires absolute responsibility. She abdicated that responsibility when she stopped on a narrow highway with no thought to the possible ramifications. She was in complete control of what she did. That was a deliberate choice, one that indicates she has no business being behind the wheel.
And drunk drivers should be banned for life, first conviction, jailed for life on second.
That is how I look at it.

And here we have the crux of it. Sorry kids, but for the umpteenth time, you cannot control what others do, but you can control yourself. Leaving the obvious thoughts about this tragedy aside, and especially not using them as a soapbox to stand on, blaming others all the time is just going to get you dead. Riding beyond your sight line gets you dead. In the Clayton thread, in this one, and countless others, as a rider YOU have an opportunity to control your own fate. Choose wisely and stop blaming everything around you already.

CP24's advertising for this news broadcast was sketchy. they kept saying woman given jail for stopping for ducks, or something along those lines and didnt say anything about causing death until about 30 min later when they actually put it on the news.
i was walking by the TV in the cafe at work and heard them say it a couple times.

its hard to think of a scenario where rear ending a car on a major highway cant be easily avoided by a motorcyclist who is paying attention and has even modest bike handling skills and/or basic rider training

I would bet that a large percentage of criticizers would have hit the car in the same situation.

It's known that there was a large vehicle in front of the motorcycle in question. That would have blocked view of the stopped car while that large vehicle was still in the left lane. It's known that this vehicle did a lane change to the right, thus revealing the stopped car. Keep in mind that when the rider first saw that vehicle moving to the right, he wouldn't have known or seen WHY it was moving to the right. It's quite likely that even at normal following distances, there might have only been 2 to 3 seconds between first getting line of sight, and impact.

And ... The woman was outside the car walking along the roadside behind the car ... a visual distraction. It's pretty likely that the person walking along the roadside would have caught the eye of the rider and thus he would momentarily have looked away from his direction of travel.

AND ... We also don't know what was in the lane beside the bike. If there was another vehicle in the adjacent lane, swerving right wouldn't have been an option.

I guarantee that there is no person out there, including all of those people saying "he should have avoided", who stares steadfastly and unvaryingly ahead of them at all times. Heck, you are not even supposed to do that. You have to do periodic rear view mirror scans, and periodic instrument scans. It is absolutely necessary to look around so that you know what is around you. But an inherent result, a necessary consequence, is that during those times ... you are not looking ahead.

And then there's the following distance. YES, if you maintain roughly a 4 second following distance, it is theoretically possible to fully stop from highway speed within the distance that you can see ahead including a 1 second reaction time.

If you try to maintain a 4 second following distance in normal traffic, someone else is going to jump into the gap. In fact, a good many of the "he should have avoided" criticizers would themselves jump into such a gap.

In Quebec, and in a good many other places around the world, it is explicitly illegal to stop in a traffic lane of a road having a speed limit higher than a certain amount unless forced by traffic conditions. She broke that law, and killed someone by doing so.

Excerpt from the English translation of the Quebec Highway Safety Code:

"384. No person may stop a road vehicle on the roadway of a public highway where the maximum speed allowed is 70 km/h or more, unless in a case of necessity or when authorized to do so by signs or signals.

1986, c. 91, s. 384; 1990, c. 83, s. 149.

385. If the driver of a road vehicle stops his vehicle at night on a roadway out of necessity, the driver must keep his parking lights or flashing emergency lights on, or signal the presence of his vehicle by means of lamps, reflectors or flares visible from not less than 150 metres and used in accordance with the norms prescribed by regulation.

1986, c. 91, s. 385."

Yes. We should be paying attention at all times. I was driving down Beach Blvd. in Hamilton in my service van one beautiful sunny day contemplating the weekend coming up. The road was clear of traffic. No cars. Well didn't I just about cream a tard on a recumbent bicycle. Peddling along in the middle of the road at 1/4 the speed limit. Technically it would have been my fault but it takes two people to create that situation. And I have modest skillz.

if you almost killed a cyclist on an empty road with good conditions/visibility, then youre the 'tard not him...

I would bet that a large percentage of criticizers would have hit the car in the same situation.

It's known that there was a large vehicle in front of the motorcycle in question. That would have blocked view of the stopped car while that large vehicle was still in the left lane. It's known that this vehicle did a lane change to the right, thus revealing the stopped car. Keep in mind that when the rider first saw that vehicle moving to the right, he wouldn't have known or seen WHY it was moving to the right. It's quite likely that even at normal following distances, there might have only been 2 to 3 seconds between first getting line of sight, and impact.

And ... The woman was outside the car walking along the roadside behind the car ... a visual distraction. It's pretty likely that the person walking along the roadside would have caught the eye of the rider and thus he would momentarily have looked away from his direction of travel.

AND ... We also don't know what was in the lane beside the bike. If there was another vehicle in the adjacent lane, swerving right wouldn't have been an option.

I guarantee that there is no person out there, including all of those people saying "he should have avoided", who stares steadfastly and unvaryingly ahead of them at all times. Heck, you are not even supposed to do that. You have to do periodic rear view mirror scans, and periodic instrument scans. It is absolutely necessary to look around so that you know what is around you. But an inherent result, a necessary consequence, is that during those times ... you are not looking ahead.

And then there's the following distance. YES, if you maintain roughly a 4 second following distance, it is theoretically possible to fully stop from highway speed within the distance that you can see ahead including a 1 second reaction time.

If you try to maintain a 4 second following distance in normal traffic, someone else is going to jump into the gap. In fact, a good many of the "he should have avoided" criticizers would themselves jump into such a gap.

In Quebec, and in a good many other places around the world, it is explicitly illegal to stop in a traffic lane of a road having a speed limit higher than a certain amount unless forced by traffic conditions. She broke that law, and killed someone by doing so.

Excerpt from the English translation of the Quebec Highway Safety Code:

"384. No person may stop a road vehicle on the roadway of a public highway where the maximum speed allowed is 70 km/h or more, unless in a case of necessity or when authorized to do so by signs or signals.

1986, c. 91, s. 384; 1990, c. 83, s. 149.

385. If the driver of a road vehicle stops his vehicle at night on a roadway out of necessity, the driver must keep his parking lights or flashing emergency lights on, or signal the presence of his vehicle by means of lamps, reflectors or flares visible from not less than 150 metres and used in accordance with the norms prescribed by regulation.

1986, c. 91, s. 385."

....so to summarize, he hit the car because he was following a large vehicle too closely, and was possibly distracted by someone beside the roadway and couldn't react in time to the hazard on the road....by anyones definition thats poor riding....unfortunately he paid the ultimate price

Last edited:

if you almost killed a cyclist on an empty road with good conditions/visibility, then youre the 'tard not him...

I know I'm a 'tard in that instance. The cyclist is a 'tard for assuming he's safe to peddle down the middle of the road at very low speed because people don't always expect that. Would you consider the cyclist blameless in the event of his demise?

I know I'm a 'tard in that instance. The cyclist is a 'tard for assuming he's safe to peddle down the middle of the road at very low speed because people don't always expect that. Would you consider the cyclist blameless in the event of his demise?

im not familiar with that area...if its a narrow road , he is entitled to the full lane, otherwise slower vehicles should keep to the right, so he's not blameless if its a typical urban street...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycling-guide/section3.0.shtml

im not familiar with that area...if its a narrow road , he is entitled to the full lane, otherwise slower vehicles should keep to the right, so he's not blameless if its a typical urban street...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycling-guide/section3.0.shtml

He should have been to the right as I understand cycling and traffic. Point is I did not expect to see him where he was because that is out of the norm. That's not an excuse to hit him but it is a reason to hit him. What if somebody parks a ping pong table on end in the lane while they bend down to refasten the velcro closures on their sneakers? If I hit the ping pong table dead nuts it's also my fault but come on.
You can't park a vehicle directly in the fast lane and expect to not be held responsible to some degree. A break down is a different matter. It comes down to intent and negligence imho. In a perfect world the car wouldn't get hit but we're not there yet. Got to roll with reality.

It depends where. I've had two lanes of highway traffic stop so that I could take a picture, down east.

I've also had a pair of cars stop both directions of traffic while they had a catch-up chat.

Apparently, not everyone is as Frantic as people from the GTA.

....so to summarize, he hit the car because he was following a large vehicle too closely, and was possibly distracted by someone beside the roadway and couldn't react in time to the hazard on the road....by anyones definition thats poor riding....unfortunately he paid the ultimate price

Do you maintain 4 seconds following distance on a 400 series highway?? (The recommended 2 seconds is not sufficient to fully stop within the distance that you can see ahead, including reaction time and including allowance for your eyes being momentarily off the road ahead while you check instruments or mirrors.)

How many cars cut into that gap?

It's not practical when there is more than moderate traffic volume.

And, as noted in my previous quote, what she did was explicitly illegal by Quebec's highway safety code.

Back
Top Bottom