"Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

Re: "Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

In La Presse. I posted an English-language link for your reading comfort.

The Gazette says "Pauline Volikakis, the woman who lost her husband, Roy, and their daughter Jessie in the collision said she was satisfied with the sentence and especially happy that it closed the door on the trial."

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...-while-helping-ducks-to-be-sentenced-thursday.

Re: "Duck savior" gets 90-day sentence to be served on weekends + 10yr driving ban

Interesting..

"Volikakis, who was following her husband and daughter on her own motorcycle at the time of the crash, made her case against leniency at Czornobaj’s sentence hearing on Friday.“Hey, wake up, people,” she said. “You are saying that this person’s negligent driving that caused the deaths of two people — my husband and my daughter — is to be treated as an action that should be overlooked? Would you turn your back and look the other way if it happened to you?”
Volikakis was referring to efforts by Czornobaj, her lawyers and supporters to keep her out of prison."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...baj-says-wife-and-mother-of-victims-1.2772861

Been reading comments all over the media. It's about 75/25 in defense of the girl, which is not so surprising. People are reacting based on their own mental image of what a highway is.

Very little room to maneuver on the 30, which makes her stopping in the fast lane even less reasonable.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...ets-90-days-jail-240-hours-community-service/

Seems appropriate. Victims' family is satisfied.

Now, she's appealing the driving ban. *facepalm* Move to the city and get a bus pass.

She's lucky she'll be allowed to drive ever. I think if the courts took a look at if they would want someone that thinks like she does on the road, endangering more lives they will have the sense to keep the ban.

Whenever you get a ticket, read something about a ticket, talk to a cop about tickets there is always this idea that driving is not a right. It is a privilege and if you take the life of someone while driving because of a purposeful act, you have lost that privilege.

At least thats the way I look at it.

Last edited:

Yes, this should be a loss of privilege, but 10 years is a long time for someone that made a split decision on a busy highway.... She made a grave mistake, but I would rather see Drunk Drivers whom were very lucky not to make a grave mistake given that 10 year ban than someone that was just mentally wrong at the time... That is how I look at it.

Did the ducks survive????????????

Did the ducks survive????????????

asking the important questions right there.

Renewing your license is $100 every year in QC. Looks like she'll be saving a ton of money. :happy8:

I wonder what a 90 day sentence is in actual days. It couldn't possibly be 90 days could it?

I have a question...in case this happens to me...

I see a duck/geese/cannine family on the road and cannot change lane....solution is to ram them head on right? worry about airbag deployment later correct? stopping is not the answer for sure...

Stopping to avoid hitting them is reasonable leaving your car on the highway and chasing them around is not.

sent from a device using a program

I would like to note that the occurrences of people stopping in the middle of yhe roadway isnt uncommon.

Last week during the snow storm on the 400SB @ 401, I encountered a driver that wanted to move over from the 401EB lanes to the 401WB lanes but Wb was packed and backed up approx 1km with a line of cars. The driver made a dead stop in a live lane on the 400 signalling in with the roads covered in snow...

Just yesterday, while driving home from work going along rutherford rd/16th ave at bathurst at 5:25pm, I kid you not a lady threw her hazard lights on in the left lane and STOPPED (2 lane road) for what? PICKING UP HER PHONE...

Sure the duck savior killed someone by stopping and they're trying to set an example to others not to stop in rhe middle of the roadway, but it will not help the people who think there's nothing wrong with their driving habits.

/rant

Stopping to avoid hitting them is reasonable leaving your car on the highway and chasing them around is not.

sent from a device using a program

So what is logically supposed to happen?

In the best case scenario she drives past them slowly, scaring them even more into a panic and running like wild geese on a highway.

She could have used her hazards, yeah. She didn't know that the E-brake didn't turn on the break lights, I doubt many people know that. I didn't until I started driving manual vehicles.

How I understand, her vehicle was stopped and vehicle A was coming down her lane and turned lanes last second, which made the bike have no room to turn and run into the back of her car. If that was the case obviously the bike was too close, as he was following too close. Anyone that has had the pleasure of going through Quebec will know that they are horrible drivers, quick lane changes, no space, random braking etc.

Take her license, sure. But 10 years is a long time. I know people with 2 DUIs that haven't had theirs taken away that long.

but did the DUIs cause 2 deaths?

She made a "mistake" with reckless disregard for the safety of other drivers. Either she is negligent or she is just plain too stupid to be driving on a public highway. The same kind of people who violate a motorcycle's right of way then say "Ooops, sorry, I wasn't looking that way..." I would say justice has been served to a minimum, and the ten year driving ban should stay.

A "privilege" is removed and 90 days? Doesn't sound like justice to me considering a woman's entire life has been turned upside down and 2 people are dead.

If the extent of the damage was personal injury, or property damage then yeah... chalk it up to stupidity but people have died. I don't know how you can consider this fair.

A "privilege" is removed and 90 days? Doesn't sound like justice to me considering a woman's entire life has been turned upside down and 2 people are dead.

If the extent of the damage was personal injury, or property damage then yeah... chalk it up to stupidity but people have died. I don't know how you can consider this fair.

+1

I heard comments from both lawyers yesterday. They both mentioned that the judge tore into the driver for showing little remorse during the proceedings. I can't imagine the slap on the wrist she would have got if she did show remorse. My heart breaks for the family of those riders.

Wonder what the motorcyclists were looking at while this was all happening.

In general, we're supposed to be looking as far ahead as possible -- 12, 15-seconds' worth of travel time/distance -- assessing possible threats and setting up to deal with them. Did these folks even slow down?

A CTV story reads, in part, "Through tears, [Roy's wife] said that right before the crash, Roy waved his hands at Czornobaj as if to warn her it was dangerous to be walking along the highway’s narrow shoulder." Very weird. How far away from her car was she at this point? Why was he so focused on her instead of what was in front of him?

So sad and tragic. Stupid car driver, inattentive bike rider == death.

Back
Top Bottom