Higher bars or bar risers? Brace or no brace? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Higher bars or bar risers? Brace or no brace?

Motorcycle Mike

I'm starting to look into bar options for both my DRZ and my Vstrom.

The DRZ is too low when standing, and apparently too weak although I haven't bent mine much yet.

The Wee-strom's is also a bit low when standing, however I cannot have a bar with a cross brace on this bike as I mount my GPS to the bar.

DRZ: Considering a Pro-taper mid-ATV bar that I have seen other people use online, have also heard good things about the Renthal Jimmie Button edition. Problem is, both have braces.

Considering a fatbar or twin bar, but then need an adapter. Also worried that my handguards won't mount on a fatbar (how far does the taper go?), and my spitfire windshield that I occasionally use might not work either.

V-strom... I could live with just risers on this... not necessarily a new bar. If I get a new bar I need something without a brace, so I'd likely have to go to a fatbar with an adapter.

What has worked for you guys? What hasn't worked out?

What I am thinking is just a Pro-Taper Mid ATV bar for the DRZ, as I can live with the brace on the bike and could use a brace pad then.

Thinking of the Rox 2" riser 'FX Elite' for the Vstrom -- so I can raise it up and back, and with the FX Elite I could use 7/8 bars or fat bars, so I can keep the stock bars for now and later get fat bars if I want them.

I've got Rox risers on my dirt bike and SW-Motech risers on the VStrom. In both cases I went with risers rather than different bars because I was happy with the bend of the stock bars; I just wanted them higher. I was having a hard time figuring out how the bend of aftermarket bars compared to the stock ones, particularly the wrist angle, so risers were just simpler.

I prefer risers myself. Had a set of 2" Rox risers on my WR250R when I had it. The beauty of risers is that it is an easy install and you can back out said install easily if the cables are stretched too much or don't reach at all. That's not readily obvious when going with taller bars until everything has been dismantled.

I have regular roostguards that mount to the bar just a few inches below the grips on my Rental fatbars on my current ride. They fit fine. It was on the bike when I bought it but if I were to do it again, I'd go with triple clamp handguards because they are much stronger.

You have to be a little careful with risers,
and new handlebars,
or the cables might be strained or not reach,
when fully turned one way or the other.

There's a steering damper on my strom,
and spun the bar and levers just enough to satisfy me.

I also have a fork brace, which seems to help.

I prefer risers myself. Had a set of 2" Rox risers on my WR250R when I had it. The beauty of risers is that it is an easy install and you can back out said install easily if the cables are stretched too much or don't reach at all. That's not readily obvious when going with taller bars until everything has been dismantled.

I have regular roostguards that mount to the bar just a few inches below the grips on my Rental fatbars on my current ride. They fit fine. It was on the bike when I bought it but if I were to do it again, I'd go with triple clamp handguards because they are much stronger.

Good point... what I might do is just order one set of Rox Elite risers to leave my options open, and I can test them on either bike before getting in too deep.

I don't think I have much worry raising the bars on the DRZ, as all the cables appear to have enough slack. The Vstrom, however, I am not sure if the brake line is long enough. If I ever upgrade to stainless, then I will get 2" longer but I am not sure when I will do that.

Next question... is there any retailer in the GTA who stocks Rox risers?

I stopped by Cycle World West and discovered they are closed until March!

Last edited:
You might want to check on Stromtrooper for what others have done.

here's an example:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/#/forumsite/20766/topics/232897?page=2

Yep, I read through a ton of threads there and discovered that some claim to have no problem using a rox riser on a 2012+ vstrom, and others said it is impossible without longer lines and cables.

So what I did was ordered one 2" rox riser and one 30mm Tusk bar riser off of ebay and then I'll figure out which one I want on which bike.

Back
Top Bottom