2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - Off-Road | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - Off-Road

shredder

Anybody rode a V-Strom in the dirt? Just bought one, primarily for pavement and long tours bit wanted the ability to maybe handle a gravel road or old logging road. Anybody know what I can expect with this bike off pavement?

It will be quite happy on anything that can reasonably be called a road, including gravel and hard packed fire roads.

I've had my 650 on ATV trails and it is okay as long as the ground is solid, but it is just not happy on soft ground like mud and sand with street oriented dual sport tires. More aggressive dual sport tires would help, but it is still a big, heavy bike.

I used to take a similar large adventure bike off road. Keep them out of mud, they are top heavy pigs. Gravel roads are fun, you get hilarious looks from farmers when you are hauling *** down on a loose gravel surface just let the bike wander beneath you (like on a metal grate bridge). Logging roads, probably fine too as long as they aren't too beat up. Have fun.

Mine is a 650 and I've had it on some long days of off pavement stuff. Rider skill aside, I found that it handles quite well considering how top heavy it is. Like Ash also pointed out, it has a lot to do with your choice in tires and for me, the handlebars were swapped out for ATV bars with a higher sweep which makes it easier to manage when standing on the pegs. Awesome bikes they are - congrats on the purchase. My favourite tires for off pavement on this bike are the TKC80's, but I have yet to try out the Heidenau's.

Shane which bars in particular do you use? Do you use risers as well?

I was thinking getting a set of Pro Taper ATV mid bars for my DRZ, but now you got me thinking I should get two sets and put one on the Wee as well -- the only thing is I don't want a brace, so I might have to get a fat bar which means I will need an adapter.

Anyway, to answer the OP, the Vstrom can easily handle logging roads. Somewhere Supernam has a video of him and I on an unopened road allowance that was mostly sand. I didn't bother to reduce my tire pressure and it still did well.

I would agree with the others about avoiding deep mud though, as you obviously can't throw a Vstrom around like its a DRZ, WR, or KLX. I can only imagine what will happen the first time you get into a greasy tire track with a heavy V-strom -- no thanks. Anyway, I've done water crossings, sand, and 1300km of crappy gravel on the Labrador highway on a V-strom 650, and can say it is a capable bike.

Mine is a 650 and I've had it on some long days of off pavement stuff. Rider skill aside, I found that it handles quite well considering how top heavy it is. Like Ash also pointed out, it has a lot to do with your choice in tires and for me, the handlebars were swapped out for ATV bars with a higher sweep which makes it easier to manage when standing on the pegs. Awesome bikes they are - congrats on the purchase. My favourite tires for off pavement on this bike are the TKC80's, but I have yet to try out the Heidenau's.

I had my vstrom 1000 off road numerous times. Probably a lot more serious than most would go. Stand up and let her go, actually a blast on fast fire roads. Not as much fun on an atv trail, but she made it, 36km there and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane which bars in particular do you use? Do you use risers as well?
The ones I have are these: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Series-Standard-Handlebars/dp/B000TYG96G

Mike, I don't know how tall you are, but I'm about 6' and risers aren't needed at all, either standing or seated. They might help a slight bit for standing, but they way I have the bars angled, I'm pretty close to the end of any slack in my cables. I liked that these are way less money than the stock bars, much stronger, and have a better sweep to them which (for me) feels more comfortable than the stock bars. Of note is that the internal diameter of the bar ends is more narrow than stock bars, so a lot of stuff won't fit right without modification, including bar ends, throttle locks that work off the bar ends like Kaoko's, hand guards and vibration dampeners. I did find that the ATV bars are so solid that I didn't need the bar ends for vibration reduction. Street riding with them feels better too.

If I had to do it again, I would still get the ATV bars, but just find a set with the standard internal diameter of the bar ends, so all the goodies can go on without wasting time with modifications.

edit: here's the best pic I have of them on the bike
DSCN9324-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom