Sydney Australia Hostage Situation | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sydney Australia Hostage Situation

I heard chatter from Oz that the store employee rushed the gunman, tried to tackle him and was killed in the foray.
That prompted police to enter.

Gunman was known to police. Apparently he was convicted for sending rather disgusting letters to the families of dead servicemen. He was out on bail after being charged as an accessory in his ex-wife's death. He operated a 'spiritual healing clinic' and was recently charged (42 counts in fact) with sexual assault, pertaining to activities that took place at the clinic. The charges date back as far as 2002.

I'd say this was a case of a random dirbag, with nothing left to lose, going postal.

If you want a bigger culture shock, go to Israel. Military going to/from their shifts walk around with assault rifles like it's nothing. Very odd experience riding a bus with a military officer with what looks like an AK-47 slung over their back reading the paper.

Lol.. I hang out with people who have rifles slung and pistols holstered once a week and most of them aren't cops or soldiers.. It's IT professionals, guys in the trades, engineers, retail sales associates... And I feel perfectly safe. It's not the good guy with a gun that you should be afraid of :)

Hmm...sad state of affairs. This guy didn't have a suicide trigger and body bomb but a lot of ideological nutbags seem to these days. What would have happened if the have a go heroes were in that situation? Here's my bet...lots more than three dead.

Last point, when did you last see a news report out of Oz about something like this? Rare isn't it. Wonder why. Last report out of the US? The same ****ing day.

Lastly, I've travelled around Israel too. Sat for three hours with someone's weapon poking into my side. Probably the first and only time I'll ever need to say "excuse me, do you mind moving your gun". Also watched them (civilians) eject an old man off the bus at gunpoint too. Beautiful country, ****ed up people.

These lunatics should be rectally fed with gun powder!!! killing school children, very upsetting.

They're sending a strong message. Apparently their women and children are suffering the same fate at the hands of the other side. So tit for tat. That's per 5 oclock news.

I heard chatter from Oz that the store employee rushed the gunman, tried to tackle him and was killed in the foray.

And that's why hostages are reluctant to be the hero. Anyone else think they can do better?

They're sending a strong message. Apparently their women and children are suffering the same fate at the hands of the other side. So tit for tat. That's per 5 oclock news.

Oh yea I see tit for tat! Who cares right?

Unfortunately when you bring your families into a combat zone, that you've created yourself, you're putting them at risk. Such claims are right along the same lines as when Hezbollah sets up a rocket launcher in a school or hospital, then points to the innocent victims of Israeli counter battery fire. It's sad when innocent women and children are injured and killed, but who is really responsible?

Complaint about the news coverage from my cousin over there, news here said there was as many as 40 hostages, there was only 17 and the news made it to be bigger drama than it was.

Really? So 17 hostages is a much smaller deal than 40? I suppose anything less than 5 would hardly be worth mentioning, then.
And imagine the press getting non-pertinent facts wrong in the middle of an fluid situation, where access is highly restricted and information is spotty at best.

Really? So 17 hostages is a much smaller deal than 40? I suppose anything less than 5 would hardly be worth mentioning, then.
And imagine the press getting non-pertinent facts wrong in the middle of an fluid situation, where access is highly restricted and information is spotty at best.

Blowing things out of proportion, making it seem like it's the end of the world. Then there was the issue of the news reporting the movements of the police themselves. They were getting enough news for 3 minutes an hour and between speculation and fluff were filling in the other 57 minutes. People are shot all hours of the day in the usa and it doesn't even make the police blotter, someone holds a gun in australia and it's international news.

I think she just wants accuracy and not blowing it out of proportion. If they don't know then why not simply say "an unknown number of hostages"?

Of course the reason is that news really isn't news nowadays, it's media and entertainment.

I think she just wants accuracy and not blowing it out of proportion. If they don't know then why not simply say "an unknown number of hostages"?

Of course the reason is that news really isn't news nowadays, it's media and entertainment.

Exactly, you turn on the radio and it's "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" but it's never falling it's a minor incident in the grand scale of things.

Back
Top Bottom