Light bulbs (household) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Light bulbs (household)

inreb

Site Supporter
I'm finding the CFLs life span inconsistent. Put my toe in the water with LEDs. No personal anecdotes yet. Yesterday I picked up a 16 pack 40watt incandescents dirt cheap at the HomeDepot. The two I put in last night were DOA this AM. At the refund counter the nice lady said light bulb situation is proving dire. She provided some examples. She would know because she works the refund counter. Is everybody happy with light bulbs these days? What's the word on the street?

I'm finding the CFLs life span inconsistent. Put my toe in the water with LEDs. No personal anecdotes yet. Yesterday I picked up a 16 pack 40watt incandescents dirt cheap at the HomeDepot. The two I put in last night were DOA this AM. At the refund counter the nice lady said light bulb situation is proving dire. She provided some examples. She would know because she works the refund counter. Is everybody happy with light bulbs these days? What's the word on the street?

Cashing in some rrsps in the new year to convert all my lights to led's. Hope to recoup the investment by the time retirement rolls around.
I have 22 par20 50 watt potlights in the basement. 7 gu-10 lights on the main floor. Be interested to figure out what the savings will be. Enough to keep me not using led Christmas lights for a few more years, me thinks.

It seems like there is a vast supply of sub-par lightbulbs at attractive prices. The only thing I can suggest to save money on good quality bulbs, is steal them from condo lobbies and big box stores

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

CFL's are done. Don't waste your cash on these. LEDs are it......

Sent from my Passport

We pit GU10 pot lights in the basement and bought some LED's to replace the halogen ones. The LED's mostly burned out and only a few of the halogen ones have. The LED's we bought from someplace online for 1/2 price.

Switched about a dozen bulbs to LED over the past year.
With a lifespan of ~22,000 hours, DOA should be a spell down the road.
I don't shop there, but Ikea seems to have unbeatable prices.
I have 75W, 60W and 40W equivalent.
My power usage monitor has confirmed LED lights use next to no power.

Switched about a dozen bulbs to LED over the past year.
With a lifespan of ~22,000 hours, DOA should be a spell down the road.
I don't shop there, but Ikea seems to have unbeatable prices.
I have 75W, 60W and 40W equivalent.
My power usage monitor has confirmed LED lights use next to no power.

Power usage monitor? Like PeakSaver plus?

I've been using leds for quite a while now. Did so when they were $20 a pop here. Got them online for $5. They were burning out originally but now they have perfected it.

The LED's mostly burned out. The LED's we bought from someplace online for 1/2 price.

Don't buy the no name crap online. It's all junk....

The Costco led's are pretty crappy too....

Sent from my Passport

Don't buy the no name crap online. It's all junk....

The Costco led's are pretty crappy too....

Sent from my Passport

Which ones do you like? I was gonna buy the Luminous (?) from Costco.
Maybe the ines from Lowe's? Or Ikea, as suggested?

Power usage monitor? Like PeakSaver plus?

Exactly.
I used the "appliance" setting. Turned on about a dozen incandescent bulbs. Noticed usage. (forget hrly amt)
Did the same after swapping to LED's. Nothing registered with 11 or 12 of them on.

The CFCs I have in the kitchen take a while to come to full bright. ????

I put about 10 LED pots in the rec room, buying them from a legit wholesaler. He warned me to keep the receipt so even they have concerns. So far no failures but we don't run them that much.

CFL lamps do take several seconds to warm up, it's normal.

I changed all the commonly-used lamps over to CFL about 12 years ago, and just recently, the first one burned out (and it's in the fixture that is used the most). It will be replaced with LED. Good tip on the Cree bulb from Home Depot.

I have a few different types of CFL in the house, because it took a while to find a type that I liked the output of - ended up being Phillips. The no-name ones are a harsh white. I'm a bit concerned that LED will have the same issue.

The no-name ones are a harsh white. I'm a bit concerned that LED will have the same issue.

All my leds are warm white which is around 3000k. It doesn't affect my eyes like lights that are 6000k. Really white light have a fluorescent glow to it.

The eBay ones I have do not. I am happy with them

I changed all the commonly-used lamps over to CFL about 12 years ago, and just recently, the first one burned out (and it's in the fixture that is used the most).

That's a very favourable outcome.

I really dont remember the title of the movie. But one of reasosn why lightbulbs' lifespan and quality is so mediocre compared to the potential we could've reached right now is all because of planned obsolescence. There was a big documentary about it, very interesting info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel

The expensive light bulbs, whether CFL or LED make me sick. Especially when they burn out really much sooner than they were supposed to. Happened several times ... and it was Phillips.

Back
Top Bottom