track days information from Europe | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

track days information from Europe

Before you make such an important move you need to consider Lifestyle and Weather. I am not trying to be negative but comparing the lifestyle here in Canada and the European lifestyle I believe you may be better off in Europe. If this is a temporary contract for example 1 year, then yes give it a try. If it is a permanent position then I suggest you think about it. Since we Italians are passionate about our motorcycles bear in mind the Canadian way is different. Decisione...decisione... Ciao.

Hi Matley,

If and when you arrive in Toronto, you can get all the information you are looking for by going to one of the annual motorcycle shows. The Toronto Motorcycle Show is scheduled for Feb 20-22, 2015 http://www.torontomotorcycleshow.ca/

All of the major trackday providers will be there and will answer any questions you may have. Different providers (some are motorcycle shops, some are racing organizations) will concentrate their track days at specific tracks, so you may be best to decide first what tracks you would like to ride, and what days, then finally see who will be hosting the track day.

I'm biased but would like to suggest Riders Choice for Shannonville Motorsports Park (www.shannonville.com) They hold the largest number of days at that track. It is a laid back atmosphere with great organization and camaraderie.

Be sure to stop by the Riders Choice booth at the show and introduce yourself. I'll be there helping out all weekend.

Good luck with your decision!

It's not a bad place to live, but it depends on your personality as well. Some people just simply never accept the good and bad (every place on earth has that) of a new place ...

As far as motorcycling in general, track days etc. ..... You will be disappointed, I'd be shocked if not. Whether it's street riding (local traffic laws are not exactly motorcycle friendly; sub average skills of drivers in Ontario when compared to most Europe) or track riding ... especially if you rode places like Brno and other fabulous MotoGP approved tracks. It simply is no comparison and you will have to accept that and get your suspension sorted first ... LOL

You will though like our prices for bikes, parts and tires ... much cheaper on this side of the Atlantic.

The one thing I can tell you is while the all the tracks in this area are not of the caliber of the European ones, if you race with either SOAR or RACE the people you will meet (competitors and their famiiies)are first class. They may compete with you on the track but they will also help and party with you off the track. It is like a big family.
Regarding Canada - I'm biased - I have travelled all over the world, and I think it still offers great opportunity, and is a great place to live. Not that it doesn't have it faults but every country has politicians !

Last edited:
thanks to everybody, I'll be in Toronto for the first touch from 10th to 13th of Jan...... this it is definitely a long Xmas break for me. One day I think not to move, the day after I change my mind. Yesterday my boss strongly suggested to me to go. I travell a lot but, after the experience in Sydney, it has been now 13 years I'm not abroad for more than few weeks.
I agree that every place can be good or bad from the people you meet and the things you do...... The track is what I believe can help me... I understood that Canada does not offer so much in terms of tracks, I have seen a couple on web.... This winter I have not yet booked for 2015 season with exception of Brno 1-2 June.
Other point is that I have just bought the new bike, I tried only once in Mugello and, if it will be, I want to bring it to Canada and to keep in Italy the older.... ...... the point is that the bike is only racing with a chassis without number because purchased separately. I do not know how it works with the Custom

My work place should be in Ancaster, but it does not look so exiciting to me.... No problem for me to do 1 hour on each way, since I have been doing for years. Is it faseable to stay close to Toronto. Which suburbs do you suggest?

I started to refresh my geography.... within 800 km from Toronto there are interesting tracks in US like watkins glen, Indianapolis and Mid-ohio. I do not know if they are all open also for motorbikes track days, is there any particular reason not to go there?

Ancaster is actually quite good. The Hamilton area has less expensive housing than Toronto.

Mid-Ohio has occasional motorcycle track days. Indianapolis (the big track) is only open for "the big boys" (MotoGP), not to ordinary people. Watkins Glen is unsuitable for motorcycles due to too many walls too close to the track.

There are smaller tracks in the USA that regularly have motorcycle track days and are not too far away - notably Grattan (Michigan).

Main problem with going to the USA for track days is health insurance ...

Thanks Brian!!!
I saw Mid-Ohio on youtube it looks nice..... 1 out of 3 :( about Watkins there are not motorcycles days or it is not advised to go? I went once to see the British SBK in Cadwell Park.... difficult to think something worst than that, but I would not race as well :)
Canada is like US for insurance? if I move to Canada honestly I do not know how I would manage the health assistance with my company. In Europe we are covered by the law in all EU, so also when I'm out of Italy. For other countries like Croatia until last year I had to get a paper from italian health autority for the period of my stay in Croatia to be covered free of charge... this normally happens in all countries with bilateral conventions, I did also when I was in Australia... I do not know if it works in US or Canada

Is it faesable to do Toronto west suburbs - Ancaster every day? google maps tells me aroung 70 km, but I guess I would be counterflow for the traffic

It is possible and it is against the main traffic flow, but Etobicoke, Oakville, and Burlington are all crowded and very expensive. If you like riding/driving then Dundas, Ancaster, and some parts of Hamilton are better and less expensive and you will have a shorter commute ... Stay out of the area of Hamilton near the steel mills, though - cheap but not good!

Thanks Brian for the advices,
Since I'm single I would like to stay in Toronto suburbs just to have more fun. I do think to use the bike on the road, I have one but I used only couple of times this year... I'm getting lazy.. I have started to read something about west suburbs of Toronto, they look nice.

Is it faesable to do Toronto west suburbs - Ancaster every day?

If you like your free time, you don't want to sit in a car for 2hrs a day .... at peak times and especially on 401,403, QEW etc. direction of traffic means nothing in GTA. Jam after jam, especially with few drops of rain or snow on the ground ... it's 4:30pm now and you are looking at 1hr with a lot less people on the road due to holidays. 2hrs a day, 5 times a week ..... it adds up.

Transportation (or lack of it) is one of the big problems in Ontario, especially GTA area. Sorry, there's no other way to put it, even if your glass is always half full.

Maybe tap into the staff you will be working with, I am sure people have opinions which might differ from ours.

Good luck, wherever you land.

and finally decision is made at 99%........... I'll be a Toronto rider. If everything goes fast as last week, I can be in Toronto in couple of months. Good or not I do not know, but let's try.
I hope to be more and more in contact with you guys and to have fun. Idea is to bring at least one bike with me
Yesrtday I went to my friend to check the new color...... it was not 100% the one I wantes, but it is OK, negligeble with respect to other priorities :)

IMG-20150207-00732.jpg

Toronto = Mi fa cagare!! Another area to consider for living would be cambridge or Brantford. It would be 30-40 minutes commute and it's a nice city with every amenity possible and A LOT cheaper than Toronto. In bringing a bike with you I'd be careful how big the cc's are. Insurance here is terrible and I'm not sure how much credit you would get with previous experience. I will assume someone can chime in on this? I recall reading before that people have come here and been given little to no credit for past riding experience in other countries? Good luck with your move across the pond.

Hi Roomie, I'll check the places you suggest me, if you want to give me additional info please do not hesitate to write to me, I will really appreciate it.... for the bike it is only for race use. I cannot even put it on the road :)
I used to have fun on the street when I was younger and hopefully I'm still here....... it is not the time anymore for me to go on the street... I'm too lazy :)

Hey matey,
I would ask your boss what city or what area of the GTA your office will be located - that will really help you make a decision on where to live...
As for the track bike - be sure to have a place with a garage or rent a storage unit. Do not leave it in a condominium or normal apartment underground parking - it will be stolen in very short order.

Hope to see you at the track this summer!

See you are from Milan - been there a few times... just love that city and feel very much at home there...

I'm looking to buy my first track bike and get into my first track season here and this thread has been really helpful for giving an overview of organizations/tracks. I think I should be stickied for other newbies.

Hey matey,
I would ask your boss what city or what area of the GTA your office will be located - that will really help you make a decision on where to live...
As for the track bike - be sure to have a place with a garage or rent a storage unit. Do not leave it in a condominium or normal apartment underground parking - it will be stolen in very short order.

Hope to see you at the track this summer!

See you are from Milan - been there a few times... just love that city and feel very much at home there...

Workplace will be in Ancaster. You are right I need absolutely a garage!! Bike, tyres and all the rest need room. In my current house, the car is outside because the garage is full!!! :))

Unfortunatelly there are not many tracks, but at least the Dunlop KR seem cheaper than Europe

Workplace will be in Ancaster. You are right I need absolutely a garage!! Bike, tyres and all the rest need room. In my current house, the car is outside because the garage is full!!! :))

Unfortunatelly there are not many tracks, but at least the Dunlop KR seem cheaper than Europe

Ancaster is a nice upscale place to live, your bike might be around longer. Then take our crappy transit to TO if you want to party.

after a while I can say that I'll be a canadian biker...... decision is taken, less than 2 months and I'll move.... hopefully I will still make some track days in Europe but I need to get your support to enjoy what Canada and USA offer for track days.

This is my mugello last saturday.... not good lap time, but for sure my mind was not 100% oK

Last edited:
after a while I can say that I'll be a canadian biker...... decision is taken, less than 2 months and I'll move.... hopefully I will still make some track days in Europe but I need to get your support to enjoy what Canada and USA offer for track days.

This is my mugello last saturday.... not good lap time, but for sure my mind was not 100% oK

nice

Back
Top Bottom