Costco: is it too onerous to be worth it? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Costco: is it too onerous to be worth it?

This all seems very complicated, I never had any issues shopping at Costco.

I go in, show my card, shop and show my card at cash and receipt at the exit. Total time wasted showing cards and receipts (+- 15 seconds)

Only once time the kid at the exit was overwhelmed and took a little longer to check my receipt, I gave him a break and moved on with my day.

That's because this whole story may be ********...

Don't want to call out the OP without knowing the situation but here are the facts.

Costco sent newsletters that they will be ending their deal with AMEX but that cards will still be valid till the end of the year. I don't see them not honouring that.

Costco does not accept any credit cards other than Costco AMEX. Cash or debit only. I'd like to know how OP paid with a mastercard.

I have no affiliation with Costco other than shopping there a couple times a month for a handful of years now, I'm pretty familiar with their policies and ways of doing things.

When Costco announced they ended their relationship with AMEX, they announced they had a relationship with Capital One. I happen to have a Capital One mastercard in my wallet right now with my picture and costco # on the back, so it would seem you don't know what you are talking about.

Now, to add a bit more info. Since Costco now accepts Capital One Mastercards, that means they accept most if not all Mastercards, but only the Capital One cards with your picture on the back can be used in lieu of the actual Costco card.

Anyway, the way I posted is 100% true, and that is why my Mom was shocked to be turned away. That is also why she didn't carry her actual Costco card because the literature that arrived in the mail indicated she would be able to use the AMEX Costco card until Dec. 31.

Thanks for calling me a liar though.

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/

[h=2]OVERVIEW[/h]
[h=3]Earn cash back virtually everywhere.[/h]The Capital One Platinum MasterCard is exclusively for Costco members.

PRODUCT SNAPSHOT

• Get 3% on restaurant purchases, 2% on gas purchases and up to 1% on all other purchases
  • No limit on how much you can earn at these rates
  • No annual fee
EXTRAS

That's because this whole story may be ********...

Don't want to call out the OP without knowing the situation but here are the facts.

Costco sent newsletters that they will be ending their deal with AMEX but that cards will still be valid till the end of the year. I don't see them not honouring that.

Costco does not accept any credit cards other than Costco AMEX. Cash or debit only. I'd like to know how OP paid with a mastercard.

I have no affiliation with Costco other than shopping there a couple times a month for a handful of years now, I'm pretty familiar with their policies and ways of doing things.

Last edited:
When Costco announced they ended their relationship with AMEX, they announced they had a relationship with Capital One. I happen to have a Capital One mastercard in my wallet right now with my picture and costco # on the back, so it would seem you don't know what you are talking about.

Now, to add a bit more info. Since Costco now accepts Capital One Mastercards, that means they accept most if not all Mastercards, but only the Capital One cards with your picture on the back can be used in lieu of the actual Costco card.

Anyway, the way I posted is 100% true, and that is why my Mom was shocked to be turned away. That is also why she didn't carry her actual Costco card because the literature that arrived in the mail indicated she would be able to use the AMEX Costco card until Dec. 31.

Thanks for calling me a liar though.

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/

This is 100% correct.
Announced in May, Costco Canada and AMEX parted ways.
New partnerships with Capital One MC.
Funny thing: Wife received her new Costco Amex in the mail yesterday. Officially valid for 2 more weeks. ?

Memberships too cheap. Shoppers behaviour reflective of GTA diverse culture, just like GTA driving and Timmy's drive thrus.

No, I would never shop anywhere with that many cars in the parking lot. I will gladly pay more to support local shops downtown, wherever that may be for you.

I think you missed the part where I said "don't want to call out the OP without knowing the full situation" but thanks for clearing that up.

If you had said that, sure, but here is what you did type:

All those parts bolded are incorrect, so basically your whole post. Thanks for coming out though.

It used to be a whole year but people abused it, now I believe it's down to 90 days. I can see it going to 30 days and then 14 like everyone else.

It's only 90 days with electronics, everything else you can return up to a year, sometimes more if you get the right person.

Retailers are tracking "returnaholics". Hopefully they'll stamp it out before they ruin a good thing for everyone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30382234

This is pie on the sky, they have no way to track people that return things unless they ask for your license and retain the data and no retailer is doing that, at least not yet, it may even be illegal. And they can't track you by credit or debit card number, it's illegal to store and use cardholder information for this purpose.

This is pie on the sky, they have no way to track people that return things unless they ask for your license and retain the data and no retailer is doing that, at least not yet, it may even be illegal. And they can't track you by credit or debit card number, it's illegal to store and use cardholder information for this purpose.

They can use membership information to do this. The return period on electronics used to be a year, then it dropped to 6 months and now it's 90 days. I've dealt with customers that were at 91 days and were told to pound salt.

It could be the credit card companies themselves, since they can be on the hook for 'exploitive' returns. I don't know how else to explain this; http://www.theretailequation.com/

I have had a membership for years and oddly enough one of the times I am most happy to be a member is around Christmas. I usually hit the store a week or two before Christmas and just walk around. Year after year I seem to stumble across something which is perfect for a family member. Sure enough I was able to find something for my wife, something for my Dad, and two things for my Mother.

We regularly drink the Kirkland coffee and there are several other Kirkland/Costco exclusive things that are worth it on their own to remain a member.

I am due for a Costco run but I don't like the prospect of going this close to Christmas. I will go at 930 Saturday morning. Their official hours are 10am-8pm but they usually open around 930. Get in, get out, before the zombie war inside.

Oh, free samples!!! I'll just park my giant cart right in front of the sample station then talk to my stupid wife for a few minutes while we try this sample!

^thats Christmas cheer right there folks! Another fun game is Walmart Xmas eve. Wander around and get in people's way.

I seem to get a membership every few years. MIL and sis have cards, so maybe once or twice a year go with them when they visit. I used to be able to pay (2 separate bills/one card) but they have cracked down. Just ask for a subtotal.

^thats Christmas cheer right there folks! Another fun game is Walmart Xmas eve. Wander around and get in people's way.

I seem to get a membership every few years. MIL and sis have cards, so maybe once or twice a year go with them when they visit. I used to be able to pay (2 separate bills/one card) but they have cracked down. Just ask for a subtotal.

Meh.

I like you, but I don't like people in general.

You get some funny looks when you drive straight into their cart with your cart after they left it in the way. Or the folks who come in entrance and get the little flyer, then they think that they should stop right there and read it. I wonder if these people would drive the same way they walk through Costco. Do they stop after merging on to the highway and pull out a map to figure out where they're going? If they're stopping at the bank to they park in the middle of the road?

Meh.

I like you, but I don't like people in general.

You get some funny looks when you drive straight into their cart with your cart after they left it in the way. Or the folks who come in entrance and get the little flyer, then they think that they should stop right there and read it. I wonder if these people would drive the same way they walk through Costco. Do they stop after merging on to the highway and pull out a map to figure out where they're going? If they're stopping at the bank to they park in the middle of the road?

Life is a highway.

Back
Top Bottom