Loading a Cruiser into a Van -- Is it easy to do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loading a Cruiser into a Van -- Is it easy to do?

BondJamesBond

Has anyone loaded a Suzuki C50 (800cc) or something similar into the back of a panel van? Any tips on how to do it right and what mistakes to avoid?

Use a wide ramp so you can walk up with it, and secure the ramp securely.
Don't try to do it alone. You steer and walk it up, while buddy pushes.

Lots of videos on YouTube about how not to do it. :)
Basically, don't try to ride/drive it up a narrow unsecured ramp.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned with whether any tie-down cleats exist in the van itself. Wouldn't want to be run-over by your own bike. U-Haul has a really inexpensive motorcycle trailer in the rental fleet.

Reduce the ramp angle as much as possible by backing the van into a spot that's lower than the bike. As you go up the ramp, watch for clearance to the underside of the bike, and be ready to back it up if it's about to scrape.

Oh yeah, and tie the ramp to the bumper so it can't slide off.

Last edited:
Watch you tube how NOT to do it. The ramp angle as fastar1 said is one point of concern, you will see many get bike hung up, and then fall over. I also agree WIDE ramp is best. if you have a hitch then rent bike trailer from u haul. when it loads smoothly and is secure you will be VERY glad you did.

Another option is go to any underground parking in most condos. Look for motorbikes. Hang around for a while. When you see, usually a white van, watch how they do it. Don`t go and ask them or you might get more than a black eye. Film it then you can watch the replay many times till you get the hang of it. Other options are, follow them and ask how much for the bike. Might get a super deal.

Another option is go to any underground parking in most condos. Look for motorbikes. Hang around for a while. When you see, usually a white van, watch how they do it. Don`t go and ask them or you might get more than a black eye. Film it then you can watch the replay many times till you get the hang of it. Other options are, follow them and ask how much for the bike. Might get a super deal.

He'll see how they load sport bikes which are at least 100-200 pounds less.

Its really easy to screw up loading alone, even if you're walking beside it. also be mindful of how you're tying it down. using the hooks to loop around the frame often come loose after a bump, prefer to run the tie down through the eye of the hook so it can not become unhooked.

IMG_0077.JPG

Seeing as how this is an older thread, this may help you for the next time around that you decide to transport a bike in a van, a "mini van that is".

I rented a grand caravan to go to Florida last month and took my bike with me, easy peasy.

The van tailgate opening was 39" my bike measured 40" and a bit, so I compressed the forks using a strap just to get it in as there is more clearance once in the van.

I used the rear seat anchors to tie it down. Rock solid all the way down and back, 4000 kms. Plus. In addition the van came with tinted glass so when I stopped overnight at a hotel, you couldn't tell there was a bike in it.

The vans suspension took all the work and not the bike nor if I had a trailer.

Last edited:
I use a van every time I move a bike.
Use long ramp...park bike higher than van iff possible (eg-on a curb etc).....you can also park vans front wheels on top of blocks of wood to reduce the ramp angle before laoding.

A guy I sold a VF500F to came to pick it up with his minivan. The crunchy sound of it bottoming out on the minivan's bumper will haunt me for the rest of my life

From the Youtube videos I would say if you are going to try to ride it up the ramp.
Ensure you are wearing a helmet.

Loaded my dead wing (fuel injection prob) in a Dodge Promaster tonite.Princess Auto tri-fold ramp and some help from a ratchet strap for the last few inches.Easy peezy.Help from a buddy was needed.
P4290003_zpscbnus5ag.jpg

Back
Top Bottom