parking lot rider training schools | GTAMotorcycle.com

parking lot rider training schools

basmn

Site Supporter
Are these schools worth the $300 + for the day. Any feed back would be appreciated as I need to find more instruction for a family member. would a track environment better or is the large parking lot sufficient.

Merry Christmas to all HO HO HO

Are these schools worth the $300 + for the day. Any feed back would be appreciated as I need to find more instruction for a family member. would a track environment better or is the large parking lot sufficient.

Merry Christmas to all HO HO HO
Depends on the course.

I thought the first one I took, which was an intro to riding (I think G1 exit course?), was good because you can drop their bikes and not your own or one of your friends'. The G2 exit course was less useful but I hear it's easier to do the course than do the test yourself.

Even the skid control school I did (car) was fun and useful but not worth the ~$400 cost.

Almost all driving/riding courses seem over priced to me.

IF they've never been on a motorcycle and need to learn/brush up on the basics, then Learning Curves or RTI are more than fine. They cram a lot of information in those 2 sessions and at least give you a decent base to start.

If they're comfortable with the controls on a motorcycle and have their own, there's the ARC Sharp rider training, that's a little more advanced for slow speed and other skills.

Lastly, if they have a weekend to spare and don't want to use their own bike, there's options like http://www.racer5.ca/#!intro-programs/cpoc that offer great introductory track sessions, that will give them leaps and bounds experience over 50% of the people on the street.

Have fun.

Schools are always useful, there is always something new to learn whether you are a pure novice or have ridden for years. the value for $ can become subjective. i understand that some new/returning riders are told they can not get insurance without having taken a course, not sure if this is limited to M1/M2 exit or any other types ofd advanced control courses.

Courses like the M1 and M2 exit all teach the same curriculum, so location and the school instructors become the differentiator.

You might be surprised. Even the Humber College "Pro Rider" course was generally run in their parking lot and taught a lot of good skills. Low speed manoeuvring is tough stuff.

Does anyone run a gymkhana course? A fleet of rental 125's or 250's and some cones and I'd be in.

Does anyone run a gymkhana course? A fleet of rental 125's or 250's and some cones and I'd be in.

Not yet....

While all of the basic rider training skills teach basic skills, they aren't all the same curriculum. There are privately owned courses and others run by the community colleges. Any that are approved to conduct the test are not-for-profit. The College programs are generally teaching the Canada Safety Council's "Gearing Up" program. CSC has been sponsoring a program since the 1970's, and the program continues to evolve with input from all of the colleges. Other programs have their own curriculum, which may have been developed in-house or licensed from somewhere else. RTI has been around for a long time now. In my experience, the common thread is the passion and dedication of the instructors. Some of the programs, like Humber, are very large programs with 60 to 80 students per weekend, other courses may have 10 to 20. For most people, attendance is generally a one-time thing, so it's important when someone recommends a program (or recommends against) a program, that you understand what they liked or didn't like. Every program tries to get it right for every student, but that's not always possible. Since any review is likely to be based on that single experience, you need to know if the positive/negative things are a part of the program, or an exception to the norm.
On this forum, there are a lot of opinions about the necessity of training. It's not cheap, but neither is the riding lifestyle, if you intend to have a decent bike and gear and proper insurance coverage. A weekend of training on a school bike and the resulting discount on your insurance will not seem like a lot of time or money spent after you start your own riding "career".

or this?
[video=youtube_share;FLkBOYz9Bq0]http://youtu.be/FLkBOYz9Bq0[/video]

but I would agree with emefef's post as best reflecting my experience, I would like to add though that the luck of the draw will determine who the individual instructor is which is the most important factor on the day.

Last edited:
You might be surprised. Even the Humber College "Pro Rider" course was generally run in their parking lot and taught a lot of good skills. Low speed manoeuvring is tough stuff.

The higher speed "Peanut" was great in the afternoon, as well. It's a large double parking lot.
They run some parts through the centre strip and both lots, so there's lots of room.

Not yet....

While all of the basic rider training skills teach basic skills, they aren't all the same curriculum. There are privately owned courses and others run by the community colleges. Any that are approved to conduct the test are not-for-profit. The College programs are generally teaching the Canada Safety Council's "Gearing Up" program. CSC has been sponsoring a program since the 1970's, and the program continues to evolve with input from all of the colleges. Other programs have their own curriculum, which may have been developed in-house or licensed from somewhere else. RTI has been around for a long time now. In my experience, the common thread is the passion and dedication of the instructors. Some of the programs, like Humber, are very large programs with 60 to 80 students per weekend, other courses may have 10 to 20. For most people, attendance is generally a one-time thing, so it's important when someone recommends a program (or recommends against) a program, that you understand what they liked or didn't like. Every program tries to get it right for every student, but that's not always possible. Since any review is likely to be based on that single experience, you need to know if the positive/negative things are a part of the program, or an exception to the norm.
On this forum, there are a lot of opinions about the necessity of training. It's not cheap, but neither is the riding lifestyle, if you intend to have a decent bike and gear and proper insurance coverage. A weekend of training on a school bike and the resulting discount on your insurance will not seem like a lot of time or money spent after you start your own riding "career".

Many of the same people who opted out of training, ( I think ironically ),
complain about the lack of skill of drivers on the road.

I did three different courses at Humber North. The first one had over 100 students, years ago. It's going to be smaller, now that they've opened another site. We were broken down into groups of 10 with two instructors and our own parking lot each. The entire class had the same bike, so the only difference between most bikes, was the clutch balance point. There were also modified bikes for larger/taller people, if you asked.

This course was designed to get one started at being able to ride on the road, so many of the manoeuvres were low speed, and to help one maintain control. There's a somewhat low speed test at the end to upgrade you license.

The m2 exit course actually takes you out on the street for part of it to practice for the test. There are specific areas like a big curve etc.

A track course would be aimed more at preparing one to ride on the track.
There would be no license upgrade, unless they're teaching the road course.
I don't think that any do this yet.

I met some people at the course who vehemently disagreed with their mark, but didn't hear any complaints about instructors. I imagine any who had any kind of social issues would be asked to work cones or demonstrate first, and not asked back later. Not that I've heard of that happening.

One of the issues that no one's mentioned so far, is the other students. Some of them are real hot shots who know everything about everything, and can't be taught. In a larger school (eg Humber North), there would be more opportunity to move around if there's a personality conflict.

The higher speed "Peanut" was great in the afternoon, as well. It's a large double parking lot.
They run some parts through the centre strip and both lots, so there's lots of room.

Until you've seen a ST1100 or Goldwing do circles tighter than you could walk a motorcycle, while it's going at less than a walking pace, you haven't seen anything :D

I did my M1 Exit @ Learning Curves after riding 500 kms on my own. Still learned a lot (low-speed maneuvers w/rear brake on, emergency braking, tight slalom, etc.) the kind of skills that would've taken a lot longer to acquire while riding on public roads. For instance, I crashed a Ninja 250 while emergency-braking in the wet. Got away with scuffs on my boots and various sore body parts. Now I know what too much front brake is. :D

Totally worth it IMO.

Last edited:

Plus one. Graceful low-speed manoeuvres still remain my nemesis. Parking lots are where the bike almost loses inertia, the layout and maintenance were carried out by chimps and what little precautions the average driver takes gets thrown out the window. That and you need fine throttle/braking control while leaning the other way.

The man that could pull off a gymkhana course with rentable Groms would do pretty well for himself. The real trick would be finding property near Toronto that wasn't slated for more ugly housing subdivisions. Damn, I just reminded myself how much I want a Grom.

any feed back on total control with Parks
Good course overall - split into 2 levels. Both days include theory in a classroom and practical on the lot. They were using photo and video feedback so you get to see what are really doing compared to what you think you are doing.

The skills days that they offer are also really good - offered to those who have completed either one or both levels - and these focus on practicing the drills with only a cursory level of theory due to having already taken either Level 1 or 2. I also hope to attend one of the skills days with Total Control this year to bring back the skills I learned and rid the bad habits picked up along the way.

I liked that I was doing the drills on my own bike. I found the price was very reasonable for the quality of instruction and having Lee teach was a nice bonus as he is a solid instructor.

I went to Deals Gap before and after taking the Total Control and found that I was two completely different riders in terms of smoothness and safety.

This year I will try out the Technical Rider course offered by RTI because I have heard great things about it as well.

Last edited:
Until you've seen a ST1100 or Goldwing do circles tighter than you could walk a motorcycle, while it's going at less than a walking pace, you haven't seen anything

I've seen Pedro from Humber Pro rider, do that on a fellow instructor's Harley.
Instructor had been complaining that he couldn't do super tight turns.
Pedro showed him how tight, and then how fast, they could go.
Instructor didn't seem 100% pleased with the floorboards taking a beating like that.

any feed back on total control with Parks

I never took the course, but it sounds good. I don't think it's for beginners, or gives a change in license.
It seems they're going to take over State instruction for California, though, so it'd be worth checking into.

I've seen Pedro from Humber Pro rider, do that on a fellow instructor's Harley.
Instructor had been complaining that he couldn't do super tight turns.
Pedro showed him how tight, and then how fast, they could go.
Instructor didn't seem 100% pleased with the floorboards taking a beating like that.

My favourite memory of the course is seeing an old guy on a 'Wing laughing his butt off at how tight he learned that he could turn, whine not caring that he'd just shaved off $1500.00 worth of floorboard shroud.

Did the M1 exit course (CSC gearing up) at Niagara College had Sean (Shawn, Shaun?) and Roger as instructors. Just a great team of instructors, riders of all ages and types. I've been riding dirt bikes for nearly 25 years and learned something on every challenge. Like Rob said, low speed control is difficult to master but very satisfying. M1 exit is to help new riders ride safely, experienced riders hone skills. They have an introductory course as well, gives a person a chance to try motorcycling prior to jumping in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom