Having machine work done in the US - delivering parts to USPS | GTAMotorcycle.com

Having machine work done in the US - delivering parts to USPS

theraymondguy

I'm looking to save some money by driving some bike parts across the border to have some machine work done (XL 350, - new sleeve, +1 valves in the head, case is getting bored and new stroker crank). I'll be shipping them to the machine shop (Michigan) once across. Sure I'll have to pay duty on the return trip, but I'm good with that.

How do I declare the parts at the US Border? The parts are really only good as cores at this point, the piston was seized in the bore, conrod bearing is seized, valve seats are done and a couple broken fins.

I live right next to the border and cross often, so 'risking it' is off the table.

I could yes, but I know the gent in Michigan well. Dealing with local shops is what led me to his business in the first place.

I know people that have crossed with "to be repaired" and "has been repaired" parts. No idea on the values declared for customs. Technically the "to be repaired" parts are worth close to nothing, so maybe you are supposed to pay duty as if you bought a new cylinder/head? Just guessing here. I would tell them what's happening at the border straight up and see how much they want me to pay.

Last edited:
I can't see why the US would care as their economy gets the profits. Just have a written agreement show them. Coming back Canadian customs would likely want to charge HST on the improvements.

I can't see why the US would care as their economy gets the profits. Just have a written agreement show them. Coming back Canadian customs would likely want to charge HST on the improvements.

I called the border, they suggested bringing whatever documentation I can - bill of sale for the engine itself. I will have to pay duty upon return, but I'll have a receipt for that as well.

Concerning the engine that you plan to take to Michigan and bring back to Ontario, repaired.
I have conveyed equipment into USA and back, and I was aided by a blue card that I obtained before crossing the border. On this card was recorded the nature of the equipment and (IMPORTANT) its serial number. Then when I brought the equipment back into Canada, I matched the card to the apparatus, and was allowed free entry, because this was stuff legally in Canada that had visited the USA.

You do not need to tell Canada about the pistons and sleeves and such, because they are leaving Canada.

I don't think the folks at the Port Huron end of the Blue Water Bridge will have a problem when you explain that your gear is visiting Michigan to be repaired, and support your argument by showing the blue card and explaining that you will use the blue card to guide your stuff back into Canada.

Oh ... you plan to use the Ambassador Bridge instead of the Blue Water. Well then, you will need to watch the entire series of Planet of the Apes movies, to learn how to converse with the staff at each end of that bridge, and you should bring them some bananas to put them into a good mood ... LOTS of bananas, because there are plenty of apes there.

I have a permanent and chronic case of Ambassador-phobia, which I treat via a detour.
This is a very sanity-saving treatment, and has helped me retain a few strands of hair (see picture).

Good luck!
Salos Dafee

Back
Top Bottom