Tow Truck Operators descend on Queens Park | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tow Truck Operators descend on Queens Park

The CAA guys are the same as the other guys because they are the other guys, they just got a CAA endorsement to increase business. But I would say there is a difference between the Joe that has a garage in Stumpjump and a tow truck and the guy you meet on the QEW waiting for a crash. The business model is different. The autobody shop I worked at in high school had a tow truck as a sideline that I drove, we didn't chase accidents but even being fair nobody liked paying to get out of a ditch or off the 401 when the car crapped out, its like calling an afterhours plumber, nobody wants the bill. For the guys working 70 hrs a week sitting waiting for a stall or wreck so they can cash out, you picked a job that is commission based and requires stupid and unlucky people to fulfill your customer base. No sympathy there sadly.

Sure, except when all the driver wants to do is funnel you to the shop he gets a kickba..., sorry, a 'finders fee' from.

You always have the option of going to a shop other than one that is 'authorized' by your insurer. They just won't warranty the work. Given the way that my Dodge Dakota rusted out a few years after having aftermarket body parts put into at an 'authorized shop' I don't really think that warranty counts for a heap of goose dung.

Yeah, that's a different scam. I made the mistake of going to an "authorized" shop once, after getting an estimate from a non authorized one.

The Authorized shop only replaced damaged cosmetic panels, messed up on some of the internals, and took about a month to complete the work. I wasn't pleased, and I don't think the insurance co was either, as I had a rental for that month. Gist was the original shop was going to replace the bumper i.e. The steel piece underneath the plastic cowling as it was bent in the accident, and then repair the cowling. Authorized shop simply replaced the cowling, which took three weeks to source, and hid the problem.

I still can't stop laughing at the "We are out here saving lives" in the video.

MediaHandler.ashx

I don't know if this is relevant to the discussion but I needed pulling out of the mud yesterday. CAA tow truck backed in close as he dared then went to release the cable. Except it wouldn't release. So I had to pull on the hook like a mother while he worked the "controls" lol. Then he goes to throw the big honkin hook under my truck like a blind three pointer. I went over "you sure you got that? Oh ya! I had to reset the hook proper. Like I said, I don't know if this is relevant or not. The other not relevant aspect to this post is why doesn't the local roads dept. shut the road when the mud bog is hundreds of feet long and 3-4 feet deep?

Never had respect for the industry, I do have a friend who tows and makes an honest living, his truck is on the road 24/7 with 2 drivers , i don't trust anyone who tows with his girlfriend or biker buddy.

Who was that dude on here that rapped off about driving a towtruck chasing accidents on the hwy??

Almost got taken out by a tow truck this evening. On Dundas E at George where there is a curve. Idiot cut the curve and was almost half into my lane. Good thing there wasn't a car in the right lane beside me. I hate idiots that can't stay in their own lane. Can't wait till they narrow the lanes and more idiots drift lanes....

These guys can go **** their hat. I deal with them daily, and have a deep hatred for them.

The stories i could tell you .. man oh man.

And yes Peel cops are encrypted, but they tune into Fire now for their calls. When we go encrypted they are screwed ..
On top of that most departments are using a "approved" list for their tows, so if these guys show up at an accident and they arent on the list they get kicked off the scene.

On top of that most departments are using a "approved" list for their tows, so if these guys show up at an accident and they arent on the list they get kicked off the scene.

So, who do they have to grease to get on that list? :D

These guys can go **** their hat. I deal with them daily, and have a deep hatred for them.

The stories i could tell you .. man oh man.

And yes Peel cops are encrypted, but they tune into Fire now for their calls. When we go encrypted they are screwed ..
I believe all three fire departments in Peel (Mississauga Fire is for sure) are on the same radio system as Peel Police now and are digital and encrypted.

Last edited:
My buddy did tow truck driving for 6 months while in between jobs. He hated it. He didn't have the "jab the knife and twist it" mentality and scumines needed to be a tow truck driver. He barely made any money and spent 16hrs a day driving around.

CAA I never have problems with. When I call I tell them it's going home so there is no expectation of kickbacks from shops. They do a good job, get me home and I always tip em.

Who was that dude on here that rapped off about driving a towtruck chasing accidents on the hwy??

LivinWithNoFear??

Its a list that the city takes care of. They have to meet all these requirements to be on it, and get checked every year by bylaw.

And yes the radio system has gone digitial in peel, but not fully encrypted yet.

And you didn't call the cops or anything?

If he got the plate sure after they left, sure.

If you mean calling the cops while the tow and crew are still around, you must not like your knee caps.

Lets not confuse towing list/rotation list with tow truck being licensed by a municipality. Most municipalities in GTA regulate tow trucks and their accident scene fees only (for vehicles with GVWR of 6,000 lbs or less). It has been like that for years, average annual cost of a licence for each tow truck and driver(two separate licences, no more credit for owner/operators) is approx.$1,000 per year, per municipality. If one is doing business in five cities, he will have to spend approx.$5,000 annually. For the most part, all cities that regulate tow trucks have done a very poor job and all they care about is revenue coming in from licence renewals. They don't care that we have hundreds of unlicensed tow trucks operating in GTA or just too many wreckers in general.
Not that long ago, Port Credit and Downsview OPP had a towing list. To be on that list, one had to be licensed in that area, have a pound, etc. SGT. Dennis Mahoney-Bruer was in charge of the one in Port Credit.....
When OPP needs a wrecker service in GTA, officer on scene calls for first available 10-51(wrecker) to their location. Second he says that on his radio, you have several tow trucks racing from all directions to be the first on scene! In my opinion, OPP endorses chasing on our highways instead of trying to stop it.
Other police forces have one towing company/per division under contract with them. Typically, they will ask for a contract tow when they have a stolen vehicle, HTA suspension, criminal activity, driver taken to hospital, etc.
All of the contract towing companies are either owned by a body shop or have a "relationship" with one or more!
Do you see a problem there? I do.

Back
Top Bottom