Tow Truck Operators descend on Queens Park | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tow Truck Operators descend on Queens Park

Dresden

Having worked in the collision industry here in Ontario, it's about time the towing industry gets some regulation. Could care a less about the amount of hours worked but all the other issues need to be addressed, pricing, kick backs from collision shops, storage fees and more. Far too many crooked tow truck operators.

I have no sympathy for them.

I have never had a positive expierence with them and that says a lot since I always try to see the good in people. They are a necessary evil on our roadways. As an employee that works for a small family automotive business I understand how the towing business works and the costs behind it.

Vultures get a bad rap because of the nature of their food source, the sick and the dead. However they are a necessary part of nature to prevent the spread of disease.

Tow trucks are similar in that most of them could be eliminated if people were better drivers and took better care of their vehicles.

I'm not in the business but have to ask how one regulates a business based on random events like crashes and breakdowns.

Vultures get a bad rap because of the nature of their food source, the sick and the dead. However they are a necessary part of nature to prevent the spread of disease.

Tow trucks are similar in that most of them could be eliminated if people were better drivers and took better care of their vehicles.

I'm not in the business but have to ask how one regulates a business based on random events like crashes and breakdowns.

Its not the job that is the problem its the scams behind what they do to make tons of money off people who are in a bad situation, because they just had an accident are a little confused and tow truck guy is saying do this, this and that. Like he is your buddy trying to help you. Mean while he is telling you what to do so he gets huge kickbacks on what hes telling you to do. Its deeper then just long hours and high storage prices

Storage Fees would be one example that comes to mind - They have your car, pay or else, lack of regulation opens up to all kinds of shenanigans.

No sympathy

Where's that tow truck driver that was on the site and looking for a fight with someone?

I'd like to hear his take on this issue.

As for my view...vultures and zero sympathy for them. Crying that because of this new regulation that could come up THOUSANDS of people will be put in jeopardy (as per video on CityTV today) because they can only work 16hrs a day...

We can thank unregulated body repair industry for having "Chase trucks" on our roads! As long as there are body shop owners ( and mechanics) offering commissions and kickbacks for extra business, nothing will change.
Market is saturated with too many repair shops and tow trucks. Cities licensing departments don't care( body shops and tow trucks are a very good source of very much needed revenue.....) to limit number of licences they issue and renew every year, so everyone is fighting for survival at your expense!
And keep in mind, that your Insurance company receives (or demands...)kickbacks from body shops too( their "preferred " repair facilities...). Don't you ever wonder why your insurance company wants your car at their "preferred " shop, and not at your favorite shop or a dealer? Unfortunately, your ignorance is their gain.

I saw a ton of a tow trucks driving on the DVP this afternoon and thought "the vultures smell blood"

A lawyer friend told me once that these guys rush like crazy to accidents not to tow and collect that $300 tow, but to sell the people in accidents contacts for lawyers or doctors. It's big money and they get thousands of dollars in referrals. No sympathy for vultures or sharks.

"I'm not in the business but have to ask how one regulates a business based on random events like crashes and breakdowns."

The point I was trying to make is that most people have a regular payday and budget accordingly. Tow trucks, cabs and vultures sit and wait for something to die and then pig out. This because they don't know when their next meal is coming.

The reality is that one shouldn't go into towing unless one has enough of a financial buffer to carry one over the dry spells.

Selling deals and hidden commissions should be banned. I thought hidden commissions were already.

How about some blame going to the drivers? Get to know reputable garages and you don't have to rely on the tow's sales pitch. Most are only confused because they never envisioned a breakdown or crash. Just like they never envisioned a panic stop, slippery road or sudden obstacle.

Have a plan B.

We can thank unregulated body repair industry for having "Chase trucks" on our roads! As long as there are body shop owners ( and mechanics) offering commissions and kickbacks for extra business, nothing will change.
Market is saturated with too many repair shops and tow trucks. Cities licensing departments don't care( body shops and tow trucks are a very good source of very much needed revenue.....) to limit number of licences they issue and renew every year, so everyone is fighting for survival at your expense!
And keep in mind, that your Insurance company receives (or demands...)kickbacks from body shops too( their "preferred " repair facilities...). Don't you ever wonder why your insurance company wants your car at their "preferred " shop, and not at your favorite shop or a dealer? Unfortunately, your ignorance is their gain.

Years back a friend got in a SVA and had to be towed. The tow truck driver took him to his "preferred shop." Ultimately my friend had to walk away from his car due to all of the storage fees and work performed beyond the original estimate, that the shop claimed he had signed off on.

Listening to talk radio yesterday during this protest didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. One driver, in particular, mentioned 'your right' to take your vehicle to a shop other than the one where your insurance company has directed you to take it. He mentioned 'not having to pay your deductible.' I know that it's a common practice, but fraud?

That's a long document. The parts that I did read cover controlling that towing companies and storage companies have to inform people of the charge for services so that consumer can decide, and that the actual cost of services cannot exceed the estimate of services by more than 10%. Also why shouldn't tow operators have a CVOR?

Not understanding what the complaints are about. Individuals in videos are focusing on maximum work hours; seems like a smokescreen.

Re Bill 15, it looks like they are mucking around with the definitions of commercial motor vehicles and the licensing thereof. I don't know what the upshot is. It also appears that they are changing the dispute resolution process with regards to accident benefits as a result of a motor vehicle accident and restricting the ability to sue. Again, I don't know what the upshot is. All this wouldn't seem to have anything to do with the tow truck operators. To me, the whole section on tow truck operators can be summarized by "stop ripping people off".

Have your car towed home. Always. Then have it towed to whatever Shop you want the next day. Insurance (State farm at least) will pay for both tows.

Have your car towed home. Always. Then have it towed to whatever Shop you want the next day. Insurance (State farm at least) will pay for both tows.

The one time I used insurance (and a tow truck), they only paid for one tow. They didn't care which one so I picked the most expensive one.

I got my wife's car towed to the Honda dealer. I just had to call Honda in the morning and they handed it over to their repair show. Even the tow truck driver kept persisting on bringing it to his buddy's shop. If I'm going through insurance I'm bringing it to a reputable shop. I don't trust a word those guys say.

Awww poor babies.. Lemme shed a few tears of pain and sorrow for them :D I had some interesting runins with them...

1) Got a flat, pulled over, called CAA. A tow truck pulls over, tells me he wants to hook up my car. I tell him no, already called CAA. He tells me he is on contract with them, so he hooks up my car, I get into the tinted windowed vehicle where he had a couple of pretty big pasengers as well (crew cab). They took my car to my neighbourhood and demanded $300 for a 3km tow. Didn't really have the option to refuse without having to deal with those passengers.

2) Suffered a breakdown about 30km north of Barrie, so I called CAA. They sent a local contractor to drive me to Toronto as it was already like 2am.. Buddyboy wasted an extra hour of my time picking up his crackhead girlfriend. He wasn't a CAA regular, but out in the sticks they call whoever's available and this was a shady character.

It's sad that those vultures are protesting because the government is forcing fair, standard customer service practices on them.

Awww poor babies.. Lemme shed a few tears of pain and sorrow for them :D I had some interesting runins with them...

1) Got a flat, pulled over, called CAA. A tow truck pulls over, tells me he wants to hook up my car. I tell him no, already called CAA. He tells me he is on contract with them, so he hooks up my car, I get into the tinted windowed vehicle where he had a couple of pretty big pasengers as well (crew cab). They took my car to my neighbourhood and demanded $300 for a 3km tow. Didn't really have the option to refuse without having to deal with those passengers.

And you didn't call the cops or anything?

Back
Top Bottom