Eyeglass lenses | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Eyeglass lenses

Get a hold of Lone Ronin Kyle. IIRC his family owns one or more stores in Mississauga.

I think I will always go to an optometrist even though online is getting better and cheaper because I want to know how I'm going to look. I have a good optician with a great selection and I will only get recommendations from a girl or better a gay guy. A dude does not care how a dude looks. Girls no whether or not you look good.
I'm not sure there would be a lot of difference between Nikon, hoya or leica, all are pretty well known manufacturers of quality goods.

FWIW my daughter worked for a very good optometrist and then got a job at one of the mall type eyeglass places. She quit after two weeks because it was such a con job. Smoke and mirrors.

I am done with Hakim. Yes they have better prices and sometimes two for one sales but their coatings are crap. Every single pair of glasses I have had from there have started to peel. I Have been doing Lenscrafter mainly because I like the one hour service. They are much pricier than anywhere else but the lens coatings have never peeled on me. I just ordered my first pair from Clearly Contacts. $68 all in with two coatings (UV and anti glare). I priced the frames elsewhere and they were anywhere from $135 US to $190 (just for the frames). I figured for $70 I will take the chance.

Edit to add that I love Lenscrafter's customer service. I cant count the times I have walked in there needing something fixed on my glasses (missing screw, bent frame, missing nose pad) and they have fixed them for free, even when the glasses clearly weren't purchased there (Hakim on the frame).

Last edited:
What's Costco like?

I picked up my new glasses from Costco about 4 weeks ago. Costco is fantastic :rolleyes: if you can live with the following:

* It takes a while to get the glasses in the store
* Limited selection of frames
* There is no choice of lenses. You order one single lense, no option, no extras - for example, I would consider paying more for the Nikon's because they make a thinner lense (that helps my huge prescription), but you cannot get it at Costco
* There is NO service... the girls working there have absolutely no training to fit your glasses or address any concerns

Glasses are OK... if you can find frames that you like, and you are not in a hurry, it can work out well.

I am done with Hakim. Yes they have better prices and sometimes two for one sales but their coatings are crap. Every single pair of glasses I have had from there have started to peel. I Have been doing Lenscrafter mainly because I like the one hour service. They are much pricier than anywhere else but the lens coatings have never peeled on me. I just ordered my first pair from Clearly Contacts. $68 all in with two coatings (UV and anti glare). I priced the frames elsewhere and they were anywhere from $135 US to $190 (just for the frames). I figured for $70 I will take the chance.

Avoid Hakim like the plague. I stopped doing business there many years ago, and I don't understand why Canadians keep supporting them.

Edit to add that I love Lenscrafter's customer service. I cant count the times I have walked in there needing something fixed on my glasses (missing screw, bent frame, missing nose pad) and they have fixed them for free, even when the glasses clearly weren't purchased there (Hakim on the frame).

I picked up my new glasses from Costco about 4 weeks ago. Costco is fantastic :rolleyes: if you can live with the following:

* It takes a while to get the glasses in the store
* Limited selection of frames
* There is no choice of lenses. You order one single lense, no option, no extras - for example, I would consider paying more for the Nikon's because they make a thinner lense (that helps my huge prescription), but you cannot get it at Costco
* There is NO service... the girls working there have absolutely no training to fit your glasses or address any concerns

Glasses are OK... if you can find frames that you like, and you are not in a hurry, it can work out well.

Avoid Hakim like the plague. I stopped doing business there many years ago, and I don't understand why Canadians keep supporting them.

I found the guy in the Hakim under Royal Bank Plaza to be excellent.
The problem is that no two places are equal.
Before that I went to a place on Bloor near Royal York, the woman there would take forever and a day to fit you, but it was well worth it. I don't know if she's still there though, she might have been let go for being slow. The Armani frames lasted me 15+ years! I might still have them around.

I tried one of those three for one discount places once, but the glasses seemed off. LensCrafters was them same thing, a long time ago.

Now I'm out in Suburbia, and the whole family goes to the local place, I'm not even sure of the name.
We're usually in there once a month for a free adjustment. (Kids keep walloping each other in the face).

As a kid we used King Optical, which guaranteed glasses, even if you lost them. My brother might have bankrupted them though. He lost six pair in two years.

Best to find a place you like, and stick with it to keep them in business.

Last edited:
I have been advised against them by multiple optometrists.

did they offer a reason why? I tried contacts in high school (many years ago...:)) , hard not soft, just couldn't get them to work out. I was told that with hard you need to give time to develop a callous on your eyelid. I never got there, went back to glasses.

not sure if I just had incompatible eyes? maybe I might try soft disposable contacts? I could have better results. I have also considered laser, read som many good stories, but.... that's a big chunk of change that isnt guaranteed. mine and my wife's insurance would cover a good portion of the costs, but I wiould till be a few '000 out of pocket...

did they offer a reason why? I tried contacts in high school (many years ago...:)) , hard not soft, just couldn't get them to work out. I was told that with hard you need to give time to develop a callous on your eyelid. I never got there, went back to glasses.

not sure if I just had incompatible eyes? maybe I might try soft disposable contacts? I could have better results. I have also considered laser, read som many good stories, but.... that's a big chunk of change that isnt guaranteed. mine and my wife's insurance would cover a good portion of the costs, but I wiould till be a few '000 out of pocket...
I've been wearing corrective lenses since 1995. I used to make lenses from a block at LensCrafters.

Soft contacts are more breathable. I wear the weekly ones. Depends alot on the type of contacts. Cheap contacts irritate your eyes. I've done alot with my contacts, even diving with my eyes open, not advisable but haven't lost one. Lots of swimming & jumping off docks in a marine environment. There is so much more peripheral vision with contacts. Plus if you're physically active you don't have to fix your glasses every minute

I was told no contacts by my Ophthalmologist, but when I told her who the fitter was she relented. Things were $400 for the pair.
That was before the disposable kind. The left was a toric lens as I have a double astigmatism in that eye. It was very thick.
They still weren't as good as glasses for vision. My wife tried the hard ones as she has Nystagmus, but it was too hard on her eyes.

Agree with all the points about Costco, but the glasses usually come in within 2 weeks, and I thought they were Nikon? Maybe they've switched. I have a 1.67 lens, which I believe is one of the thinnest available, and they have Crizal coating. I also opted for the Transitions, but I also have easy-clip frames. The transitions are just as a back up.
And the price is right. The fitting however....
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I was told I COULD get them but they wouldn't be as clear a glasses and I would run the risk of having them move around causing blurry vision since I have astigmatism. I don't really mind glasses that much so I never pursued it further.

As far as Hakim I checked them out but was not impressed. Their frames cost substantially more than the name brand ones I ended up getting and seemed much lower quality. Most of their frames seemed like cheap plastic that would not last. Their price was OK but only because it was 60% off.

I got my last pair from Lenscrafters and they have lasted me 6-7yrs but the coating is starting to come off. The frames took a beating and never broke. The service at that time was good but I moved and was not impressed with my new local one. They were very uninformative and seemed to just want to make a sale.

I checked out Costco as well but didn't see anything I liked. My mom recently went there for my grandmothers glasses and they couldn't even cut the lens because of her prescription so they went elsewhere.

Last edited:
I tried clearly contacts and costco for mine. Ended up sending the clearly contacts glasses back as the frame wasn't quite right but there was nothing wrong with the lenses at all. I'll probably order a back up pair of glasses from them in the future. Costco were brilliant, I got Oakley frames and transition lenses and I'm very happy. The frames were a bit more than I wanted to pay but they look better than the Nike ones I got from clearly contacts. My glasses came in 3 days after ordering them from Costco and the woman there spent some time fitting them properly for me. In terms of lens prices Costco was about the same or actually less than clearly contacts.

Back
Top Bottom