Question: moving from Toronto to Montreal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question: moving from Toronto to Montreal

ilmarin77

I am a new motorcyclist (got my M2 license in September, got a bike, started riding) now the bike is in storage. Now I have to move to Montreal in January (family matters).
Question - what's the best way to do it? I.e should I change my Ontario license to Quebec now or wait?
What about the insurance - bike is currently stored, but I suppose the rate will change if I say that I am now residing in QC.

I am a new motorcyclist (got my M2 license in September, got a bike, started riding) now the bike is in storage. Now I have to move to Montreal in January (family matters).
Question - what's the best way to do it? I.e should I change my Ontario license to Quebec now or wait?
What about the insurance - bike is currently stored, but I suppose the rate will change if I say that I am now residing in QC.

For licensing
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicle_registration/registration_cost/moto.php
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicle_registration/high_risk_motorcycle.php
http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/documents/lr/txtspc/A-25R3.1_EN_00011831.pdf

For insurance
its gonna be A LOT cheaper than ontario. The licensing might be a big hit if you're in the "wrong" category though

I've got Suzuki GZ250, so licensing will be $355 according to SAAQ. And the driving license fees will be $159. But should I do it right away when I move or wait till spring?

I've got Suzuki GZ250, so licensing will be $355 according to SAAQ. And the driving license fees will be $159. But should I do it right away when I move or wait till spring?

"Moving? Notify the <acronym xml:lang="fr" title="Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec" style="border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 51, 153); border-bottom-width: thin; cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15.3999996185303px;">SAAQ</acronym> of your new address as soon as you know it. You are required to advise us within 30 days after your new address takes effect; failure to do so leaves you liable to a fine ranging from $95 to $154."

"Moving? Notify the <acronym xml:lang="fr" title="Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec" style="border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 51, 153); border-bottom-width: thin; cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 15.3999996185303px;">SAAQ</acronym> of your new address as soon as you know it. You are required to advise us within 30 days after your new address takes effect; failure to do so leaves you liable to a fine ranging from $95 to $154."
I think that presumes you move the bike to the new address on that day. Basically you have to insure the bike from the address where it is primarily stored. If you leave it in ON (at family's for example) you can wait until you start riding in QC before insuring it there.

Called SAAQ today, and they told me that I will get a full motorcycle license (class 6A).
Also, I have 6 months since I settle in QC to change my driving license and 3 months to change motorcycle registration. It's possible to register motorcycle in QC with Ontario license.

Called SAAQ today, and they told me that I will get a full motorcycle license (class 6A).
Also, I have 6 months since I settle in QC to change my driving license and 3 months to change motorcycle registration. It's possible to register motorcycle in QC with Ontario license.
Nice, thats good to know.

Back
Top Bottom