Fantasy licensing thread | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fantasy licensing thread

What should be looked at from the get go?

• Total voters
i'd like to see a seperate license for highways.

like the g2 never expires, but you can get a full G only if you want to.

then make the full G harder to get. which would allow the highway speeds to be increased.

All the traffic is going in the same way, generally within a fairly close margin of the same speed. No cross traffic. No lights. Traffic coming on merges in the same direction instead of making a turn onto the road. Highways are arguably the easiest driving that anyone will do and the barriers are psychological.

The technology is available now where you could pull up to a testing centre, and they fit your car with a device that has accelerometers,gps,and cameras (four directions, plus one watching the driver).Then tell you to drive to a different testing centre. Once you show up, they take your device, download your data,and send you home.

Your data gets reviewed by computer software (eye tracking software,acceleration limits, rules of the road vs. actual GPS data), and then three days later, or however long it takes, you go back to the testing centre, and you find out if you pass or fail. Have an atm like kiosk, which reads your license and prints a checkmark or an X on your license (like a subways stamp card). One x demands an immediate retest. Two x's demands an immediate retest with a human and if you fail that, you have to start over (rewrite g1).

Have this "black box" test every year.

I also like the idea of a simulator. Once every five years maybe?

With no person involved there's no way of knowing who actually took the test.

Some laws need to change.

The "... if it affects another vehicle ..." wording should come out of the HTA section on the use of turn signals (because it makes that section almost unenforceable). Signals should ALWAYS be used for EVERY turn or lane change. Then equip the cop cars with video cameras and get them to drive around. I see a failure-to-signal every 5 minutes. Dead simple to collect evidence and if the law didn't have that exception, it's a slam dunk conviction. Remember, the folks driving around with the cell phone plastered to their ear usually aren't using their signals. To quote Rob Mac... "Do you want fries with that?"

More enforcement of right of way ... not stopping at stop signs ... not stopping at traffic signals when making a right turn on red. These are violations that I see multiple times every day. Dead simple conviction if there is video evidence.

Anyone at-fault in a collision that involves injury above some threshold should go back one step in the graduated-licensing system so that they are forced to re-read the rules and re-do part of the testing. Anyone at-fault in a fatality collision should lose their license and not just be able to buy it back after a suspension period. They should lose their license and go back to square one as if they were a new driver. Again ... to force them to re-read the rules and re-do the tests. YES, I recognize Rob's point that people can play up their testing and not pay attention to it later. But I am convinced that a significant number of people out there don't even know the rules.

Driving schools need better oversight. I'm not sure that more government inspections are the answer, but it might be part of it.

Requiring people to take the test somewhere near where they live is not a terrible idea.

Government oversight of Driving Schools is ineffective as the inspectors don't perform surprise inspections but rather give a two week warning.

As for dealing with collisions (the idea that you have) there is a program to deal with that already, but the Ministry of Transportation is not enforcing it.

Some people don't take their driving test near their home because they aren't capable of driving in a complex environment; they travel long distances to Driver Examination Centers that are located where driving is very simple. The Auditor General of Ontario has mentioned this issue to MTO several times in their reports to no effect.

People keep saying that drivers need to take responsibility for their driving rather than the government getting involved. Few people actually admit that they make mistakes when they drive. If you can't admit to yourself that you are making a mistake how are you supposed to change. Since people refuse to change only government can force them to change.

^ That's absurd. Inspections for driving schools ought to have someone anonymously sign up in exactly the same manner that the general public does, and see what's going on for themselves.

If the government is not enforcing their own policies ... I'm shocked. Devastated. :p

Ministry of Transportation states again and again that in Ontario we have some of the safest roads in North America. Even the Auditor General of Ontario stated that you can't simply use 1 criteria (death rate) as a measurement of what constitutes safety (in 2007 audit). MTO is still presenting the same propaganda today.

MTO only wants to appear to be doing something, not actually working toward making driving safer. Take for example senior drivers: prior to 1996 any driver in Ontario having reached the age of 80 would have to take part in Licence Renewal Program for Drivers Age 80 and Above. this program was made up of an eye test, knowledge test, 90 minute information seminar (information regarding general driving) and a driving test. In 1996 the driving test component was removed. Starting April 21, 2014 they don't have to complete a knowledge test and the information seminar is as MTO states "an improved in-class group education session" which is now 45 minutes instead of 90 minutes.

Ministry of Transportation states again and again that in Ontario we have some of the safest roads in North America. Even the Auditor General of Ontario stated that you can't simply use 1 criteria (death rate) as a measurement of what constitutes safety (in 2007 audit). MTO is still presenting the same propaganda today.

Back in 1996 the Federal Government launched a programme to improve road safety across the country. It was called "Road Safety Vision 2001" and it started a sort of arms race among the Provinces as to who could make the most draconian laws. The second phase began in 2010 and the third starts next year. Guess what the primary measure of safety was.

One other addition, the earlier you start something, the better at it you'll be. If you look at any professional, in any sport, none started in their late teens, they all started as kids. Why aren't schools more involved in teaching road awareness/safety/driving at earlier ages? Not long ago I decided to see if I could find stats on karting related deaths, there wasn't much to find, except for one paper which conveyed something like 145 deaths among kids ages 3-15 where karts were the cause of death from the years 1985-1996 (in the US). It pointed out the specifics of about 1/3 of the deaths and in only 1 case, was the death on track, with proper attire. Every other case was basically a kid in kart, unsupervised driving on dirt roads with no helmets and getting into accidents with trees/cars/fences/etc. 1 death in 11 years in a country as populous as the States is pretty impressive. Especially when compared to the fact that over 2600 16-19 year olds die every year in the US as a result of accidents. Most Canadians drive on a daily basis, and use money on a daily basis, yet are not taught at all how to do either with any level of proficiency.

^ I learned to drive a tractor as soon as my legs were long enough to reach the pedals. Dad needed someone to do the lawn for him (10 acre property)

I was on a MF65 at 13, harrow, cultivator but no plowing or seeding (75 acre)

Dad got the 65 so's mum could spend more time in the kitchen (3 bottom plow vs 1, or was it 2). ;)

Back
Top Bottom