Hip protection for low-sides | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hip protection for low-sides

mindactivated

A couple of months ago I was in a low-side due to an emergency braking situation (not-at fault accident, I'm perfectly fine, still going through insurance). I was wearing: Full face helmet, joe rocket leather jacket, jeans, hiking boots, leather gloves.

I went down on my right and the joe rocket elbow guard worked wonderfully to protect my arm, helmet did its job, and the slide was slow enough that my jeans were fine too, but I had a bruised right hip for a while.

Are there any pants that offer a bit of hip impact protection? I seem to recall that my textile pants don't have any of that, mostly for knees and for sliding. Do you have any favourites when it comes to leg protection? Thanks!

Barely. The padded protection does not do much to protect you.

My pants have a Knox insert in the hip. One other thing. It's best to not carry anything in your hip pockets when riding. I ended up with a nice bruise in the shape of a hex key on my hip after falling off. I suppose if you had the space, you could purchase a football girdle.

My revit textile (don't recall the name, their max airflow summer ones) have inserts for hips.

My rhok jeans also have an insert for hips.

I use Sliders Denim Pants and Sliders Cargo Pants. These are kevlar reinforced in the knees, hips and buttocks. Underneath the pants I wear Icon Stryker shorts which have thin padding for buttocks and gel inserts for hip joint protection.

Was drunk. Standing, fell
With my Dainese padded riding pants on. (Of course was not riding).

Nothing in my pocket. Very bad bruise . Padding will help, but you will still take a good hit.

Padding will help, but you will still take a good hit.

Tell that to this guy.
image.raw

Lol.

It was a Halloween party. :) fell over onto the floor and even with the hip padding, I bruised badly. Hurt like hell for like 1 week. Boney hips! Lol

I've lowsided twice wearing my Knox shorts, I escaped both times without a bruise or even being sore at all.

The best piece of kit I've come across to prevent/minimize impact to your hip/tailbone are Knox cross shorts.
The standard kidney shaped foam inserts that you find in pants and race suits can only provide minimal protection. If they were any thicker they would hinder mobility.

Where the cross shorts excel is that they are a thicker more dense foam which is hinged at your hip and attached to a spandex undergarmet. because its a completely different design to standard hip protection they don't have mobility issues and offer much better protection.

We have them at Speedworx Superbike service ( www.speedworxsuperbike.com ) we should have them at the January bike show this year too.

Last edited:
You can also get hip protectors for Draggin jeans that go into the mesh pockets.. Saved my bacon once

My Lean Angle Jeans came with Forcefield Body Armour, for the knees and hips (they sit inside mesh pockets). Can't say how they work since I have yet to fall with them but they seem well designed to do something.

Most pants that are actually designed for riding have hip armor. Jeans are a terrible protective pant. Heck, I've had pairs rip when I tripped and fell below walking speed.

I have an alpinestars hard shorts which is pretty good.

I also have a Nike combat short but that's more for snowboarding because it's more for impact

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Fawaz, I'll definitely check those out at the bike show. I also remember checking out the elbow inserts at Speedwerx for your suits & jackets, and they were more wrap-around than normal, which is great. I was just imagining how effed my elbow would be if I fell just with a regular jacket. Elbow would have been shattered for sure.

After my first lowside I was bruised black and blue from my hip to just above my knee. I bought a pair of Dianese armored shorts that I have worn under my leathers faithfully every track day. A couple of years later I had another lowside going a little faster than the first one. Not a hint of a bruise. The Dianese shorts are mesh with hard armor over thin padding, like football pads, on the hip joints and outer thighs (the usual impact area) and soft padding on the rest of the areas. The mesh helps keep cool. The padding protects the top of my hips, tailbone and butt and the hard armor protects the hip joint and outside of my thighs. They aren't bulky so they should fit under regular jeans (depending on how tight you wear them) and they are comfortable to wear. I got them at the Motorcycle Show at the Rider's Choice display. If I recall they were about $69.

I was wearing my Dainese Alien pants when I highsided earlier this year. Granted, it was a high side but the hip protectors did nothing. I had a huge *** bruise on my hip as a result.

Back
Top Bottom