2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Congratulations on the Katoom! It's a beaut!

At some point I want to take this beast into the dirt and I read too many stories about BMW final drive failing in the tough stuff.

That's a myth.

The final drive is prone to fail in all sorts of stuff, tough or light use. Some guys will beat the crap out of it through mud, water and sand day in and day out and never experience any problems. Other guys will take it to Starbucks on the weekends and get a final drive failure. Or vice versa. It's a design issue, not a usage issue.

Congratulations on the Katoom! It's a beaut!

That's a myth.

The final drive is prone to fail in all sorts of stuff, tough or light use. Some guys will beat the crap out of it through mud, water and sand day in and day out and never experience any problems. Other guys will take it to Starbucks on the weekends and get a final drive failure. Or vice versa. It's a design issue, not a usage issue.
I think that is pretty much sorted now. I have not read a single report of any GS's having this issue in a long time.

A few of my buddies have shaft drive bimmers without problems.

The chain drive was the only concession from my new bike wish list.

Initial reviews are hitting the net... I'm stoked about the bike and the next couple of months waiting for my super adventure to arrive is gonna be brutal!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9bT-6bSiIu0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well here we are... Mid April and no ETA on the super adventure yet. The SA are being delivered in Europe Asia and Australia and guys on other forms are kindly sharing their first hand experiences. Sounds like the suspension and engine are the cats-@ss. It's making the wait seem even longer.

For the guys who have bought the SA1290, any feedback from your dealers on ETA?

Having owned a GS for 8 years I prefer the shaft drive. Lubing a chain in the sandy stuff is a pain in the ***. THe BMW has better ergos and more than enough grunt down low where it counts.

The KTM is much more agile but for 99% of all'adventure riders' never see the really deep stuff. Final drive issues long in the past if serviced according to manual.

Ask Lightcycle how his final drive is doing on his real"adventure"...

Both would be nice. I think the Mutlistrada is a good option , better than the KTM/BMW if you are not doing much off road.

BB

Last edited:
I am still waiting on my 1290 SA as well. Getting very discouraged to be honest. The dealer keeps telling me sometime in May. I have my first major ride coming in June so I would like ot get some seat time on it prior to knocking down the www.Cannonball500.ca if you know what I mean. No time to experiment with any sort of backrest etc. should it be required. I guess it will be worth the wait but man I put my funds down in November!

We are in the same boat Purdyman (it's Barekat BTW). I have an annual trip with my buddies I'd like to commit to but need to know what I'll be riding since I have my current bike up for sale.

busabim, I have to agree with you that chain maintenance sucks but, with the performance of the Multistrada on road and better performance than the GSW 1200 off road, I think the 1290SA will be the best all round bike.

Ergos are very personal so that is a difficult debate to have... what fits one may not fit another.

I am still waiting on my 1290 SA as well. Getting very discouraged to be honest. The dealer keeps telling me sometime in May. I have my first major ride coming in June so I would like ot get some seat time on it prior to knocking down the www.Cannonball500.ca if you know what I mean. No time to experiment with any sort of backrest etc. should it be required. I guess it will be worth the wait but man I put my funds down in November!

Well the big KTM has hit North America... At least someone has taken delivery north of Montreal. Ontario deliveries can't be far behind.&#55357;&#56832;

Well the big KTM has hit North America... At least someone has taken delivery north of Montreal. Ontario deliveries can't be far behind.��

Feel for you having to wait this long... I would go nuts. I picked up my new GSA a month ago already and there's been some great riding weather (unexpected after such a harsh winter). Hope you'll get it soon! Curious to get your thoughts once you've ridden it.

Yep. I put down a deposit last November when the bike was announced. I don't care about the winter wait but the spring is flying by and I'm missing some great riding weather as you pointed out. I'll be sure to report in with my impressions when I finally get her.

I've been sustained reading all the delivery stories and riding impressions from around the world. North America is the last place to get deliveries. :(
Feel for you having to wait this long... I would go nuts. I picked up my new GSA a month ago already and there's been some great riding weather (unexpected after such a harsh winter). Hope you'll get it soon! Curious to get your thoughts once you've ridden it.

I couldn't imagine waiting that long!

I would definitely rather have an 1190 or 1290 than my 690 ATM......... lol.

The wait is the most difficult part... KTM (Corporate) are AWOL and the dealerships are vague about anticipated delivery. I can buy a smartphone cover from China and know exactly when it'll be delivered to my home but KTM don't have any firm delivery dates or VIN numbers. I don't get it. I was originally expecting delivery in April but the ETA was moved to May with no explanation. Anyway, it's still May and the bike might appear... maybe.

I will be worth the wait I love my 1190 just wish it had cruise.

I would love cruise as well. I have a GoCruise 2 (the aluminum version) and it can't even hold the throttle. Freaking 690 vibrates it loose after a few KM.... ;(

woohoo! I got a call yesterday and my bike is in transit to the dealer. Won't be long now.

woohoo! I got a call yesterday and my bike is in transit to the dealer. Won't be long now.

Was just about to post how I saw one in Aurora last night at around 7pm.

The tank looks huge, so its pretty easy to distinguish (and the grey colour as well).

Congrats on getting the good news!

Re: Shaft drive - after having the rear seal start leaking on a Tiger Explorer we were renting in Europe last year, I'm less enamored with touring with a shaft drive. If it wasn't a rental and organized tour with the replaced by the company, our trip would have been scr***d. With a chain, maintenance, repair or even replacement would not have left us high & dry.

There can be an upside to delivery delays. I commute with a top box. I made my take possession timing conditional on being delivered with an OEM optional tail rack. Signed the deal in July, which locked in the trade in value of my old bike. The rack didn't arrive til November. In the mean time, I added 8,000 kms to my old bike. The dealer kept trying to convince me to take an ugly Givi rack that did not work with the lines of the bike, but since I had the paperwork all locked up, I just said I'd wait. That's 8000 free kms I don't have on my bike today, Lol.

Congrats for you guys getting the new SA. For your sake, I hope they come soon. I'm waiting to compare the Super Duke GT to the S1000XR, new Multi, and maybe new Verseys 1000, then decide. http://www.ridetalks.com/news/ktm-1290-superduke-gt-spied-test/2870/

You're the second person who advised me a SA was spotted in Aurora.

Back
Top Bottom