2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure | GTAMotorcycle.com

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure

lbjgh

So after almost a year of deliberations I decided to buy the 2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure.

I own a 2005 Suzuki Katana 750 and have put 80,000kms on it. It's been great but I thought it was time for something a bit different (and a bit the same).

I want to get into a bit of (soft) off roading, dual sport riding and I looked at several bikes (mid-range) Tiger 800 and F800GSA. Both of these bikes seemed underpowered and not very exciting. I tested the R1200GS and it had almost everything I was looking for until I came across the KTM 1190 Adventure.

I procrastinated long enough that the riding season was done and KTM announced the 1290 Super Adventure. Basically the 1190 adventure with a retuned version of the 1290 Super Duke R engine. KTM then added semi active suspension, 30L fuel tank and cruise and I was sold.

My deposit was processed a few weeks ago with delivery ETA April 2015. Damn this is going to be a long winter!

...just thought I'd share. :)

KTM-1290-Super-Adventure.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome bike I have a 1190 adventure and it is honestly the best bike I have ever owned. Power and handling on par with a liter bike combined with an incredible smooth ride and comfortable seating position.

sent from a device using a program

Thanks guys.

@ scuba Steve, what type of riding have you done with the 1190? Any dirt?

Congrats. Any discount for buying it over the winter? I'm looking to put down money on a new GSA soon.

Indirectly... saved the PDI and delivery plus discount on first service.

As a brand new model I wasn't expecting any movement on msrp.

The KTM pricing is exactly the same as the 1200GSA with luggage.

I have had it on dirt roads but nothing really off road I would take it on double track but nothing too crazy.

Congrats. Any discount for buying it over the winter? I'm looking to put down money on a new GSA soon.

Try the 1190 or 1290 before buying a gsa, either has more power and is lighter.

Indirectly... saved the PDI and delivery plus discount on first service.

As a brand new model I wasn't expecting any movement on msrp.

The KTM pricing is exactly the same as the 1200GSA with luggage.

Good to know the price, thanks.

Try the 1190 or 1290 before buying a gsa, either has more power and is lighter.

There is more power, but it's not a substantial difference and I won't be racing it. ;) I'm sold on the bigger tank, so really the 1290 would be the only comparable option to the GSA. When it comes down to looks, the GSA just does it for me. No question though, the 1290 would be a close second.

Have you ridden the new GSA? It's shocking how light the bike feels, given its real weight.

I don't like the look of the beak and prefer chain drive. I looked at the gs but thought the KTM was more fun to ride, looked better and the cornering abs is incredible. I get over 400k per tank on the 1190 which is plenty for my use. Enjoy whatever you get they both have flaws and strengths, the BMWs are known for bad waterpumps on the new wetheads and KTM has had airbox issues as a start.

Last edited:
The cornering abs is one of the main reasons I got the 1290. There has been times in my motorcycling career that the feature would have been REALLY helpful!

Beatiful bike, congrats. I don't know that may of the pure sportbike guys here truly understand the performance of a bike like this. In my mind they are the best "real world" street bikes available. My understanding is that the KTM can keep up with my Multistrada on the road and is the best adventure tourer off road. You're getting the best of both worlds. Enjoy!

The whole genre of modern "adventure tour" needs to be experienced. At the top of the food chain they all seem very capable and well thought out. 2hrs on my pure sports bike and I feel beatup, all day on an adventure tourer and you can walk into a rest stop and sit down. comfortably.

Congrats on the new bike!! It is nice to see some options for bikes with large tanks, I think the GSA was on its own there for a while. I am opposite of you, I prefer a shaft and love my 2010 GSA. This bike looks like it is more directly competing with the GS/A now, it looks more road comfortable, at least by looking at the seat.

Thanks.

I think shaft drive would be more convenient as well. The chain was the only concession when I selected the KTM.

At some point I want to take this beast into the dirt and I read too many stories about BMW final drive failing in the tough stuff.

The 1290SA is basically the same as the 1190 adventure but with more power, larger fuel tank, semi active suspension with 10mm more travel.

Here is a video of the 1190 on tarmac and in dirt/water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lngn_N6KZqM

Congrats on the new bike!! It is nice to see some options for bikes with large tanks, I think the GSA was on its own there for a while. I am opposite of you, I prefer a shaft and love my 2010 GSA. This bike looks like it is more directly competing with the GS/A now, it looks more road comfortable, at least by looking at the seat.

Hello - Well I can add three more to the mix of people that have traded out what they were presently riding and moved over to the world of adventure bikes. Two of us traded our Harleys and went KTM 1290 Adventures, and the other lost soldier traded his Harley and went with the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Adventure bike. Should be a fun year for these new bikes for us as a group. I put together a website with all of the details about the 1290 along with reviews from Gear right through to costs, ownership experience with dealers etc. Check it out - www.ktm1290adventure.com

Hello - Well I can add three more to the mix of people that have traded out what they were presently riding and moved over to the world of adventure bikes. Two of us traded our Harleys and went KTM 1290 Adventures, and the other lost soldier traded his Harley and went with the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Adventure bike. Should be a fun year for these new bikes for us as a group. I put together a website with all of the details about the 1290 along with reviews from Gear right through to costs, ownership experience with dealers etc. Check it out - www.ktm1290adventure.com

Congrats, and nice plate. ;) I was looking into a custom plate but at $250 or so I passed. In the US it runs closer to $50.

Ordered my GSA at the end of last year and am anxiously waiting for spring as well. :)

I think you will see this market grow and grow. Adventure bikes are great all around bikes for touring down to commuting. Lots of power, comfortable upright riding position, tons of aftermarket items that are actually useful.

Back
Top Bottom