Recommend a sub $300 tablet | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommend a sub $300 tablet

My old ipad works great for lying in bed, and writing on forums. :)

Memory and viability of the OS are the deal-breakers, not the rest of that stuff.

Try to find a nice Samsung tablet (with gps) or Asus tablet.

Being able to pop extra memory in is a great option to HAVE.

Samsung and Asus tablets are heavily supported and can easily update the software to the newest or put a custom ROM to get rid of bloatware.

I have the original galaxy tab 7 (has a sim card option) running the newest Android OS Kitkat 4.4
Works great!
I have Sygic stand alone gps app, movies, music, whatever this unit does it all plus if I really needed to I can use it as a phone because they unlocked the phone feature.

What i like about the iPad is being able to send sms texts (without a cellular connection) and make calls via wifi through my iPhone, but i think you need a minimum of an iPad3 for that. can't say what the screen is like for the iPad2, but on the 3 reading is great, dad has an asus nexus 7 i think and he goes to his kobo for reading where i find the iPad3 to work fine for reading.

I can use my iPad mini to send texts and phone....use free app called "text+"

What I hate is the limited memory that you can't expand with an external memory stick. I hate Apple.

Last edited:
Bump.

I had bought a 32GB Nexus 7, which was the 2012 version. It was perfect for her trip and she got good use out of it. I just sold it and want to get a slightly better one for her and I to share. We liked the one we had, but it did not have a rear facing camera and I didn't even notice that when I bought it.

I am thinking about getting the 2013 Nexus 7 that has the rear facing camera and some other good upgrades, unless someone has a better suggestion. We both liked the 7" size and I think a 10" would be too big for us, though she mentioned it was a bit of a pain to send long emails from such a small screen. I also want something that I can travel on the bike with - so preferably something that won't be too fragile and can take the vibrations of bumpy roads.
Thanks for all the help so far.
Cheers!

My pa has a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and I think it's pretty nice... it's not reliably under $300 but it has had some steep discounts in the past

I've been happy with my Samsung galaxy tab 2. Most are running the same OS, so look for reliability and price. We had a charger issue and they replaced it quickly and hassle free.

4dab8c97c5b5a177dc95a45ddebcf1fd.jpg
Shane, have you seen this? >>>
"His wife would.love to tools user the tree. You know, user the tree. To tools." Inreb, via Professor

No wonder it's $70 off. It won't allow rain checks. As riders you'd want that. Read the fine print!!

Highly unlikely but will check.

I have the 2013 Nexus 7 FTE. takes great pictures, graphics good. rarely use the 3G but it's a good backup when wifi is down. An added bonus would be if I could use it as a phone. Specs show all GSM bands but you can't use it as a phone. The recent kit kat updates have made it buggy though.

I just ordered the Nvidia shield 8" gaming tablet from staples. They price matched an online site, so I got it for 295. I will let you know how it is when it comes. the specs are very impressive.

I just ordered the Nvidia shield 8" gaming tablet from staples. They price matched an online site, so I got it for 295. I will let you know how it is when it comes. the specs are very impressive.

Good choice! I picked up the lte version 4 months ago. No complaints so far.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I was reading about the Chuwi (Chewi?) tablet over on Red Flag Deals. It's $150, dual boot android and windows, can be used as a home theatre PC, streams videos etc just fine, has mini HDMI out, micro SD memory addition. All in all seems like a solid little performer for the price. Go look.

Back
Top Bottom