1989 RACE Nationals | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1989 RACE Nationals

So what was the difference between then and now? Why there was so much interest by the public then and not now? Cigarette money for advertisement?
Players put in a lot of cash. Sponsors where easier to get, cycle city in burlington replaced all my damaged stuff for free. Tire companies paid out well. I got 3 or 4 pit passes with my entry fee. And it was $30 for the weekend for spectators. And lots of competition, makes it exciting to watch. Oh and we raced even when the ambulance was on track. Beware of waving white flag. Lol.

If you keep watching you'll see a guy named John Bickle running 250GP at Shannonville. John Cornwell too.

I had a an 87 RS with complete 88 updates and it was the oldest bike on the grid I think.
Carrachi's bike was tricked out along with all the Aprilia's.
The one thing that most miss about the old days was the crowd/sponsorship. If you have a big crowd you get sponsors. Put 25,000 in the seats and marketing becomes important. So if we filled the seats we would then get sponsors back and that would then feed itself. Just look at the cigarette wars and beer wars we had back then. It was really easier with the seats filled I will say. But every weekend was also an event. Good camping,parties,beer tent,,

Cool to see at least 2 ladies in that first race, the one that crashed out and the other did an interview...

They are still all over other pro sports.

I dont know if its changed but when they first banned tab/alc sponsorship, they still had it in countries that didn't ban it. So you would see a car or bike in a certain country still showing tab/alc advertising, and then none at the north american venues ?

The now long gone Kelly's Cycle in Brampton did what I think was the first trackdays for their customers they rented Shanny in 87-88ish The sponsored riders which I was one had to commit to do coaching/instruction for those days to get a deal. Long time ago but if I remember there were just two or three a season. tons of giveaways and catered lunch. McBride's wasnt long after that.

OMG. Now I feel really old. Did track days with both vendors. It must be more than 20 years ago. Seemed like these were the first trackdays in ontario, it was a real novelty at the time

Back
Top Bottom