Scotch anyone? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scotch anyone?

What's that fancier Crown Royal in the back? I keep hearing that the premium bottlings are good stuff, but the regular bottle and the Black are so bland that I'm not too keen on exploring the range further.

^^ Can't quite see it on my phone but it has a similar bottle shape as their Cask no 16, which is quite good at $100/per.

Edit, that's not it, but try the cask no 16..

Last edited:
Here is my Scotch...
4c64df25a7aca6db55caf36d3d9f407a.jpg

f0093992ee0dee1d12afe87d318cb0c4.jpg

And some other stuff of my stash...
2366795914e7674ab4367f3464034771.jpg

90358b07d76b801b314235bc2305100d.jpg

bf6f9c927ee3330724b6961598621d1b.jpg

325955b4cfdc08bfeb35ee72af1a0143.jpg

I think you and I will get along just fine!

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

$96.55 at the LCBO. Very nice

$179.95 might be on the pricey side but, OMG it's worth it. If not, get the 12 year old and save $100. Still good stuff.

And unrelated to Scotch but, I fine guilty pleasure from a local is:

This stuff on the rocks is perfect substitute for beer. Not that I don't like beer. lol

+1 for Highland Park

The 12 is prolly the best entry-level single malt. The 18 is godly.

I have tried almost all of the mentioned Scotch whiskeys except for the JW Platinum Label; Glenmorangie has become my favourite. It is smooth with a complex flavour and is reasonably priced. But as has been already posted, try as many as you can and come to your own conclusion.

My current stable

CfwAtix.jpg

ZluPTIy.jpg

Glenlivet 12
Glenlivet Nadurra 18yo
Dalmore 18
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Murray McDavid (11yo Laphroaig finished in Château Pétrus casks)
Laphroaig PX Cask
Ardmore something or other
Lagavulin 16
Lagavulin Distiller's Edition
Isle of Jura Prophecy
Aberlour 18
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail

What's that fancier Crown Royal in the back? I keep hearing that the premium bottlings are good stuff, but the regular bottle and the Black are so bland that I'm not too keen on exploring the range further.

It's the Crown Royal Special Reserve, it's been sitting on my shelf for about 10 years after I bought it!

My mom gave me a bottle of regular CR that she used once for cooking. It then sat on a shelf for 12 years.

Tasted exactly the same. Generic bullcrap.

Currently on the go...

Glenlivet 15
Johnnie Walker Explorers' Club 'Spice Road' (picked this up at the duty-free in Baltimore in October -- one of my favs until it's gone)
Buchanan's 12
Ballantine's
Chivas Regal 12 -- not a huge fan
Dewar's White Label

Headed to Phoenix tomorrow so that should allow me to bring back another :)

Big fan of peated scotch. Buddy brought me a Lagavulin Distiller's Edition that he got right at the distillery last month, it's close to perfect.

Ardbeg Uigeadail and Isle of Jura Prophecy are not far behind.

I like cheap blends as well, JW Black is always on the shelf. **** I even like Red Label and White & MacKay's bottom-shelf blend.

Truth be told there's very little whiskey I don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoL

I thought JW BLACK wasn't the cheap stuff :) anyways I like it.

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Laphroaig or Peat Monster for me. On lots of rocks, I like it icy cold and when it starts to get watery I just pound it and pour another.

Sounds like a plan!!

PS: if you are going to BC let us know about the kitty..

Just pulled out a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra "Triumph" 1991/2010 that I bought a couple years ago. Not a big fan of the floral Speyside stuff, but this is well done. Has a bit of tropical fruit/pinneaple flavors going on, and good spice in the finish.

The floral/vegetal aspect detracts from it IMO. Still enjoyable.

7.9 Matt Rains out of a possible 10

I think I am going to come visit you for a little scotch101 :)

For anyone traveling state-side, a 1L bottle of Johnnie Walker Double Black can be had for $49 US...
As such, I've just added that to my stable :)

For some reason, I like the bottle to sit around for a few weeks before I crack it open -- I like to build up some anticipation and suppress the feelings of anxiety of finishing the bottle once its opened.

Love scotch. Great for soothing an upset stomach. Current favourite is Balvenie 14-year-old Caribbean Cask (finished in a rum cask). I have an 18-year-old Glenlivet I haven't opened yet. Might give it a try at New Year's. Tried a number of others. Don't fancy anything peaty.

Back
Top Bottom