Scotch anyone? | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scotch anyone?

Auchentoshan Triple Wood - Not a fan of their oak and sherry cask 12's but this one I like. Not an overly complex taste but a good well-rounded one. Bit like Dalmore 12 but less syrupy.

McEwan's Market at the Don Mills Shops has Islay single malt flavoured toothpicks available for $7.99 a dozen. Also in bourbon and other assorted flavours.

I don't know what boggles my mind more. The waste of the Scotch or the depravity of consumerism.

McEwan's Market at the Don Mills Shops has Islay single malt flavoured toothpicks available for $7.99 a dozen. Also in bourbon and other assorted flavours.

I don't know what boggles my mind more. The waste of the Scotch or the depravity of consumerism.

the depravity is ridiculous, def a first world issue

as for the Islay whiskey, that is a waste
I think it's far better suited as a boot polish

as for the Islay whiskey, that is a waste
I think it's far better suited as a boot polish

I suggest something a little less aggressive. Bud Lite Lime comes to mind.

a lot of whiskey snobs turn their noses up at Chivas

while not a single malt, it is a damn good whiskey

I'd take it over a cheap single malt any day

I agree. I like Chivas and have never understood why people not like it.

As my friend once said, drink good stuff. You are gonna die one day. If you happen to die drinking, at least die drinking the good stuff.

He went dark there but it stuck with me.

I like Chivas and a bunch of other cheap blends as well. Famous Grouse is excellent value.

Reading about this scotch snobs stuff makes me think of Hunter S Thompson's (maybe) take on this.......i'd rather be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube.A splash of Ballantines or a splash of Balvenie? Easy decision.

Monkey Shoulder - I haven't had many blends but this is easily my fav of them. Shivas is ok and agreed it is better than cheap singles (there's just nothing remarkable about it).

Forgot about this thread. Gotta add this.

With the weather and a nice r&r vibe, I pulled out the best peaty scotch in the world (for 80% of people). Had a glass of Ardbeg 10 year old single malt. World whiskey of the year in 2008 and every bit as good as reviewed. A few are still available online at the LCBO and there is some store stock. http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/ardbeg-10-year-old-islay-scotch-whisky/560474#.Wjxt59-nHb0

For the other 20% of people who are big peaty scotch aficionados, go with the Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's the highest ever rated whiskey in the Whisky Bible. Also available in ON in low volume. http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/ardbeg-uigeadail-islay-single-malt/660860#.Wjxvz9-nHb0

The ON prices for them are typically high (welcome to ON). But wow, at least it's awesome to get some world class scotch availability. ON/LCBO used to be much worse for selection...

Last edited:
Not a scotch but worth posting...one of the better bourbons, Makers Mark is $5 off at the LCBO right now. $39. I went to a whisky tasting last summer and along with some great scotches they had this bourbon too. Slightly sweet and very smooth.

Makers Mark is $5 off at the LCBO right now.

That stuff is the Labatt's Blue of bourbon. Spend a few dollars more and grab something at least half decent like Basil Hayden's.

That stuff is the Labatt's Blue of bourbon. Spend a few dollars more and grab something at least half decent like Basil Hayden's.

I liked it. The whisky tasting I was at had it alongside some very decent single malts up into the 100s, the guy leading the tasting mentioned it was a bargain taste wise. Not that the comparison is fair but it’s easy drinking. Better than the Jim Beans and Jack Daniels stuff.

Ordered two Glendronach 12's and a pair of Monkey Shoulder this week. The thing about moving to the country is the local scotch lcbo selection is low.

One time at a fancy hipster bar that specialized in fancy mixed drinks, ordered an old fashioned. Server asked what I wanted in it and showed me a big list of bourbons that included Pappy Van Winkle. Told her to surprise me with something decent that was middle of the road. Best old fashioned I've had before or since. Get the bill and see that she used Makers Mark

If you forget the price and ubiquity, it's far from bad.

What you folks think about this stuff????

Had some and found it remarkable smooth.

However, I may have had a few Oban beforehand and wasn’t feeling much pain.

e002af7f6939757c48a9015053d114e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you folks think about this stuff????

Had some and found it remarkable smooth.

However, I may have had a few Oban beforehand and wasn’t feeling much pain.

e002af7f6939757c48a9015053d114e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had their Hibiki and found it too light. Just nothing remarkable or great about it. From reviews on their other whiskies they all seem to be quite light. Not one I would buy again.

Finished off the rye, reaching for the JWB.

At he LCBO yesterday and they were clearing a sampler pack of Tominoul Scotch. Three airline bottles 10, 16 and 25 years old for about $28.00. I'm not a super-taster but thought the sample pack would give me an idea of the difference the aging made. To be honest, the differences were minimal. The bad news is I'm not a super taster but the good news is that I can keep on buying cheap stuff.

Aside from the extremes most beers, wines and whiskeys are OK with attitude and ambiance being a big adjustment factor. I'd rather have a cheap beer with a good friend than a good beer with a cheap friend.

Back
Top Bottom