Scotch anyone? | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scotch anyone?

Wrong thread

ive got a bottle of 16 year Lagavulin my gf got me for xmas.....just waiting on a good reason to crack it open with a few buddies.

usually i buy bowmore, its awesome with a good cuban by the firepit!

I got some single Irish malt last time I was at duty free. It's better than many of the Scotch I have and its half the price. Connemara single Irish malt whisky.

I'm far from a connoisseur of fine spirits but occasionally sip some single malt with a splash of water.

A number of years ago I was boating the Rideau canal and the water at one of the locks was the best I ever tasted. I have on my bucket list a motorcycle trip to said lock to obtain a small quantity of water to slash into my scotch. I'm sure there will be something illegal about it.

Added to my stash this Christmas:
-Glendronach 18yr
-Dalwhinnie 15yr
-Balmore 12

Can't get into this Dalwhinnie but it may smoothen out now that it's opened. The other two are incredible and won't last long :)

I don't drink a lot and therefore very little Scotch but when I want to appear a little snobish I usually have a bit of Glenfiddich around.

However I just noticed they are advertising an IPA Experiment brew. Beer / ale flavoured Scotch????

Someone who knows Scotch (Glenfiddich) Seems to think it's a good idea but the idea leaves me a bit queasy.

Last edited:
Me and a bottle of Oban 12 y/o had a little contest. The Oban won. That stuff is like candy and couldn't stop.

I'm told I was the life of the party this past weekend.

Thank Christ everyone was in similar shape and couldn't operate their phone to take pics and post to fb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not so much into the Islays, too peaty for me....

like me some highland whiskies, and speysides

a few faves are Dalwhinnie, Dalmore, MacAllan

and one of my real faves: Jura.....island right next to Islay, can almost jump to it,
but a totally different whiskey, extremely smooth, sometimes referred to as a novice scotch

Currently have a
Glenfiddich 14 Rich Oak, that one i need a drop of water to enjoy, otherwise just kicks you in the mouth
Glen Moray 12
Macallan 12 that i got from the states (can't get it here)
Aberlour 10, which i don't like, i actually make highball cocktail with it (same with my Johnny Walker 12, black)
a whiskey that surprised me was Jack Daniel's distilleries series, Frank Bobo edition..i never thought i'd enjoy a bottle of JD..ever...a few drops and its pretty enjoyable, a friend brought it back from the JD factory in the states. Great father's day present!

I finished my Glendronach 12 a little too fast, it was kinda too tasty

Macallan 12 - I have a bottle here and a second arriving tomorrow to take to the east coast with me.
Glengoyne 12 - Nice alternative to the Mac12 that can be found in LCBO.
GlenDronach 12 and 18 - yes the 18 is that much better.
Dalmore 12 - bit smokey but really caramel tasting. Delish but not overly complex.
Glenmorangie rare18 - had this for two years and drink it sparingly. Really good but too pricey to drink often.
Chivas Regal/JW Black - cheapies that I can warm the palate with.

I'll try that Glengoyne then :D

I bought some of mine at the SAQ warehouse (equivalent of LCBO warehouse) cause they were about 20-30% cheaper than the regular counterparts. If you're driving/riding to the east coast, might be a good detour, look for SAQ entrepot

Currently enjoying the Bruichladdich Octomore 7.3, it's a peat monster. However it's balanced with fruity and floral notes.

although its not a scotch, I've recently discovered the Wayne Gretzky no 99, easy to drink and not too harsh in the finish. The $35 price tag won't make me feel bad if I finished 1/2 bottle in one sitting.

k1P1eQd_zpsjntoious.jpg

Picked up some Glenfiddich small batch reserve 18 year old, last time I crossed the border. I like it.

Opened up lagavulin 8 last weekend.
I don't have too much experience with scotch but this 'young' scotch was different.

Never had anything like it. 'Less refined than lagavulin 16', is what my brother called it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I don't have too much experience with scotch but this 'young' scotch was different.

Never had anything like it. 'Less refined than lagavulin 16', is what my brother called it.

Peaty. Try Ardbeg 10 for the gold standard (without getting into even more bold examples, such as the Uigeadail)
https://www.ardbeg.com/whisky/ultimate-range/ten-years-old
https://www.ardbeg.com/whisky/awards

Uigeadail, fwiw, has won best scotch in the world, and received the highest rating ever by Jim Murray, 97.5 out of 100; author of the whisky bible and having sampled thousands of offerings. http://blog.islayinfo.com/article.php/ardbeg-uigeadail-whisky-of-the-year).
https://www.ardbeg.com/whisky/ultimate-range/uigeadail

For aficionados, I found Bruichladdich Rocks great out of many I've tried (not a heavy peat scotch). Hard to find at times.
https://www.bruichladdich.com/bruichladdich/rocks

Last edited:

Had no idea there was such a thing. Will have to check it out. Still working on a 12 (Distiller's Edition) I got as a wedding gift 3 years ago - sublime stuff. It pains me to see the level go down in the bottle.

I have 12 as well, haven't opened it yet. Also unopened ardbeg corryvaken(sp?) I got as a present.
When I started getting into scotch I bought bunch and received bunch as gifts but really haven't been drinking them lately.

I think I should finish less pricey opened ones first (CR northern harvest, JW black)

Damn, only a 25 dollar difference between the 8 and the 16. I think I'll just restock the 16 then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom