Scotch anyone? | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Scotch anyone?

I visited family outside the province recently for a few days, just as everyone soon rolls into holidays. A fellow scotch enthusiast, this was one of his scotch collections. Mostly speyside highland style here.
attachment.php

I sampled:
Mortlach 15
Benromach 10
Balvenie triple cask 16
Macallan 12 double cask
Macallan 12
Macallan 18
Highland Park 12
Highland Park 18
Highland Park Sigurd
Dalwhinnie 15
Glenfarcas 12
Glenfarcas 17
Berry's 2000
Ancnoc 16
Ancnoc 2001

There's a few more I tried but they're buried in the picture and I can't remember the names. It was great, obviously. It also inspired me to pick up a scotch at the liquor store in the airport terminal.
attachment.php

I love Ardbeg 10 yr. It was $15 cheaper than the LCBO too. ;)

Out of all those scotch, I'd recommend the Ardbeg. Serious. But if you're a speyside/highland fan then that was a good list to check out and the differences are more subtle. I enjoyed the Macallan's for sure, The Dahlwhinnie stood out too, the Balvenie was quite nice, the two Glenfarcas bottles were impressive and the Highland Park triplets were very smooth. There were certain standouts across the range of aging, as I've typically experienced.

I tried a lot of new brands and I ended up still preferring what I did before (both inside and outside of the speyside and highland style). On the other hand, in the speyside and highland style I did find impressive value with similar quality and taste in many of the less expensive bottles. I'm less inclined to pay premium >$100 prices now on speyside and highland style scotch.

Last edited:
That Dalwhinnie 15 is a solid people-pleaser to keep on the shelf as is the McCallan 12.

I just got back from out east visiting Scotch enthusiests as well. I usually stay away from overly peated scotch's but came home with a Highland Park "Viking" 12 edition. Less peated than the HP 18 I also sampled but still really nicely rounded.
Also came home with a Balvenie Caribbean Cask which I only find ok but it was a present and another good one to have on the shelf.

This is my latest haul. Single malt Welsh whisky. Bought in LlanfairPG in Wales. Thats the shortened version of the place name...the real name is the second longest in the world. Thats the local Volvo dealship in the pic below. Haven't tasted this yet. To be honest I have no clue what to expect but I'm sure theres some Celtic wizardry in there somewhere. I love the box the whisky is in too...very Game of Thrones.
ff3fab867afc63cf54071c0f8f856037.jpg
7e38c69a371414d24fa49f643e7c0e82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: J_F
That Dalwhinnie 15 is a solid people-pleaser to keep on the shelf as is the McCallan 12.

I just got back from out east visiting Scotch enthusiests as well. I usually stay away from overly peated scotch's but came home with a Highland Park "Viking" 12 edition. Less peated than the HP 18 I also sampled but still really nicely rounded.
Also came home with a Balvenie Caribbean Cask which I only find ok but it was a present and another good one to have on the shelf.

agreed....Dalwhinnie and MacAllan are 2 of my faves

so at Christmas, my daughter called my son
asking what kind of scotch Dad likes....he said MacAllan
so I had a $35 bottle of McClelland's under the tree
but it's the thought that counts right? :)

And the welsh single malt is a winner. I generally like peated whiskey but this isn't very peaty, however what it is is very smooth with a hint of sweetness. It reminds me a little of some Irish single malts I’ve tried. I also bought a few 50ml bottles of this Welsh whisky matured in Madeira barrels so we will see what those are like at some point.

Also, as a bit of extra info, if you visit the uk and buy some scotch, ask for a vat refund receipt. I got 20% back just by filling in some info and handing in some paperwork at the airport. The prices were better than duty free anyway in the stores and the refund is the icing on the cake. The welsh whisky I bought cost 41 pounds, roughly $80 CDN before the rebate.

Found some at my local lcbo by surprise...AND $6 OFF TOO . Xmas miracle
I think I’m going to start buying some better liquors....may as well get a taste of some of these better things and treat oneself.

bunch of Glen Fiddich bottles in my cabinet though!

I think I’m going to start buying some better liquors....may as well get a taste of some of these better things and treat oneself.

bunch of Glen Fiddich bottles in my cabinet though!
I mean, why not?!

I drink a lot less of a good scotch and i feel less bloated to get the same buzz than with beers... And i dont feel that i need to finish the bottle like i do with an open bottle of wine.

Heck even with beers ill often go with porters and strong stouts. Theyre more efficient and way tastier, just adds more to the experience i find.

I can never get enough of this stuff around the holidays....usually don't like flavoured, but damn is it delicious.

1608776239161.png

Back
Top Bottom