Worth it?? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Worth it??

exciting is not the word i would use. the h2 was terrifying. riding it was like feeling like you're about to crash because the brakes are like marshmallows on cardboard and the frame flexed like a twizzler.

This seems to be the on-going myth about these bikes! "Flexie flyer" "widow maker" pffft sloppy oem nylon swingarm bushings were probably the biggest culprit for this reputation. In reality, they handled just as well as most of the bikes from the 70's. As I said previously, they can be tamed pretty easily with minimal effort... The brakes do suck by modern standards but there are plenty of cheap, modern, 2 piston callipers out there to retrofit.
So, the original question was whether it was worth it... For free?
I'd say yeah, and if you don't think you'll scoop it, pm me the address and I'll be more than happy to drop bye and dispose of that ole junk you have! :D

My VERY first racebike a 71 H1 to this day I hate two strokes because of that bike. Very finicky to get it running right. When it was it was quick (for the day) brakes sucked and suspension was garbage. Very simple engine. trap oil pump on idle setting (cant eliminate totally because it drips straight on crank bearings) and run good oil on premix. Bike calls for 20:1 I used to run good race oil at 32:1 and pump on idle seamed about right. Pipes were a trick most leave little clearance and in race mode it required very aggressive body positioning as pipes would hit very easy. Saw my old bike at a VRRA meet a few years ago. New owner was having a hell of a time keeping it running right. I just laughed and said some things never change. Pic is me on it at my very first race ever.

Those shorts. My eyes!

Goddamn. They're smaller than her shorts.

This seems to be the on-going myth about these bikes! "Flexie flyer" "widow maker" pffft sloppy oem nylon swingarm bushings were probably the biggest culprit for this reputation. In reality, they handled just as well as most of the bikes from the 70's. As I said previously, they can be tamed pretty easily with minimal effort... The brakes do suck by modern standards but there are plenty of cheap, modern, 2 piston callipers out there to retrofit.
So, the original question was whether it was worth it... For free?
I'd say yeah, and if you don't think you'll scoop it, pm me the address and I'll be more than happy to drop bye and dispose of that ole junk you have! :D

The S2 or S3 weren't bad but the early H1s were indeed "widow makers". Great in a straight line but they didn't like corners at all.
The later H1s got a longer frame, longer swing arm, they moved the motor in the frame to improve the COG... it didn't really help.
Put modern tires on a H1 and it gets worse.
I raced a S2 in Production classes in 1974 and 1975 (with roller bearings in the swingarm pivot). Even with the crappy tires we had then the thing would do the shimmy pretty good through corner 2 and 8 at Mosport (We use to mount "spec" 4.10" rear tire backward on the front). I've raced CB Hondas from the same era and they do the shimmy pretty good too. The Yamahas of the era did a lot better... they copied the Norton Featherbed frame.

Last edited:
Yes it's worth it. Kawi triples are wicked bikes. If you don't want it I would be interested. Even if it's just the engine.

Really want to build something like this:
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/gallery/kwikasfaki/kwikasfaki-cabbie-2.jpg

BTW Walms, I love your bike. Saw you up in Campbellville back in November with a couple other triple riders and a dude on a WR250.

There were allot of sweet bikes there that day in Campbellville, I was drooling over the Eddie Lawson replica! Wow!
The bike in the pic is from a UK builder, he does awesome work and must have deep pockets considering some of his projects. I like how he changed the tank badge on this one. Lol

There were allot of sweet bikes there that day in Campbellville, I was drooling over the Eddie Lawson replica! Wow!
The bike in the pic is from a UK builder, he does awesome work and must have deep pockets considering some of his projects. I like how he changed the tank badge on this one. Lol

Yeah I read a lot of his build thread on some forum. Pretty sure the engine was from an ex-drag bike, so must have some serious balls. Love the Kwikasfaki name too.

Richard's Eddie Lawson replica really is amazing. You should see his Z1R and Katana specials if you like that one.

Actually, my buddy who was on the yellow RZ in Campbellville has a H2 with a 150 HP FBG motor that he rides on the street...
His son has a S2 with a 500 motor in it similar to mine.
The H2 a quick bike for sure! I've ridden it a few times and for sure you want to have a good grip on the bars when she hits 7k :)

Actually, my buddy who was on the yellow RZ in Campbellville has a H2 with a 150 HP FBG motor that he rides on the street...
His son has a S2 with a 500 motor in it similar to mine.
The H2 a quick bike for sure! I've ridden it a few times and for sure you want to have a good grip on the bars when she hits 7k :)

Damn, how reliable would a 150hp H2 engine be? Sounds like fun anyways. Scary fun!

It's surprisingly streetable although he's opted to add reeds to it this winter to make it better for the street.
The exhaust port is pretty aggressive so a bit tougher on rings but he hasn't re-ringed it in at least 3 seasons.
Fwiw, I believe the 150 spec is at the crank, not at the rear wheel... My guess is it would be in the 120-130 hp on the dyno.

Yes it's worth it. Kawi triples are wicked bikes. If you don't want it I would be interested. Even if it's just the engine.

Really want to build something like this:
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/gallery/kwikasfaki/kwikasfaki-cabbie-2.jpg

Cabbie's builds are nothing short of amazing.

If it were me I'd put the engine in a zxr400 roller.
This looks great and probably handles better than the original.

2006%5C08%5C08%5Cbikepics-651165-full.jpg

2006%5C08%5C08%5Cbikepics-651170-full.jpg

The white bike is a H1 in a S2 frame. In my opinion, the H1 in the S frame (reinforced) is the best combo for a triple.

Back
Top Bottom