Other uses of kerosene ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Other uses of kerosene ?

MSRP

Hi,

I use kerosene to keep my knives from rusting when camping... besides using it to clean my chain, could I wipe down the frame/forks/metal on the bike to limit rust?

Aka: Spraybottle or wipe on rag, and wipe on metal surfaces liberally?

My (carbureted) bike's no show-winner, and will get ridden in winter when the temps aren't freezing with tons of water on the road. Post ride, lots of "white spray/crud" all over. Could I wipe with water, and then kerosene?

Thank you in advance!

I wouldn't use it on painted surfaces and it's not really great for rust prevention.. You can use it for adhesive removal. You can use it as a camp fuel.

You should be spraying your bike with oil if you drive it in the winter. Kerosene can be used in a parts washer, or for similar applications where you are cleaning grease. It is also the active ingredient in a lot of fuel conditioners to raise octane. You can use it as carburetor cleaner also. It will leave a light protective film on metal against rust, but it quickly disperses when salt is introduced, that is why oil like RustChek is much better on anything driven in salt.

Launch homemade rockets when we were kids.

My great grandfather made a farm truck (2 engines and a swivel seat in between them) that ran on kerosene. Get going, if you needed to back up you just swivel.around and use the other engine to pull. Not sure how it worked though, as kerosene is less combustible than gas. I'll ask an uncle and get back to you.

makes a good lubricant for glass cutters, antiseptic wash for cuts if its all you have, two tablespoons in a barrel of water will kill mosquito larvae , degrease things well, its used medicinally is third world countries. ( it was considered a cancer treatment by the Rockefellers till they found out how much money was in Chemo) , it will power a jet engine. I use it in my whale oil lamps ( its more politically correct)

I won't use it on my kitchen knives. I have the feeling it's not ingestible. Come to think about it, if I recall correctly it was used as a laxative... or was that castor oil. My brain is failing me

Kerosene is great for washing bearings because it leaves an oily film. I always pressure wash my crank with it when the motor is apart.
Also it can be used for cutting oil with aluminum but then again, so can varsol.
It is good for spooge cleanup on my bike but I prefer the smell of WD-40 actually. :)

Rope-2.jpg

Back to more googling. Thank you for the input (and Home Alone memories), learning something new every day..

And no, definitely not for "cooking" knives when camping.

I would not recommend kerosene for any of these applications.
Might be ok for cleaning a chain (and maybe a couple of other, non-painted, things) but otherwise I agree.
Launch homemade rockets when we were kids.

My great grandfather made a farm truck (2 engines and a swivel seat in between them) that ran on kerosene. Get going, if you needed to back up you just swivel.around and use the other engine to pull. Not sure how it worked though, as kerosene is less combustible than gas. I'll ask an uncle and get back to you.
Probably just had a diesel engine. Pretty sure they'll run on kerosene.

I won't use it on my kitchen knives. I have the feeling it's not ingestible. Come to think about it, if I recall correctly it was used as a laxative... or was that castor oil. My brain is failing me
Yeah I was thinking some kind of edible oil would probably be way better on knives. I'd rather not have fuel in my food. Can't say I've ever had a problem with rusting knives while camping.

I'd get an aerosol can of Krown from the dealer and spray the nice bits of my bike if I rode after the brine came out. Especially the rear shock linkage and stuff.

i'd get an aerosol can of krown from the dealer and spray the nice bits of my bike if i rode after the brine came out. Especially the rear shock linkage and stuff.
acf50

Probably just had a diesel engine. Pretty sure they'll run on kerosene.

They most definitely will... Actually kerosene is used as an anti-gelling agent in diesel fuel in the winter. One of the reasons the prices of diesel go up as soon as the thermometer goes the other way.

It ant no trailer queen bud! Lol
If you know a better spooge (burnt 2 stroke oil) remover, let me know! ;)

Hmmm I will try to soak a highly carbon-fouled part in it after I scrape off the worst of it

Other uses of kerosene ?

Kerosene was the fuel used in the Apollo program's F-1 engines:

eande-f1-testfire.jpg

Got any spare liquid-fuel rocket engines lying around?

I wouldn't really use the stuff for anything other than as a chain cleaning solvent, as a space-heater fuel:

L85A-1174762455.jpg

or as a rocket fuel. :p

Back
Top Bottom