Please Recommend a Rider Training Course --- my wife wants to get her M | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Please Recommend a Rider Training Course --- my wife wants to get her M

SeaBreez-- I think there was someone on here that was offering a discount on the rider course. There might be a sticky.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

You won't go wrong with any school that is teaching in the GTA, they will all teach her the basics to ride a bike. The key word there is basics, whether or not one is better than the other is purely subjective.

Take the opportunity to visit the upcoming bike shows, all the schools will have booths present, plus there will be bikes that she can sit on and get the feel for what type of bike is best for her.

In terms of a light weight cruiser, a Suzuki Maurader 250 is available, but I would strongly suggest that she test ride one first. It does not instil confidence in picking up speed at anything over 60 km/h. On the plus side, it's seat height is quite low in stock configuration, which makes flat footing a possibility for the smallest of riders.

501a50a5e1120150a91e5476a.jpg

Pro's:
Cheap as hell (I believe we sold the '07 for $1500)
Low Seat height
Slimline cruiser
Very forgiving

Cons:
Lacks power
Sounds like a sewing machine (subjective)

Might make a great first bike, where you won't take a bath on the resale. But if the intention is to buy and hang onto, then I'd go with Meme's suggestion on the Harley 883 - great bike with plenty of customizations to be had!

I took the M1 rider training course this summer with my wife, every rider in our group on that bike struggled - the forward foot controls just aren't natural.

Riding with you for so many years should tend to any "unfamiliar" territory. Thus any reputable school should suffice.

Ninja 300 was a great bike! More top end the a 250

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. She has booked for March 31, 2015 with Rider Training Institute (DVP/401) and bought her first bike last Saturday... She can flat foot with bent knees and feels she can manage the weight!!! Whoot whooot... Can't wait for spring!
Ok, next question, where in the east end of Toronto can we get it certified without getting hosed?
IMG_2077a.jpg

Last edited:
Ken McAdams aka Kneedragger88 on the forum is a good guy and might do mobile cert's.

Congrats on March 31st 2015 - it's gonna be a cold weekend!

Thanks shanekingsley, a friend is is trailering it for us. Thanks for the recommendation on kneedragger88.

Last summer my wife and a group we were filming for our TV show underwent training downtown with RTI. I can't recommend it enough. It was incredible. I was there for the entire course (for the filming part) and found that even having ridden for the past 30 years myself (wow, I can't believe I just typed that!), there were tips I learned and found interesting.

RTI was a great course. I did it in August and there were 11 of us in the class. I loved the suzuki tu250. Super for building confidence. If they built a bigger one i would have bought it as a first bike. I looked at the fz 07 but i want to ride long distance a lot so I opted for the kawasaki vulcan S. New for 2015...650cc and supposed to be a great bike for beginners and experienced riders. Its considered a "sport cruiser".

Back
Top Bottom