Oil filter bolt | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil filter bolt

Tjf

Hey Ladies and gents,

I tried winterizing my bike today after a short ride (great weather) but to my dismay after draining the oil plug on my '12 ninja 250, when I tried loosening the bolt to the oil filter, it wouldn't budge. The oil was hot as I just rode the bike.

Anyone have any tips as to how I could loosen this bolt? Its stopping me from putting fuel stabilizer, taking the battery out, and obviously putting fresh oil back in.

Advice and tips are greatly appreciated,

TJ

.... I tried loosening the bolt to the oil filter, it wouldn't budge.

You mean the oil filler cap? Like this..
OilFillerCapcopy.jpg

If so, I use a pipe wrench with some cardboard to protect the cap, to get the angle and leverage and apply gently pressure.
11MH77_AS01.JPG

Maybe this will help...
http://www.kawiforums.com/oil-lubrication/113982-2008-ninja-250-oil-change-procedures.html

Last edited:
Or if you mean the actual oil filter you can either use a strap wrench or if you want to do it the cheap way, gently tap a long slot head screwdriver right through the filter and use the driver to get more torque to twist the filter off. After that go and buy the K&N filters with the nut welded on the end. Makes things very easy.

'12 ninja 250, when I tried loosening the bolt to the oil filter, it wouldn't budge.
TJ
The exact same thing happened to me, tried vice grip, everything til the damn thing was completely stripped grr. Had to go to a shop to get it loosened..I know, this post is not helpful at all just sharing my experience :p

Good luck

JC obviously has never seen a Kawasaki 250. Larger wrench that will fit on the actual cast nut on your cover and tap with a hammer to get initial momentum. O ring is probably the hang up friction point. Are you turning it the correct way? Been there myself!

Last edited:
I believe the 250r has a cartridge style oil filter like my old FJ600. Some times that bolt can be a pain to loosen. Be careful not to round off the bolt head and be sure you are turning it the right way. If you do round it off make sure to get a new one and do not over tighten it when you reinstall the filter.

Good luck.

I think its a 17mm socket...try a breaker bar...don't use vise grips or channel locks. Put a new crush washer when you are putting it back on

The 250 Ninja uses a paper cartridge oil filter held on with a centre 'through-bolt'.
Get the appropriately sized metric SIX POINT socket and it should come right off.
If it doesn't, its vise grips and hammer time I'm afraid.

Get the right size socket in 1/2" drive and a breaker bar, and as said a 6pt socket and not a cheap one. The cheap sets don't fit tight and have rounded entry holes so they do not grip a shallow fastener well. Pull at as close to a 90deg angle as you can get so you don't torque the tool off the fastener.

Get the right size socket in 1/2" drive and a breaker bar, and as said a 6pt socket and not a cheap one. The cheap sets don't fit tight and have rounded entry holes so they do not grip a shallow fastener well. Pull at as close to a 90deg angle as you can get so you don't torque the tool off the fastener.
...and go Counter clock wise :D

Last edited:
Real mechanics use vicegrips and hammers, anyone can do it with the right tools.

leatherman tool and a 14" bowie knife, so you can fix the filter and skin a bear for dinner.

And its righty tighty, lefty loosey. And shortly after tight comes broken.

Back
Top Bottom