Accident in mall parking lot. 50/50 fault. Will my rates go up? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Accident in mall parking lot. 50/50 fault. Will my rates go up?

Please stop spreading incorrect information. Cops really should stop commenting on it because I've heard the same thing, incorrectly, from 3 cops as well.

As far as I'm aware, any time there is a collision involving two people if one person makes a claim the other company gets notified. Depending on the fault determination rules and the insurance company's investigation, if any percentage of fault is assigned to either person, their rates go up. 99% on person A, 1% on person B = both rates rise just as if either one were 100% at fault. Only way your rates aren't going up is if it's 100% the other person's fault. Even then, they claim your rates won't go up but they're probably secretly affected somehow knowing how much of a scam insurance is here.

That's what i got from our insurance company...sorry if you're right.

Does this even count as a collision? I would think the other person made a comprehensive claim and that is why your wife's insurance wasn't affected.

The insurance company said it did.

There is also this I guess:

Back Into Parking Spots

By backing in (or pulling through to park nose-out, in lots that have two spots nose-to-tail), you do your reversing when the transmission is warm, eliminating having to drive in Reverse with a cold transmission and engine. You'll eliminate the loud "clunk" (which is hard on the transmission) and also only go through a single acceleration cycle on a cold engine when departing your destination.

this tip works for 86% of voting Fuelly members.

It's also easier if you need a boost.

Does this even count as a collision?
I would think the other person made a comprehensive claim and that is why your wife's insurance wasn't affected.

The only way this would count as a comprehensive claim, would be if the other party called in a claim as vandalism, otherwise it would be a collision claim.

Last edited:

The only way this would count as a comprehensive claim, would be if the other party called in a claim as vandalism, otherwise it would be a collision claim.

I know if someone hits your parked car it's still a collision but banging doors together while both are parked doesn't seem like it would count. It actually does sound like vandalism to me.

If you are parked somewhere, come back to your car and there is damage, it's considered a hit/run, you would make a claim under DCPD (Direct Compensation PropertyDamage) not collision.

If two people open doors and hit each other causing damage to each other’s vehicle, claim would go under Collision and it would be considered 50/50 fault.
It would be no different if the 2 parties are backing out of a parking space and both rear end each other

Vandalism would be if your car was vandalized intentionally by another party, in the situation above nobody is vandalizing anything.

Good to know. Seems odd that it's considered a collision even if neither vehicle is moving.

Good to know. Seems odd that it's considered a collision even if neither vehicle is moving.
Insurance companies look at it, as you’re still operating a vehicle, regardless as if it’s moving or not.

In a sense they're both moving, the doors anyway, or the collision wouldn't have occurred.

Never hesitate shifting to drive after you've backed out. If you shift and are moving forward before you're hit by someone backing out, you'll be zero at fault. If you hesitate after reversing out, and are hit while stopped the insurance will ding you at 50-50, saying that you were still backing out. So get all of your adjustments done before you back out.

Never hesitate shifting to drive after you've backed out. If you shift and are moving forward before you're hit by someone backing out, you'll be zero at fault. If you hesitate after reversing out, and are hit while stopped the insurance will ding you at 50-50, saying that you were still backing out. So get all of your adjustments done before you back out
Hahahahah, I wonder if that will even work with the insurance company, but I like your idea.

Insurance companies have their own (logic) way of looking at a collision; you'll have to ask them about that situation.

Question for my freind.

He was in a accident at a mall parking lot and the cops came to do a report. The cop said it was 50/50 since it's in a private parking lot.

My question is if the other party claims insurance to fix their car but he does claim put a claim on his own insurance will his rate go up still for a 50% fault accident?

THE officer wasn't really clear and he is sitting bricks now. He was not at fault and his car doesn't have damage so there would be no point of claiming his ins. But the other driver car basically screw him even tho she caused the accident. If she claims insurance will he be screwed?

Any insight would be helpful.
He just might be.. He should still call the insurance and let them know what happen but he's not putting a claim.. My sister had a accident in mall parking lot cops wouldn't come out , we called ins to let them be aware it was other persons fault so we not putting in claim as we had no damage.. 7 Months later mom and sister get court papers they suing for 500k and found out they put a claim through for 10k and they ding my sister policy they called it 3rd party claim, and at that time the insurance company didn't even call to tell us there was a claim going through for 10k .
But now with all this court stuff its good my mom had report the incident even when so wasn't making claim this way her story is on record.

Good Luck!

Always, always when involved in an accident go and fill out a police report even if you don’t want to call your insurance company.

Let’s look at this scenario, 2 people get involved in an accident, Mr. A was rear ended by Mr. B
There is no damage to Mr. A car, he tells Mr. B don’t worry about there is no damage on my car I’m not going to call the insurance company.

However, Mr. B, that is at fault cracked his bumper and wants it fixed and doesn’t have the money.
Mr. B goes and fills out a police report and calls his insurance company saying Mr. A was backing out of a parking spot and hit him cracking the bumper.

Now what? Mr. B made a story up that he is not at fault.

Police report is never filled out by Mr. A and he doesn’t report it to his insurance company, guess what? Mr. A is now at fault because he didn’t give his side of the story and it will be to late when he finds out upon the renewal of his policy.

Police report is never filled out by Mr. A and he doesn’t report it to his insurance company, guess what? Mr. A is now at fault because he didn’t give his side of the story and it will be to late when he finds out upon the renewal of his policy.
Is it that normal for your insurance company not to notify you that there has been a claim against you? When I made a claim against someone he called me later that day after receiving a call from his company. My Dad once ended up in a similar situation as your story but his company called him when the other person made a claim.

In my Dad's case a kid ran a stop sign and clobbered my Dad's car. The damage to his vehicle was actually fairly minor, it was an old beater, and he felt bad for this kid that was obviously a student. Kid's car was quite wrecked but I think still driveable. Anyway, Dad agrees not to file a claim or make the kid pay because he doesn't care about the car and doesn't want to stress out a struggling student any further. 2 weeks later he gets a call from insurance that the kid made a claim against him. I'm not sure what his story was but it did take some convincing before they'd believe my Dad's side of the story.

All insurance companies and Brokers call the client on these situations, as Brokers we call 2-3 times, send email, and letter, 50% of the time nobody responds, I'm not sure if they are afraid of the outcome, or why are we calling regarding a claim, Insurance company is not suppose to know there was an accident, all we want is to clarify what happen and if the client doesn't call back, that accident will be assign at fault.

I could never understand why people even back into parking spots.
THANK YOU - I have this argument with my wife every time, I wonder if the person backing into the spot is going to rob a bank.

Over 25 years driving and yet to hit anything backing out of a spot and I got no fancy sensors or cameras.

Last edited:
THANK YOU - I have this argument with my wife every time, I wonder if the person backing into the spot is going to rob a bank.
Over 25 years driving and yet to hit anything backing out of a spot and I got no fancy sensors or cameras.

This is one of those topics that will be split 50/50 on who agrees we should back into a parking spot or go straight in.
I personally think it’s easier to back into a spot, than having to back out, it’s hard to see if you have two SUV on each side if there is a car coming or not.
I tell my wife to park far away where there is no one around her, or back into a spot so it’s easier to see if there is anyone coming when pulling out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom