Historic planes in GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Historic planes in GTA

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I want to take a picture of my bike next to an older plane somewhere in the GTA area this weekend. I see there is the aviation museum in Hamilton, but before going out there, I wanted to see what other options exist. I want to be able to get my bike as close as possible to the plane - ideally right next to it and prefer something other than Pearson, unless there is a historical plane that sits somewhere there where I can get a nice shot. A group of older planes all lined up in a row would be awesome.

Any suggestions?

Is downsview closed now? I think it might be.

Haliburton has a CF100 on a stand, it wouldn't be hard to get a bike close to the base, but it may be an awkward angle to shoot.
DSC_6786-350x232.jpg

Trenton Airbase had a lancaster (IIRC) that they were restoring, but I think you need to know somebody involved to get close to it.

Good luck, post the shots when done.

You seem to do a lot of travelling on bike and into the states. There may be better opportunities/option south of the border where there are more aircraft museums...

just a thought :shrug:

What about legions? Many have ground vehicles parked in front, does anyone know of a plane?

Downsview is now closed, otherwise that would have been the perfect spot. I've been to the one up in Haliburton, but was hoping for something a bit closer. I think there is also an old railway car there. Same goes for travelling south of the border, but the one in Dunnville might be good, although again - it's a bit far.
I vaguely remember there being one along the Lakeshore, maybe just west of the TipTop lofts, or near where that large inukshuk stands on the west side of Coronation Park. I'm heading into the city right now and will pass by the Lakeshore site and see if there is one there.

Good suggestions - thanks!

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton has a plane on a stick out front. Other than that all other planes are inside the hanger or on the tarmac, you won't be getting your bike by one. Go and visit the museum though it's great. The Lancaster has had it loaner engine pulled right now.

I vaguely remember there being one along the Lakeshore, maybe just west of the TipTop lofts, or near where that large inukshuk stands on the west side of Coronation Park.

That was the Avro Lancaster up on a stand, it's long gone. Dismantled in the early 2000s and moved to Hamilton for restoration.

207.jpg

I gave the grey cells a nudge and remember two others:
CF-5 Freedom Fighter at Yukon and Sheppard Downsview at DCIEM. A/C is behind a fence on grass and may not be approachable.
CT-133 Silver Star in Creemore near the Legion. Asphalt around and you should be able to get your bike as close or closer than the CF-100.

F86 in a little park at the top of Stephenson Road in Oshawa

URL=http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/99Roadstar1/media/My%20Bikes/imagejpg1_zpse7628d9b.jpg.html]
imagejpg1_zpse7628d9b.jpg
[/URL]

Behind the rink in Trento

URL=http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/99Roadstar1/media/My%20Bikes/imagejpg1_zpse9bdace8.jpg.html]
imagejpg1_zpse9bdace8.jpg
[/URL]

Whole bunch of planes at CFB Borden

T33 - Borden

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]

RCAF Museum - Trenton

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][/FONT]

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag474/99Roadstar1/My Bikes/imagejpg1_zpse7628d9b.jpg

Last edited:
Downsview is closed but lots of display planes you can get your bike close to at CFB Borden - I've posted some shots but there are many planes you can get:

CF100 Canuck
CF101 Voo Doo
F86 Sabre
CF 104 Starfighter
F5 Freedom Fighter

lots of tanks and other cool artillery pieces also on display.

RCAF museum at Trenton is also great but you can't park your bike next to them.

edit
----/-//-

also, so, check out the Markham airport - Markham Road just south of Stoufville - they have a couple of F5s and a 104 next to the flight school and a bunch of stuff in the back but you can't likely get to it.

Last edited:
That was the Avro Lancaster up on a stand, it's long gone. Dismantled in the early 2000s and moved to Hamilton for restoration.

The restored Lancaster in Hamilton is from Goderich, it was on a stick at the Legion and was flying in late '88.

http://www.warplane.com/vintage-aircraft-collection/aircraft-history.aspx?aircraftId=4

The Lancaster from downtown TO is currently in storage mid-restoration since the eviction of the museum at Downsview.

http://avrolancasterfm104.com/history

Anyone interested in military aircraft should definitely take the time to go to the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum in Dayton,Ohio.It is absolutely mindblowing.It has military aircraft from WW1 to the present as well as a few ICBM's and decomissioned atomic bombs to boot.They also have captured German and Japanese aircraft from the second World War.By far the best museum I have ever been to.Admisson is free.

Haliburton also has a Sherman that you can pretty much park right next to

Back
Top Bottom