beginner track courses | GTAMotorcycle.com

beginner track courses

wcheng

Hi gents, I've been riding for a few years now and was interested in taking a beginners track course. I was looking for something that provided the bike as well as a suit.

Questions:
Have you taken something like this before?
Where would you recommend going/who to sign up with?
Would you rent a suit or buy one?
I heard it would be best to book during the motorcycle show, when is it this year?

I'm just an average street rider, owning a 09 fz6r for two years and currently with a 11 gsxr600 for the past two years. Been to shannonville with my old Subaru before but never with a bike and I would like to learn how to lean and manoeuvre properly.

Any help/insight would be great! Looking to sign up for 2015. Thanks a lot.

There's also FAST that's done at shannonville where they also offer leathers and bikes.

If this is going to be a once a year type of thing I would just rent a suit.

"end thread" because he thinks they are the best and the OP should not consider any other alternatives. Or maybe he's buddies with Racer5.

OP, from your post I am assuming that you are interested in either improving your street riding or you are interested in exploring track day riding. You don't state anything about wanting to learn about racing.

Between myself and my 2 kids we have collectively completed FAST 1, FAST 2, RACER5 1-4.

So if you want to maybe experience track riding but have no interest in racing, either FAST 1 or RACER5 1-2 are good.

Both rent bikes. Both have equipment for you. Both have good instructors for this. Make your decision based on cost, travel distance and schedule.

If you think in the back of your mind that you might want to experiment with racing, taking RACER5 1-3 would give you a safe feel for that option which FAST can't offer you.

Racer5 is offered at Grand Bend which is way west
FAST is offered at Shannonville which is way east

We are lucky to have two great track instruction providers, so pick which one will make the most sense to you.

Best prices and deals are offered at the bike show. Good luck.

OP, from your post I am assuming that you are interested in either improving your street riding or you are interested in exploring track day riding. You don't state anything about wanting to learn about racing.

Between myself and my 2 kids we have collectively completed FAST 1, FAST 2, RACER5 1-4.

So if you want to maybe experience track riding but have no interest in racing, either FAST 1 or RACER5 1-2 are good.

Both rent bikes. Both have equipment for you. Both have good instructors for this. Make your decision based on cost, travel distance and schedule.

If you think in the back of your mind that you might want to experiment with racing, taking RACER5 1-3 would give you a safe feel for that option which FAST can't offer you.

I did Fast 1 & 2 two years ago and Racer 5 1-3 this year. Both are good, but Racer 5 starts on smaller bikes which allows you to focus more on building skills & technique with less intimidation. The Racer 5 program also set me up to do a couple endurance races, which were a blast. Something really fun about passing a bigger bike in the corners because you had the skills to carry more speed in! Endurance races are fun because its a team, and there's not as much pressure to go b*!!s to the wall for 5 or 10 laps. It's a good way to see if racing interests you or not, with out the investment in a race bike or leathers (Racer 5 rents everything but your lid).

FAST rents small bikes as well.

3 days of Racer5 for 1-3 is also a lot of money for someone who may only be looking to experience riding track for a day.

Last edited:
FAST also has a phase 3 and the ninja 300s. I've taken 1 and 2 and had a great expirience. Two of my track buddies have taken them both, and preferred FAST. However I believe it was a personality thing, both felt more comfortable at SMP.

I did Fast 1 & 2 two years ago and Racer 5 1-3 this year. Both are good, but Racer 5 starts on smaller bikes which allows you to focus more on building skills & technique with less intimidation. The Racer 5 program also set me up to do a couple endurance races, which were a blast. Something really fun about passing a bigger bike in the corners because you had the skills to carry more speed in! Endurance races are fun because its a team, and there's not as much pressure to go b*!!s to the wall for 5 or 10 laps. It's a good way to see if racing interests you or not, with out the investment in a race bike or leathers (Racer 5 rents everything but your lid).
I might be wrong, but i believe that with the changes in schedule, Racer5 no longer does endurance with us, at least i didn't see them on the final Endurance Races at SOAR.

Back
Top Bottom