Another question for the trades guys here | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another question for the trades guys here

Isn't every job in the world kinda sorta goal-oriented? I never understood the 9-5 mentality... checking in and out on the minute, worrying about being 15 minutes late, etc. It's such a weird concept. It definitely is an old-world mentality.

If you finish your tasks, it really shouldn't matter if it took you 6 or 8 or 12 hours. I bet that 80% of the office jobs in downtown Toronto could easily be done from home. If the work is being completed, who cares what the clock says.

We have the technology now, it's only a matter of time.

Exactly my point - It is all in the corporate mentality. Most people that run companies are old school, get in at 7am and leave at 7pm type of folks so to them not being able to micro manage people visually is a really hard concept.

But also there are always the ******** that abuse the system and ruin it for all of us.

Nailed it.

Details on trades wages well to put things into perspective... a house framer crew leader who is productive fast and clean with 1 employee can put a 3000-3500sq ft home up in 4 weeks missing the 1 day a week or 3 weeks in prime weather. The house pays more or less $20000. Workers payroll is $25hrly plus 10% vacation pay plus 9% comp,roughly $35 total hourly times 130 hours to build the house. So the worker takes 3900 leaving $16100 gross before cost of nails..fuel costs...and of course tax. Plus the builder pays the 20% of the full price of the house to the union on behalf of the subcontractor and employees for full benefits...life ...dental..glasses ..and a nice little pension which can be accessed at 55 with deductions or full pension at 65 years of age. Which will give you 3400 -4000 monthly depending on your credits. So doing the math $16000 /130 hrs equals $120 hourly before costs. Keep in mind not all are productive as I've seen 4-5 man crews take a month to build and on the other end crazy fast with 2 men build in 2 weeks. Some guys shut down in the winter so the numbers of course over the period of the year would change. Keep in mind its damn hard and dangerous work and is not for everyone but the skills gained can help with many other things like flip houses... I do that here and there and most other things like trim.. drywall.. flooring and frame of course. I finished my basement for $6500 all in done in 3 weeks adding 35-50 k of value to the house over last christmas.

So there's my take.. I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $500 gross daily

Sorry for the length but I had to get it all in there.

I thought that the was a lot of piecework in the housing end of things?
Has that changed?

I've seen some disastrous houses built, from people rushing things and messing up.

Just to keep the ball rolling and providing additional context imagine your dimwitted self @ home pickin and a peckin (toejamb and keyboard) when some "union" dude rings up with directive - $1000+ plus benefits for a 4 day week pronto. A guy could do way worse.

I thought that the was a lot of piecework in the housing end of things?
Has that changed?

I've seen some disastrous houses built, from people rushing things and messing up.

Yes Baggsy that is correct it is piecework based on a sq footage rate plus extras....example $95 to install steel column supporting beam taking all of 5 mins but with extras some you win some you lose. Basically all trades in residential are piece work

Also correct on disasters.... they work for someone for a year or two and think they know it all then go out and buy tools and jump in head first taking months to build then a couple of days to renovate LOL. These are the first to be out of work when things slow down. This is the problem with Ontario no governing body controlling the trade like the RED SEAL certification in the west. I have kept busy for the last 15 years and have never been out of work.

Back
Top Bottom