Narrowing lanes in Toronto? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Narrowing lanes in Toronto?

Wasn't there recently changes to the HTA, including rules to provide 1 metre distance when passing cyclists. So, does this road narrowing initiative conflict with the new HTA rules? Could you get fined for not yielding the space to cyclists though you're physically unable to without endangering others on the road? :dontknow:

Not to worry, Toronto traffic actually moves slower than the speed of an average cyclist, so car drivers will find that conflict is a moot point. ;)

(I'm only half joking there. I consistently find that a bicycle is hands down the fastest way to get around the core. It really is that jammed up and slow most of the time).

To be honest though, I think that already creates a conflict on roads without passing lanes. If we assume two or three feet of space for the average cyclist, there's rarely enough room for a car to pass with a metre's clearance within the same lane. Even as they are now, the lanes aren't that wide.

Last edited:
The city couldn't organize a picnic let alone getting all the utilities to do their thing at the same time and only need to rip up the road once.

That's part of it, but I mean, I see even stuff like potholes that get filled in and they look like the road has frikkin' goosepimples a day later. Or someone lays down tar snakes and two weeks later the snakes are all ripped out and spread over the road like so many tar turds.

I mean do the crews doing this have guns to their heads or just do not give even the slightest **** or... what? I'm not saying our road crews were ever doing the greatest work but it was at least acceptable. So what changed?

These are make work projects.
Think about they make more money doing the same thing several times.
conflict of interest
we conflict with their intere$t$

who ever thought it was a good idea to narrow lanes on the 401 after Avenue road to before Yonge for construction purposes this time of the year can go F*&&^ HIMSELF! :mad:

/rant

who ever thought it was a good idea to narrow lanes on the 401 after Avenue road to before Yonge for construction purposes this time of the year can go F*&&^ HIMSELF! :mad:

/rant

He who controls the orange traffic cones, controls the world.

Why is it that for every 2 steps forward a politician makes, he takes a step back. Examples are the new speed limit on Dufferin north of Major MacKenzie reduced from 80 kph to 60 kph. This is a country road effectively unchanged with little new development in the last 5 years, although future development will surely follow. Half the traffic wants to travel at the posted limit while others want to go what is and has always been safe on that stretch of road, 80 kph. That makes for some unnecessary and unsafe traffic interaction. The police get it, why don't the politicians?

It's totally obsurd when this is compared to the 60 kph limit on Finch west of 400 hwy and which is dotted with strip malls and high volume of TTC vehicles and usual traffic. Any way to get those Toronto politicians up to Richmond Hill? And please, no Fords, I can only laugh so long when watching Letterman and Kimmel comment.

Wasn't there recently changes to the HTA, including rules to provide 1 metre distance when passing cyclists. So, does this road narrowing initiative conflict with the new HTA rules? Could you get fined for not yielding the space to cyclists though you're physically unable to without endangering others on the road? :dontknow:

Lane changes required to pass cyclists. No endangering others, but it will surely bugger up traffic (even more).

Technically cyclists have the right to occupy the entire lane already, it is just a courtesy (and safer) to keep to the right and allow cars to share it.

Why is it that for every 2 steps forward a politician makes, he takes a step back. Examples are the new speed limit on Dufferin north of Major MacKenzie reduced from 80 kph to 60 kph. This is a country road effectively unchanged with little new development in the last 5 years, although future development will surely follow. Half the traffic wants to travel at the posted limit while others want to go what is and has always been safe on that stretch of road, 80 kph. That makes for some unnecessary and unsafe traffic interaction. The police get it, why don't the politicians?

Cops are fishing in there at the bottom of the hill every few weeks. Normally a stealth explorer. Never saw the cop before the speed limit dropped.

Dozens of times I have seen people use the left hand turn lane as a passing lane through there (many easily over 172 speeds with 60 km/h limit).

Wow, not a lot of cyclists on this forum eh? Narrowing roads to add a bike lane is a great idea. I live in the downtown core and riding a moto and a bicycle is by far a hell of alot quicker to commute than a car. Only issue is car drivers get all squirrely being jammed up in traffic making it not too safe for their two-wheeled friends. Adding bike lanes will encourage more cyclists like myself who also drive, which will reduce cars and ease congestion.

Wow, not a lot of cyclists on this forum eh? Narrowing roads to add a bike lane is a great idea. I live in the downtown core and riding a moto and a bicycle is by far a hell of alot quicker to commute than a car. Only issue is car drivers get all squirrely being jammed up in traffic making it not too safe for their two-wheeled friends. Adding bike lanes will encourage more cyclists like myself who also drive, which will reduce cars and ease congestion.

How does a motorcycle get through traffic any faster without breaking laws? The only time my commute is any quicker is when I use the small size of my bike to make illegal passes. So tempting to use the bike lane when you're stuck 50 ft from an intersection for 30 minutes and traffic is clear past that intersection but I've been told that would be highly illegal.

How does a motorcycle get through traffic any faster without breaking laws? The only time my commute is any quicker is when I use the small size of my bike to make illegal passes. So tempting to use the bike lane when you're stuck 50 ft from an intersection for 30 minutes and traffic is clear past that intersection but I've been told that would be highly illegal.

Thats another thing to look at if Toronto really wants to tackle congestion, not to use the bike lane but to do this...
[video=youtube;kWh0t1fX_EY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWh0t1fX_EY[/video]

Thats another thing to look at if Toronto really wants to tackle congestion, not to use the bike lane but to do this...
[video=youtube;kWh0t1fX_EY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWh0t1fX_EY[/video]

Yeah but they'll never make splitting/filtering legal.

Hippy!

On a serious note, so we are narrowing lanes so a few cyclists can have a fantastic time for the few months the streets are not cover in snow? Awesome

Hippy!

On a serious note, so we are narrowing lanes so a few cyclists can have a fantastic time for the few months the streets are not cover in snow? Awesome

Even in the summer most bike lanes that aren't right in the middle of downtown are empty probably 90% of the time, anyway. I have the same argument for the street car lanes on St. Clair. I wouldn't mind them if they were occupied often but for a single vehicle (street car) to only come down the lane once every 10 minutes or so, it just seems like a lot of wasted road. They don't even use it for buses or emergency vehicles.

ZX600 said:

unL33T said:
Even in the summer most bike lanes that aren't right in the middle of downtown are empty probably 90% of the time, anyway. I have the same argument for the street car lanes on St. Clair. I wouldn't mind them if they were occupied often but for a single vehicle (street car) to only come down the lane once every 10 minutes or so, it just seems like a lot of wasted road. They don't even use it for buses or emergency vehicles.

The facts point to increased ridership with the introduction of protected and separated bike lanes
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/09/11/sherbourne_lanes_a_cycling_success_that_should_inspire_more_says_councillor.html

I don't doubt one bit that there is increased ridership. But if the increased ridership is still only a handful of people, is it worthwhile?

But there's not enough of you to make a difference in exchange for the lost driving space (and that driving space is needed because most drivers don't have alternative), plus 95% of you disappears for 5 months of a year due to weather. It makes sense as an alternative, but for very narrow margin of commuters. You, living downtown, should either use transit or walk, no?

This is the crazy think about Toronto and GTA public transit. it's the least subsidized system in North-America without large competition, which means that it is one of the least if not the least subsidized system in the developed world once we compare it with the size and importance of Toronto. They keep trying the silly things, like lane narrowing, instead throwing money in and use them effectively to transport masses per dollar spent. They are trying to re-invent wheel, yet the world is moving on while Toronto is watching with a mouth wide open.

The new TTC chair is saying the right things, but nor him or the new mayor can write large checks (except for the mayor to raise taxes). Wynne and Harper do ....

Last edited:
I don't doubt one bit that there is increased ridership. But if the increased ridership is still only a handful of people, is it worthwhile?

That's for the Toronto Public Works and Infrastructure Committee to perform the study and recommend for or against

That's for the Toronto Public Works and Infrastructure Committee to perform the study and recommend for or against
and for the politicians with their own *** and interests in mind to make the final decision.

they will always recommend FOR when it's a chance to increase Govt...that my observations thus far.
if the interest rate creeps up 1% then watch the condo bubble go bang

Back
Top Bottom