Narrowing lanes in Toronto? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Narrowing lanes in Toronto?

iFly55

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/do-narrow-lanes-improve-traffic-flow-1.2849891

If driving lanes on University Avenue were narrower, motorists would drive more slowly.

That's the theory proposed to the city in a memo from Stephen Buckley, the general manger of the city's transportation services division.

He says that more narrow lanes will slow down traffic. He suggests anywhere from 3 to 4.3 metre lanes, depending on location. The narrowing would occur by adding bike lanes or medians to the streets, or in some cases, widening sidewalks.

So far, only Danforth and University avenues have been floated as possible streets on which to apply the concept.

Buckley also says that with a bit of traffic light synchronizing, the narrow lanes will actually smooth out the flow of cars streaming down the streets — that is, less stops and starts.

That's something mayor-elect John Tory says he wants to see more of.

"It's a genuine attempt...to make traffic move more smoothly and safely," said Tory on Tuesday at city hall.

The mayor elect, who takes office Dec. 2, says he would like to look at the proposal more closely, to "read the fine print" he says. Until then, he does not approve the project, but does not disapprove either.

"To me, if it enhances public safety and causes traffic to move more smoothly... I'm not going to raise my voice against it," he says.

A number of North American cities already have narrowed streets, including San Francisco, Boston and New York.​

Yeah, let's narrow lanes... Sounds like a great plan. Maybe they should try to repair them first, before spending money on narrowing the garbage asphalt that is there....

I get what they are tying to do and in some part agree that narrow lanes will cause some drivers to be more cautious.
It may well decrease severe accidents, but I see an increase in minor accidents since most drivers have no idea on the size of their vehicle.
The argument that it will help congestion I cannot see at all, unless they are narrowing to a point of adding a lane which I can't see happening.
Apparently they have already narrowed the lanes on a couple streets downtown already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to presume they build the lanes to be a safe width regardless of speed so I fail to see how this would improve anything beyond making it more likely to result in small collisions. As it is people can't stay in their lanes downtown and many people I get stuck behind will literally drive with the lane divider down the middle of their car.

I really hate this whole kick on slowing everything down in this city. Oh, your commute takes an hour to go 10 km? We better make things slower. Wtf? How about we teach people to drive properly, teach pedestrians not to jump in front of cars, and double the limits? There's something I'd vote for.

The reality is the future of downtown commuting is to force people to leave cars at home and use public transit. Look at cities like London.
The GTA has grown from 1.5 to 5 million in 30 years, and that whole time people have been arguing about infrastructure spending, while literally nothing got done. Now, the city is trapped in real estate bubble that means they will vote for a potted fern, as long as that fern does not raise taxes. So, it will only get worse folks.

Driving up University does feel like you're suddenly racing at Spa Francorchamps. Me likes.

For someone that campaigned on making traffic better, he sure sounds like is winging it.

So far I have heard nice speech, well articulated, telling everyone what they want to hear, but if you listen to his words closely, none of what he has said means nothing.

he surely is well groomed, unlike our last one... he would look well on top of a Wedding cake.

I think I live in a Bizarro world, this morning there was a survey that says 55% of people enjoy their commute and then I hear that instead of dealing with the real issues, they want to narrow Toronto Cities.

The problem with Toronto Grid lock is cars going too fast! mmmmkkkaaayyyy
tumblr_lo5tyidRA81qzgxtm.gif

Last edited:
For someone that campaigned on making traffic better, he sure sounds like is winging it.

So far I have heard nice speech, well articulated, telling everyone what they want to hear, but if you listen to his words closely, none of what he has said means nothing.

he surely is well groomed, unlike our last one... he would look well on top of a Wedding cake.

That's the goal of any politician. The mayor of Aurora said that the town would be interested in buying a recently closed golf course for the right price. Well the price is easily well over $100,000,000 which they can in no way afford (and it would be ridiculous to do even if they did have the money). Saying straight up too bad, so sad doesn't work in our system even though it is reality.

Don't tell me they closed St Andrews, I love that golf course.
That's the goal of any politician. The mayor of Aurora said that the town would be interested in buying a recently closed golf course for the right price. Well the price is easily well over $100,000,000 which they can in no way afford (and it would be ridiculous to do even if they did have the money). Saying straight up too bad, so sad doesn't work in our system even though it is reality.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's narrow lanes... Sounds like a great plan. Maybe they should try to repair them first, before spending money on narrowing the garbage asphalt that is there....

Hahaha, I hear that.

Man, has anyone noticed the quality of the patch jobs has just gone to complete **** in the past year or so? I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm seeing patches now where they haven't even bothered to try and get it flat. It's so bad that some of the patches have the height differential of a bus wave or worse.

I'm curious if city staff are trying to hustle contrators around more, rushing them to complete work without enough time, or if there's some change at the contractors end where the staff doesn't give a damn anymore or what happened? Not that our small-time road repair work was great before, but geez, I can never recall it being this bad.

They did this in Kingston. Put in a load of bike lanes to make the politicos seem green. What it's done is remove a ton of on street parking so that's now a nightmare and and soon as the snow comes there's no damn cyclists anyway. Total waste of time and money.

sounds like more bike lanes in the making

so what space is left for cars to move out of the way to allow emergency vehicles to pass??? duh!

Where I live (Clarkson) there are bike lanes that you never ever see bicycles on. And street lights everywhere. Those bike lanes are being constantly ran over by cars because streets are too narrow in curves. There is a bike lane on Royal Windsor that is so covered by dirt and gravel that you can't even see it. Half the traffic on that street are heavy trucks. It's a commercial area. Idiocy is not limited to downtown.

Nevertheless, it seems to focus there. Downtown is ugly, miss planned and outdated. There should be other priorities than slowing grid locked traffic.

sounds like more bike lanes in the making

so what space is left for cars to move out of the way to allow emergency vehicles to pass??? duh!

That's why they call it an eco-logical! Without expanded (and heaven forbid properly run) transit, it's all p-issing in the wind, as has been proven in EVERY MAJOR CITY WORLDWIDE FOR AT LEAST 50 YEARS. Computerized traffic lights, narrow/HOV lanes, bicycle lanes and tolls are tweaks at best. Fat modern vehicles and texting idiots probably erase whatever effect they might have. The roads have run out of space. Rocket science? No. It's just that governing doesn't mean what we think it means anymore. Now it's just a synonym for pandering, cronyism, incompetence and outright corruption. Thumbs down, Toronto. Again.

Back
Top Bottom